“Simply lovely”
Review of Prestonfield

Prestonfield
Ranked #4 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 20 June 2011

We stayed 1 night at Prestonfield House as a special treat for my wife. We were in room 16 which was located at the rear overlooking the golf course. Like everything in this hotel it was complete quality, the furnishings, the decor and the large comfortable bed. There is also a large flat screen TV. Until you actually stay it is difficult to fully appreciate the quality of each room,dining room and even the hallways. The staff are all excellent, extremely polite and helpful. We ate in Rhubard restaurant in the evening and the presentation, quality and attentiveness of the staff was 1st class. We were fortunate to be able to enjoy an after dinner drink on the balcony (it was still warmish!) and listen to thePeacocks in the grounds and take in music from a graduation celebration in the nearby function suite .

Breakfast was also very tasty indeed, good selection of cold meat starters etc and a lovely cooked Scottish breakfast whilst my wife thoroughly enjoyed her favourite Eggs Benedict.

We have previously stayed at the Witchery Suites on the Royal Mile, which are under the same ownership. We really enjoyed the Witchery but the sheer class of Prestonfield House gives it the edge, we would love to stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JoeandSandra
Write a ReviewReviews (1,182)

Reviewed 10 June 2011

Having previously stayed here I was delighted when my husband booked us a night for my 50th birthday. On arriving we were upgraded to a suite as it was my birthday and were treated liked valued special people. Our room was quite glorious with a seperate living room and two bathrooms. We ate in Rhubarb and I can honestly say that we had the best meal we have probably ever had. My husband and I travel a lot and have stayed and eaten in many 5* hotels but this had to be the best ever. The whole hotel is quite gorgeous, antiques everywhere and while not how I would have my house, when I go to stay somewhere I want it to feel luxurious and special and this really does. The staff are a credit to the hotel and I cannot praise them highly enough. Thank goodness a hotel understands how imprtant staff training is! We had stayed the previous week at the Turnberry hotel and were quite underwhelmed but Prestonfield is far superiour in all areas. Thank you so much for making my birthday so special - we will be back!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2011

I've recently returned from a wedding hosted at Prestonfield Hotel and stayed for 2 nights which was such a luxury. Looking at the website before arriving, the place looked very ornate, cluttered, old fashioned - not quite my style really. But as soon as I arrived, any concerns about the aesthetics were washed away by the history of the hotel, the amazing service and just how beautiful everything was.

I've stayed at alot of great hotels in my time, but the service here was second to none. But it is the hotel itself which is the star attraction, everything about it was special and high end. Our room (Room 4) was huge, with a large comfortable sleigh bed, great roll-top bath and overhead shower. I loved the small touches of a bottle of champagne every night on ice in the room, the daily paper hanging on the door and constant supplies of fruit and water.

I can't recommend this place enough. Loved it.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2011

the hotel was fantastic, the staff upon arrival and throughout wanted to know what they could do for you. On the first night we ate in Rhubarb, the meal was fantastic and again the service was faultless. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I would however point out the hotel isn't near the centre of Edinburgh, it's a 10 minute cab ride, other than that I would recommend the hotel, facilities, food and staff. There was a problematic dog in the room next door, 1 phone call to reception and it was sorted, no fuss or fanfare.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2011

We stay at Prestonfields when we need to be in the capital, as it is simply the most comfortable place to stay, and, very importantly, they also welcome dogs...we have 3 large dogs, which are welcomed as warmly as the humans! The suites are very comfortable, bedroom, sitting room and 2 bathrooms. Every room has it's own theme, so every stay can be like staying for the first time. The staff are marvellous. They are polite and extremely professional, and also friendly with a smile and a hello if you pass in the corridor. Rhubarb restaurant is famous in it's own right, but choose the restaurant or room service and you will find the food and service are equally excellent. A peaceful haven with large grounds, in the middle of the capital, simply excellent in every way.

Room Tip: All rooms are fabulous.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2011

Just excellent in every respect, service first class. Staff were marvellous, helped us with our bags, which meant a lot. Our very small and cosy suite was lively, quirky. Extremely dog-friendly.
We arrived with three largish dogs, two greyhounds plus lurcher, and the staff were wonderful, even ill-behaved lurcher who invaded the hotel was greeted with a smile.

Grounds are beautiful, spectacular to see highland cattle in the midst of Edinburgh. Fenced and so dog-safe, again perfect for taking dog out for a run.

Thank you Prestonfield or such a warm welcome. The top choice for the dog owner, and of course a must-try for all normal people too. Warmly recommended.

Room Tip: Bring your dog
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CecilWard
Reviewed 22 March 2011

Great hotel, sumptuous design and furnishings, and people that know how to look after their guests and make them feel very welcome.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple