“Basic but not cheap”

Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Waterfront
Ranked #48 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 13 November 2013

This hotel is situated very close to the Royal Yacht Britannia and as such a useful base. Bus transport into Edinburgh is very good. We found the hotel perfectly fit for purpose and the breakfast quite good, but all at a rather high price. Maybe we were a bit unlucky with our timing, including a Saturday night, but we did think it expensive. No other complaints, however, about the place which we found clean, warm and friendly.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
GMexpressedinburgh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear jencuth,
Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.
I’m glad that you enjoyed our location and found our hotel to be clean, warm and friendly.
Saturday nights are the busiest nights of the week for us (and Edinburgh as a whole) and as such our rates reflect this demand especially during holiday periods.
We do offer some value for money rates over weekends, especially from January to April and I do hope that you will have the opportunity to take advantage of these rates should you visit us again in the future.
Kind regards,
Andrew

Write a ReviewReviews (1,497)

Reviewed 11 November 2013

location of the hotel is good with shoping mall closeby we thought the room was quite small and the breakfast was very dissappointing offering poorly cooked scrambled eggs cheap sausages ,cheap bread .
the next time we will look elsewhere for a room

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
GMexpressedinburgh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Dear jmacdo,
Many thanks for reviewing your recent stay with us.
I’m glad that you enjoyed the location of the hotel but am sorry that you found your room to be small as all rooms in Holiday Inn Express hotels are of the same standard size.
As well as our hot offerings of sausage, beans and scrambled egg on our free breakfast buffet, we also offer a wide range of other items, including cheese, yoghurts, fresh fruit, grapefruit segments, croissants, a choice of mini muffins, bread rolls, a selection of cereals and I’m sorry that you did not enjoy our breakfast choices.
Kind regards,
Andrew

Reviewed 9 November 2013

I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone. As a party of 6, we stayed in three twin rooms, all extremely cheap (around £33 per room with breakfast free) which was fantastic as we were on a budget. The staff at the front were friendly, very helpful and welcoming. The room was extremely clean and comfortable. The beds were so comfy to sleep on and the television was a good size. The breakfast was good with varied hot and cold options and open to a later time for those who want a sleep in on a Saturday!

Good location for buses, shopping and dining. Fantastic value and excellent hotel. Will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 November 2013

It was a place to sleep that's about it. The breakfast was what you would expect. The room was a bed, a bathroom, and a tv. I had difficulty sleeping due to a number of factors including noise of the buses (I used to live in Edinburgh so I would be well used to the noise of the city but this was unreal), the noise of the heating system (which did not work properly), and the cold because the heating system was lacking and there was cold air coming in the fully closed window. The staff were helpful and assisted us in booking a tour of the highlands. We were informed that this tour would drop us back to the hotel but this did not happen, I do not know whether that was the hotel's mistake or the tour company. The location was not an issue for me as I knew where I would be staying. If you want to get the bus directly from the airport to the hotel it is almost 2 hrs but if you get the quick bus into the centre and then the 22 out it only takes about an hour.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
GMexpressedinburgh, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear NMcGar,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I’m pleased that our staff helped you to book your Highland Tour but am sorry for the confusion over the coach taking you back to the hotel after the tour. Sometimes the driver will drop you back at the hotel if the coach is heading straight back to the depot which is located near to the hotel. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I am sorry to hear that you found your room to be cold and to be noisy. If you choose to stay with us again please add a request to your reservation for a room on the rear of the building. The rooms on the back of the hotel are away from the road so there will be less traffic noise. Our front desk team can also help with using the heating system or provide you with an extra heater should it be required for that extra boost in temperature.

I hope that you will choose to stay with us again.

Best Regards,

Fiona
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed 7 November 2013

I have stayed at a lot of hotels, b&b's and holiday lets this year whilst working and in the past few months l have started going back to Travelodge as they are getting better beds and have been generally cleaning up their act, more importantly they take dogs!

Holiday Inn now has a few hotels who take dogs and l have started using them whilst staying overnight in Northern England and Scotland, they were always a better class of hotel than Travelodge imo but l have to be honest that gap has closed recently and this Holiday Inn Express is testament to that, it was Travelodge with a Holiday Inn Express badge!

I was welcomed at reception with a smile after I arrived in the very early hours of the morning and was given the usual Gold Elite letter and my key card etc, The first impression is always critical for me and my room was spotless, housekeeping should be commended. There was a large air conditioning unit in the room which had simple instructions for use, there was a large television with remote which had adequate channel selection. It was all going good but the bubble quickly burst with the bed, it looked really inviting and the labelled pillow selection (Soft and Hard) had me ready to enter a coma, unfortunately that was as far as it got.......the pillows were all firm and the bed was even firmer, l did not get a good sleep and at some stages of my second night l was considering joining the dog on her bed.........the floor!

To finish l would say "YES" to going here again but l would have to be stuck it certainly isn't in my top 10 in Edinburgh, tbh lm gradually falling out of love with Holiday Inn and there Express Inn's which is a bit inconvenient as l am about to get my Platinum Status with IHG, this is more for the Crowne Plaza and Indigo Hotel chains however, can't take your dog in there though!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank BillyDixon

Dear BillyDixon,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us.

I’m pleased to hear that you were welcomed to the hotel with a smile and that your room was spotless. Our reception and housekeeping teams work hard to maintain high standards of customer service and room quality.

I am sorry that you found your bed and pillows to be too firm. As you have mentioned, one of our standards is to offer a choice of soft and firm pillows to our guests. Further to your comments we will encourage the housekeeping team to double check that the correct pillows are in the rooms. If you do choose to stay with us again please contact any member of the team if any aspect of your stay is not to your satisfaction and they will do everything in their power to put it right straight away.

Thank you once again for your review and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Best Regards,
Fiona
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed 5 November 2013

A great weekend trip to Edinburgh with specific attractions to see one being the Royal yacht Britannia. This hotel is ideally situated for this, economical comfortable although rooms a little tight but typical of this budget end -well appointed with all you need. staff all very friendly and beds comfortable ideal for a short break.

Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Holiday inn Waterfront in Edinburgh was the best hotel I stayed in among the ones we stayed in at Dublin and Glasgow (Oct 24-26). It really was the most comfortable and the only hotel on my vacation that I was looking forward to going back to after a 10 hr sightseeing day!!! The staff was excellent from helping us with bus Change, finding bus station, and get my bedsheets for me! We also got our rooms in the morning when we cked in instead at 2pm. That was a big PLUS. The complimentary breakfast was excellent. Eggs, sausages, muffins, croissants, cereal, and for the healthy people... Yogurt, fruits, cheese! Tons of different type of teas, coffee, and I think 3 types of juices. Just excellent. Its a distance from central, but not bad, just take the bus...bus 35. If you wanna start from Palace of Holyrood, stop there. Then walk up the Royal Mile.... Not a bad walk, because you pass by tons of other sites, souviner shops, restaurants and pubs, all the way to Edinburgh Castle. So well worth the walk!!!!!! Walk back down to South Bridge street & take the 35 bus from there!!!!!!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends