“Romantic, sumptuous, impeccable service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Prestonfield

Prestonfield
Ranked #5 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
london
“Romantic, sumptuous, impeccable service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2011

My husband and I stayed here in the Winston Churchill suite on the night after our wedding night. The thinking was that if we were spending that much, we wanted to spend the afternoon and the evening at the hotel too! We were not disappointed. From the moment you sweep in down the drive you know this is a very special place. The grounds and house are stunning from the outside and there are 2 very sweet highland cows in the field. I checked in earlier than my husband who was still sorting out the post-wedding chaos, so that I could relax, have a bath etc before dinner. The staff couldn't have been more welcoming. The suite was utterly beautiful and full of character. It had every mod con but technology was tucked discreetly away behind the fantastic baroque furnishings. We had chosen one of the suites that was most sumptuously furnished but for those who like things a little more minimalist there are also other suites that are decorated differently. The suite had 2 bathrooms, both really luxurious. We had been given a chilled bottle of champagne and some chocolates, they were aware we were a honeymoon couple but I think the champagne is standard service in any case for the suites.

We had dinner at the Rhubarb restaurant and our waiter/sommelier was fantastically knowledgeable. We were overwhelmed by the enormous wine list but he steered us through it and recommended probably the best bottle of wine I've ever had at a price we could afford. We had the Chateaubriand for two which was utterly excellent. Afterwards we enjoyed a few drinks in each of the other rooms which are all uniquely and beautifully decorated with some very unusual antiques and period furnishings. (Check out the chairs made out of antlers in the whisky room...) The breakfast was also excellent the next day (full Scottish breakfast, plus any of the usual continental breakfast, cereals etc).

We found the staff incredibly pleasant and helpful throughout. Nothing is too much trouble, but the atmosphere is still very relaxed. You really do feel as though you are staying in a (very rich!) friend's country house. We cannot wait to go back and will definitely be booking back in for our first year's anniversary next year. It is pricy but is undoubtedly worth every penny.

Room Tip: For the full baroque style experience, check out the Winston Churchill suite
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

What a place to stay...the room we had was lovely and you couldn't fault the service we received on arrival. Nice staff, clean room, nice complimentaries.....then we decided to have dinner there. Nothing fancy as we had been out for lunch so we decided to settle in the yellow room and take something from the bar menu...I had a club sandwich and my husband took a burger...we waited nearly 40 minutes for those to arrive and then were left to our own devices. We sat for half an hour with empty plates in front of us, nobody came to see if we were ok, enjoyed our meal or wanted anything else, in the end I had to flag someone down to take the plates away and order a dessert (I had my heart set on a cranachan) this took a further 35 minutes to arrive so in the end we spend an hour and a half to eat a wee snack. Not impressed at all. I know the restaurant was busy but its no excuse for bad service and we were made to feel like second class citizens because we "only" had a bar meal (which can I just say is far from a cheap snack)
The food was faultless and very tasty.
This experience wouldn't stop me from going back but I will not eat there again I don't think.

1 Thank sassenach79
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

My search parameters were simple. “Elle Décor” and “Edinburgh Scotland” were all Google needed to guide me to the single best Hotel experience of my life. And I say that well aware of hyperbole and completely free of its frosting. I never once felt as though I was a guest at a hotel, but more a family friend visiting a posh estate in the country – complete with highland cows roaming nearby in a pasture and peacocks exploring freely about the grounds. The service was impeccable and noninvasive. One afternoon on his break, General Manager Alan McGuiggan took me on a taster’s menu of his favorite places in the city that he thought I might like after a brief, cheerful conversation. On another day, Jenny, the Front Desk Manager, arranged for an excellent tour guide on a moment’s notice when a day became free for a bit of custom-tailored look-see.

Both excursions were a delight.

Then there was the food. Prestonfield House is equipped with its own rhubarb gardens and make their own preserves, which I generously swirled into my morning porridge – every day. I still crave it. Sometimes as much as oxygen – fine, that was hyperbole, but I do crave it. The food at the main Prestonfield House restaurant RHUBARB is excellent (highly recommend the open face lasagne) and its well-appointed dining room, rich in detail and fabric, never grows tired, nor does its selection of eats.

Last but not least, the room. Never wanting for character and design, my room was immaculately decorated like the rest of the hotel and most importantly, the bed was very comfortable, once again providing not your run-of-the-mill travel experience.

I stayed for one week and if I had a complaint about the Prestonfield House Hotel, it’s that I’m not there right now.

Room Tip: CALL General Manager Alan McGuiggan and ask. He was phenomenally helpful.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank BryanFuller
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

Stayed for our first anniversary. Had an amazing time. Only gripe was the receptionist was slightly up her own backside. But over all really pleased. Rooms were fantastic and so was the service. Very expensive but worth it for a one night indulgent treat.

• Stayed July 2011
U.K.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

We stayed in July for one night. Decided to stay here because it represented good value and secure parking for the car. The rooms were absolutely stunning if not overly spacious. We didnt have dinner in the restaurant but it gave the impression that the food would be very good. If breakfast was anything to go by, then dinner would have been excellent. Staff were very good. If we came back to Edinburgh i'd definately look here again.

Fort William, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

We chose Prestonfield House due to its proximity to the Scottish Parliament and its easy onsite parking. We did not realise that we were also choosing a magnificent country house hotel set in its own gardens with strutting peacocks yet only minutes from the centre of Edinburgh with all of its numerous attractions. A simple request led to us being upgraded to a beautiful spacious suite with two bathrooms!! The service provided by the friendly and efficient staff can only be described as excellent from the moment we arrived at the sweeping entrance to our departure the next morning. We ate dinner in the Rhubarb restaurant and our meal was simply outstanding. Luxury oozes from every corner of this wonderful hotel. Praise does not easily come from our lips especially when staying in a city centre hotel ................. but this is the exception. Indulge yourself in country house living and only minutes away enjoy the delights of our beautiful capital city. We are seasoned international travellers who have spent 20+years at the sharp end of the tourism industry in Scotland.

Room Tip: Dogs are accepted in the hotel but usually guests with dogs are accommodated on the ground floor
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Stewartmac
uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2011

We loved our stay at the Prestonfied for our 20th wedding anniversary We also ate at Rhubarb and really enjoyed the experience Our suite (Winston Churchill) was lovely and the food in the restaurant superb.We found all the staff very friendly and nothing was to much trouble we especially liked Emma as she was very efficient and professional
many thanks for making our stay so memorable Mr and Mrs W date of stay 6 7 July 11