1,596 results
All reviews ocean terminal the royal yacht britannia hi express bus stop right outside the hotel bus service free wifi day ticket the sofa bed frequent buses budget hotel breakfast was included number bus minute bus ride yogurt short stay tea and coffee bars and restaurants
Reviewed 10 April 2014

This Holiday Inn Express is right on the waterfront near the Oceanside shopping centre and the moored Royal Yacht Brittania. A fairly new hotel so rooms were spotless and beds very comfy. Breakfast the next morning was excellent with a very good choice. Bus stop right out the front took us to Royal Mile and Edinburgh Castle. Great service from all staff.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
GMexpressedinburgh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Leith Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear guest,
Many thanks for reviewing your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted that you found your room to be spotless and your bed to be comfortable.
I’m so glad that you enjoyed our free Express Start hot buffet breakfast and felt that our staff provided great service during your stay.
We hope that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

We are a family of 4 and have been in Edinburgh visiting relatives. We have had a wonderful few days, the staff at this hotel are all excellent cannot say a negative word. They are always smiling and you are made to feel that nothing is too much trouble. Great location clean and very comfortable an extra special thank you to the manager (he was on duty both on our arrival on Sunday and again on our departure today at the front desk and actually last night too!) who I am sure is behind the success of this happy team. Have stayed here in the past and would not hesitate to stay here again. Thank you Janis

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank JKD866
GMexpressedinburgh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Leith Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Janis,
Thank you so much for your review of your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted that you had a wonderful few days and that you found are staff to be excellent.
I’m glad that you enjoyed our location and felt that our hotel was clean and comfortable.
Douglas will be chuffed to have been singled out for a mention as he always ensures that the team that he is on shift with provide a happy and relaxed atmosphere for our guests to enjoy.
We do hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stayed here in February 2013 whist at Murrayfield for the Wales v Scotland Rugby International and enjoyed our stay so much we decided to return for a Edinburgh mini-break.
Like last year, we found the hotel to be ideal for our needs well run with pleasant, courteous and helpful staff. Ideally situated for a visit to the Royal Yacht Britannia which is located just less than five minute walk away, it also has a bus stop right outside with a very regular bus service into the city. The hotel offers a 'free' breakfast which is adequate and plentiful. Pick your time to go for breakfast, get it wrong and it can resemble a bit of a rugby scrum when seating becomes a premium. That said, they do open the conference room which is annexed to the dining area and offers additional seating. The rooms are functional, clean and serviced on a daily basis and ideal for a short stay which is what these hotels are intended for.
Now the one bug bear, the WI-Fi is a pain and slow! Although an improvement on the paltry six hours per day offered last year, it is not; in my opinion, user friendly. We were allocated free WI-Fi for the duration of our stay for which you are given a code to enter along with your name and address. No problem there and in my experience, the norm. The real pain is having to keep entering all this detail each time you leave the hotel and then return later in the day/evening or even sometimes when moving between the bar/seating are and your room. The set up appears not to let your device(s) log on to known networks.
Notwithstanding the above gripe, I think this hotel offers value for money, has everything you need and is ideally located for a quiet break and within easy walking distance of some fine eatery's on what is termed as the 'shore.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear David H,
Welcome back and thank you so much for reviewing your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted that you were happy with the most aspects of your stay though I apologise for the frustration that is caused when using our fee wi-fi access.
The good news is that a new log-in portal is being rolled out across our hotels and this will help enormously in eradicating the log in issues that you encountered.
It’s my understanding that this new portal will be available by the end of May and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future when you can take advantage of the improved free wi-fi access that we offer.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Visited this hotel for a one night stay hotel room clean and tidy staff pleasant an helpfull , but the biggest letdown by far was breakfast . Much is made by the hotel to say breakfast is free but that is no excuse to offer such bland basic food . Coffee and tea from machines not very nice at all . Toasters that are very slow , no tongs ,fruit juice watery mushy grapefruit I could go on ! this is the first time we have visited a Holiday Inn hotel and probably the last !

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank GlennChesterLeStreet
GMexpressedinburgh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Leith Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear GlennChesterLeStreet,
Many thanks for posting a review of your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted that you were happy with most aspects of your stay and scored us highly for our cleanliness, rooms and location.
I’m sorry that you did not enjoy our free breakfast as this is well received by the majority of our guests.
I’m also sorry that you will not choose to visit a Holiday Inn again, though I do hope that you may have a change of heart and give the Holiday Inn Express brand another chance.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Review refers to a 4 night leisure stay last week.
We use HIE regularly now and this did not disappoint.
We travelled up to Scotland by car, and wanted somewhere to stay in or close to the city but with free parking and good public transport to all attractions.
This fitted the bill perfectly.
Located near the waterfront at Leith, adjacent to a bus terminus, and with a mall across the road.

Check in was straightforward ( although I thought the reception was a bit too eager to tell me that the IHG priority Club points would not be given as I had made the booking via a third party website rather than directly online- something I had not realised but did not bother me).

The room was a mix up- I must have ticked or not ticked the right box so we ended up with an Accessible room, which we do not need. We offered to change- someone who needed these facilities should have preference- but they apparently had no regular doubles left. The furnishings appear to be of a higher quality than a "normal" room.
Everything spotless, as usual.

Overall an unimpressive start, however everything else was fine.

The included breakfast is beyond criticism. We have only ever found bacon in one HIE.
We always try and get down early to avoid peak times. This HIE has a mix of business and leisure customers- incl several coach tours, but everything ran smoothly- clearly the staff take volumes in their stride.

The strong suit of this location is the ease in getting around the area by bus. you can buy a £3.50 daily pass from the driver and all of the buses stop literally outside.
The 22 is the most direct route to the city centre, takes about 15-20 mins.
Even going right across Edinburgh and out the other side ( to Rosslyn Chapel) took an hour with one change.
There is a useful free city map sheet available in reception.

The waterfront mall opposite, to which the Royal Yacht Britannia is moored, is handy, with several chain eating establishments, and anchored with a Debenhams store. there is a cinema although seems a waste of time when there are so many sights to see.

We did not eat in. Drinks prices from the bar at the higher end.

We intend to come back to Edinburgh again, so much to see and do, and we will stay here as first choice.

Room Tip: make sure you do not ask for an accessible room by mistake!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
GMexpressedinburgh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh - Leith Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear tripeagle,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and for providing us with comprehensive comments regarding every aspect of your stay.
I’m delighted that you found most aspects of your stay to be to your satisfaction, though I apologise for the slight blips during your check-in.
I’m glad that you enjoyed our location and were able to leave your car in our free car park whist you used public transport to explore the attractions of the local area.
I’m also glad that you found your room to be spotless and that you felt that our free Express Start hot buffet breakfast was beyond criticism.
I’m delighted that we will be your first choice when you next visit Edinburgh and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.