“Peaceful Retreat”

Ranked #4 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Columbia, Missouri
“Peaceful Retreat”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

After walking around the streets of Edinburgh literally all day-this is a Haven! What an exceptional treat - wake-up to a magnificent breakfast with a renovated Stable in the background and gorgeous peacocks strutting trough the manicured gardens. The suites are actually quite large for European standards, especially being in a Late 1600's Scottish Manor; decorated like an elegant bawdy boudoir; 4 poster bed and red velvet; indeed, surprising- tastefully done. If you are looking for a respite from a hectic day-or a romantic hideaway this is THE answer! Simply a magnificent boutique - Best choice in town. Beats the Balmoral hands down!

Room Tip: We stayed in a room facing towards the golf grounds in the rear of the house addition.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pmshaw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2013

A beautiful location - you feel away from the whirl of Edinburgh in a green oasis but actually you are a 10 minute and £10 taxi drive away from the heart of the city. Beautiful grounds - wedding parties seem to love it. Interior is completely over the top - quite wonderful and quirky - but a few signs of aging and hoping they maintain things/ replace times that are looking well used. LOTS of staff - helpful - if you ask question and they don't know they find out and come back to you - just very welcoming and it seems genuine. Breakfast excellent. Good storage in bedrooms and room size is generous. A few niggles that could easily be rectified - few hangers for 2 people. Bathroom design poor. Very deep roll top bath - you have to step over the deep sides to use bath or over shower - not easy and no hand rail. Where are the Scottish made toiletries - instead something truly disgusting from San Francisco - the body lotion I removed as it reeked of medicinal herbs - overpowering for either gender and more to the point not promoting local products. Went down for a drink before ordering dinner and this threw staff into confusion - the idea of a pre dinner drink and ordering meal whilst doing so just isn't something they seemed geared to offer or cope with well. We had to chase drinks and gulp down as they wanted us at our table - didn't bother night 2. Evening meal first night at 8.30pm - butter a solid hard lump and Table D'hôte mixed quality - desserts poor. Next night ate early and different all round and good value at £33 for 3 courses on Table D'hôte. But all that said would without doubt highly recommend the hotel and the experience you have - you feel special and very relaxed but with every opportunity to take advantage of all the bustle Edinburgh has to offer especially during the Festival/ Fringe.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I had a surprise 1 night stay here. The staff were just amazing and boys did look good in their kilts! I could not fault the staff or the service. Our room was decorated to perfection. It wasn't over the top with too many old bits and pieces and wasn't skimpy on it either. The bed was very comfortable with the red velvet blanket over the top. The bathroom good but could have done with a rain shower head or something more interesting than the usual hotel shower heads.
The breakfast was wonderful with duck egg Benedict and a very lovely fruit smoothie drink. The pastries on offer were all made on site and just lovely.
The ground were great to wonder round. They even have a mini golf field and crochet field free for the guest to use. It was lovely weather so we spent a morning just playing crochet with the peacocks looking on. The golf field looked good but I don't play golf.
If you can't afford to stay go for the afternoon tea. The range of teas were extensive and the cakes were all cooked on sight. You can have food anywhere in the grounds. We decided to have afternoon tea on the balcony over looking the drive way but you could have it with the peacocks in the gardens or one of the many rooms ready and waiting for people to sit in.
The only bad thing was the turn down service we requested while we were at dinner. I guess we did ask for it after the maid staff had most likely gone home for the night but still. The person didn't turn off the TV or re make the bed. they just replaced the soaps and things in the bathroom and straightened the towels. If that was the worst thing then they did wonderfully in my books!!!!
Would happily stay here again (when the budget allows)

Room Tip: Every room is decorated differently and being an old manor house each is a slightly different size s...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

This is a luxurious hotel with loads of grandeur and pomp. We were there for a wedding and the food was fantastic especially when it is basically catering for over 100 guests, the beef was tender and succulent. Staff was attentive and very helpful. Simply put the wedding reception was done perfectly.

The reason why I give this place 3 stars is that we waited quite a bit to get checked in as there was only one guy who was allowed to do that? Being part of the wedding party I didn't quite mind as there was a reception to go to.

Now what really bothered me was we had to pay £50 over £295 per night for extra for 2 extra beds to be set up in our room. Don't mind paying for that don't get me wrong as its an expensive hotel and it is expected. What really got me was that my daughter got on the extra bed as it WOBBLED and she was too scared to go back on so it was left to me to go on it. It was unbelievable wobbly and lumpy and when I lifted the mattress, there were MISSING wooden slats all over. Had I realised this hours ago I'd ask for another bed but after getting in at 11pm after the reception with tired girls I could not be bothered.

It was the poorest night sleep I had in any hotel and probably one that I paid money for!

P/s good job I did not let my husband go on the extra bed as he stayed out later at the reception as I got him to have a go on it and the wooden slats went thru the sockets (it wasn't broken) but I then spent the next 10 mins putting all together again!!!! And it got folded in with him on it!!!!!

To be honest if do away with the pomp and Liberace deco and have beds of premier inn quality!!

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Beano2812
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We used The Garden Room last year for my husbands 50th birthday lunch and due to the service and venue it was a no brainier as to where we booked our wedding venue for March this year. We were looked after start to finish by Gavin Hughes & his team and everything ran like clockwork. Again, food, service, organisation, crowd control! and rooms were without fault or stress. Alex was on hand all day to ensure all went to plan and Dosy was most patient and pleasant when everybody had had a few too many drams into the evening! We married in the Garden Room with the peacocks joining in for the odd squawk! The Humanist celebrant recommended by Prestonfield, Brian Hawkins was just superb as was the Celtic harpist Aisling Vorster. We had a drinks reception upstairs in the Tapestry Room and the balcony which was beautiful as the weather was kind and then took over half of Rhubarb for our party of 47, which was just the perfect size. If you have the chance to stay we have stayed in a number of rooms including the suites - they are all very special. Sorry Prestonfield for the delay in writing this review and thank you again.

Room Tip: All are fantastic but for a real treat book a suite!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Myself and my partner booked the dinner, bed and breakfast deal for one night. We were kindly upgraded to one of the suites. The rooms are beautiful throughout the hotel and the finishing touches really add to the experience. This is not your average 5*. Staff are attentive without being intrusive, they are knowledgable, good humoured and down to earth. Dinner was delicious and the wine excellent. Cocktails too!! I just wish I had room for the full breakfast. Prestonfield Is definitely the nicest hotel I've stayed in and I couldn't recommend it more. We will be back...

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My boyfriend organised dinner, bed and breakfast for my 21st birthday. I have been for afternoon tea a few times which is always a great afternoon but have dinner stayed overnight.

It was a brilliant experience from start to finish. Our room was excellent, we had room 6 on the ground floor which was lovely with nice views of the golf course and highland cattle. The service was excellent, we had our own private room for dinner and our waiter was fantastic. The food was very nice, our desserts where amazing!

We will be back and I would recommend for special occasions or just a nice meal out in the Rhubarb restaurant. Overall, excellent experience.

Room Tip: If you can, book the owners suite it looked amazing.