“Our first poor Lebanese EVER”
Review of Beirut

Beirut
Ranked #293 of 2,686 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$0 - US$19
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Southside & Holyrood
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We are here as a family today for a late lunch having passed up smaller kebab, cafe-type businesses. What a mistake, this was terrible in so many ways. Our server was friendly and helpful but that’s about it. Prawns from the deep freeze - mushy and smelling ‘fishy’ (sent back). Shawarma from cheap chicken cuts, tough /over cooked (half eaten). Falafel wraps that were under-seasoned, dry and tasteless (half eaten). Whilst this is an expensive restaurant we have eaten much better for far less. Never again, owners not welcoming and (other than our waitress) a don’t care attitude - smoking happily outside in the sunshine. Be warned. We paid 2/3rds of the bill which was generous at that. Rubbish.

1  Thank Will M

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

We ordered for home delivery so I cannot comment on the restaurant facilities but we happily over ordered so much that I feel well able to comment on the food.

Absolutely delicious - every bite. They have a twist on baba ghanoush that is tahini rich but full of roast aubergine goodness: so well balanced that we would have fought over it if we had not ordered two!

The breads were as light as can be and ideal for ripping, dipping and picking.

The schwarma were clearly freshly made from good quality meat, they were well seasoned and came with delicious sauces and veggies.

Next time we are in Edinburgh we will definitely visit the restaurant!

Reviewed 13 May 2018

Earlier for tea today I went to Beirut. Expecting nothing too big I entered the restaurant and was suprised by the very Lebanese atmosphere. Me and my family were welcomed by this guy outside and were led into the restaurant.
We got seated very quickly as the staff are very friendly.
The menu is MASSIVE. There are over 100 dishes that I underestimated how the food was going to taste because of the wide variety from seafood to chicken to lamb to Souffle Al Cioccolato (very inventive name don't know how they though of having French (Souffle) and Italian (Ciocollato) in the same dish's name)
The order arrived with speed that when we asked for the drinks, they came to us almost straight away. The main course was delivered with such speed that I had only just started eating my Hommus when my Charcoal-Grilled seabass came.
The meals come at an appropiate size with an appropiately designed and well-tasting outside.
The staff at Beirut are no exception to the great standards of the food and atmosphere. They treat every customer the same: with care.
When coming out I wondered one thing: Why hasn't this been noticed more? Around the corner is Mosque Kitchen and Mosque Kitchen Takeaway, and if you keep walking in a straight line then around the corner there will be a much better place.
In short, Beirut is the hidden gem of Edinburgh. It is obscure but is THE best restaurant in the whole of Britain, never mind Edinburgh or even Scotland!

Beirut deserves this five star TripAdvisor review. As long as they keep doing what they are doing, this will remain the best restaurant in Britain.

Reviewed 24 April 2018

We have eaten here many times and the food is great and we would normally have rated 4. Last night when we paid our bill we were given £10.00 too little in our change. When we pointed this out to our server she grabbed the tray with our change, stomped away and came back with the tray and said “here’s your tenner”. No apology was offered, she knew fine well she had deliberately short changed us.

1  Thank Gary M
Reviewed 17 April 2018 via mobile

We popped into the take away with a sleeping toddler in the pram and baby on our lap. The man who served us was really friendly, helpful.
We had chicken wraps , mine was chargrilled , zesty and fresh and my husband enjoyed his Shwarma wrap. The chips were pipping hot.
Delicious!