“Even Better second time round!!!”
Review of Prestonfield

Prestonfield
Ranked #4 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 8 December 2013

This is my second visit to Prestonfield and I didn't think it could ever get any better but it did. We were due to arrive early Thursday morning but unfortunately due to terrible weather conditions in the north our plane abandoned landing at Edinburgh to took us all the way back to London. After a 12 hour wait in Heathrow we finally made it back to Scotland. We arrived at the hotel at 1am and were met by Liam who checked us in took our bags to our room and then stoked the fire in one of the beautiful lounges and poured us a well needed drink.
Prestonfield at Christmas is truly beautiful with Christmas trees in every room and log fires burning. The staff are second to none and if you want or need anything they will go out of their way to make sure you get it. I feel utterly relaxed and extremely spoilt. I want to say a huge thank you to Liam, you really did go above and beyond to make sure we had the best stay in the hotel and Edinburgh itself, Recommending things to do, helping us choose wines and whiskies. He also has a great sense of humour and made us feel right at home. Thanks to Liam we managed to get a table at Rhubarb after being disappointed that we missed our reservation on Thursday. It was fantastic and I would recommend eating here even if you are not staying here. We also ate at the Witchery and I have to say we much preferred Rhubarb. So if you are lucky enough to stay here enjoy and go knowing that you will be made to feel very very welcome.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,195)

Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

Had one night at Prestonfield this month. It was utterly impressive, room was gorgeous, the room we sat in having a cocktail at night was lovely, in front of a wood burning fire. I really can't fault the hotel. Will definitely be staying again in future, quite possibly one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I've stayed in Edinburgh many times and my first visit to Prestonfield will not be my last. The place is certainly pleasing on the eye but my strongest memory will be the personal service. Now, you can see this is achieved with the aid of earpieces for the staff but it works wonderfully. We had a four month old baby with us and they were very considerate of us in every respect.

So, what of the hotel? It's plush....in an over-the-top way but the dark colours, gentle lighting and soft fabrics all create a relaxing ambiance. I don't think it would work as well in England, but the ostentatious backdrop with down to earth staff does work here. Public rooms are more of the same, yet vary enough to have something for most tastes and allow you the opportunity to choose whether you want to sit in a buzzing room full of people or a quiet room on your own. It's also unbelievably close to the city centre, given the size of the place.

Food? Well, breakfast was certainly to my taste. Freshly squeezed juices come as standard (as they should - but it never ceases to amaze me the number of supposed decent places that still expect you to drink overly acidic concentrate first thing in the morning!) as do fresh berries and toasted mixed nuts. Yum! There's a nice selection of pastries and some nice touches in the cooked selection. It's worth the money, even if you're not staying at the hotel.

Afternoon tea was nice...with the best scones I've had (personal taste, perhaps, but they were much nicer than those served in Claridges, The Ritz, etc...just don't expect the continuous flow of top ups you get in London, that really aren't necessary and you pay through the nose for). Tea selection is a bit limited but again, there's something for most people. Only problem is that the 'tables' in the tapestry room are very pretty but less practical, as they are sloping leather efforts that you'll lose your knife from if you're not careful. I expect you could happily simply take tea in one of the other rooms if this became a problem.

Dinner in the main restaurant was good. I know they get mixed reviews for this but we found it pleasant. Single dishes are pricey but the table d'hote menu was good value. If you want to stuff your face, this isn't the place for you, but that shouldn't be unexpected. We did not go hungry! The wine list is good too and there's something for all budgets.

The bedroom was lovely...and large. As well as the bed, we had a sofa, two armchairs and a table with two dining chairs. Many places would try calling this a suite. There was a curtain separating the room from the bathroom and wardrobe areas, which, as these were more functional than fluffy, helped with the bedroom ambiance and reminded me of a cruise we went on for our first anniversary. The kettle is just big enough for two cups of tea, which is good as it stops you from wasting energy boiling more than you need but I didn't ask how to work the pod-taking coffee machine so had to poke about a bit to figure it out...my own fault but instructions would be a good addition (unless I juts missed them, which is entirely possible!). Similarly, I didn't find a price list for the well-stocked minibar, though there may well've been one. What I did really appreciate was the decent hairdryer rather one of those silly things attached to the wall that some places seem insistent on. Oh, and watch out for the 'ornaments' in the rooms. We had three old birdcages in ours. Some people may like them, some may hate them. Personally, I'm not fussed in either direction but I can't help but feel sorry for the cleaners...who, incidentally, were just as pleasant as the rest of the hotel staff.

In summary, a lovely stay at a lovely place with well trained staff who appear to take pride in what they do and lovely food. I will return!

Room Tip: Only stayed in the one room, but if they are all like this one, you won't go wrong.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Tanya S S
Reviewed 3 December 2013

This hotel is simply fabulous! From the moment we arrived and the kilt clad footman took our bag we felt spoilt in the best possible way. The staff couldn't have been more welcoming and the room managed to be both decadent and warm.
I live in Edinburgh and wanted to treat someone special; this was the prefect mini get away! Despite being 10 minutes driver from new town Prestonfield feels like the middle of the countryside.
Great hotel, excellent value and a the antler based furniture is a must see!

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stayed here on the last night of our honeymoon having previously stayed at the Witchery by the Castle. The staff gave us a fantastic welcome and having learned we were on our honeymoon upgraded us the the owners suite! Words wouldn't do this room justice, separate living and bed rooms, a HUGE bath with room for 2 and champagne upon arrival. The decor is amazing with photographs and ornaments throughout.

The lounge areas on the 2nd floor of the building are equally amazing with original decor and lavish furnishing. After several cocktails we went downstairs to a very full restaurant. This is where the experience took a sour turn as the next 2 hours were extremely disappointing. It appeared that there were only 2 waiters to service a restaurant that must have had a least 40/50 diners. We had to wait 10 minutes to make a drinks order which turned up as the wrong wine, 15 more minutes to order food, then a further round of wrong drinks turned up. First course was 'OK' but not mind blowing. we then sat with dirty plates for a further 15 minutes. This level of service continued with the only people regularly moving through the restaurant was the servers who couldn't answer any order related questions. In fairness to the waiter when we did finally pin him down he gave us several rounds of free drinks but at that point the experience had been ruined.
The staff took our complaints seriously and were very apologetic the next day. It was a real shame as the room upgrade a real treat and a surprise but the overall experience left us very disappointed.
If we were to stay in Edinburgh again I would choose the Witchery over Prestonfield house (obviously the same group but the better of the 2 in our experience)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed this weekend and had a great time. The surroundings, atmosphere, service and food are all exceptional and I can't recommend this hotel highly enough - very romantic and ideal for an anniversary or honeymoon. I was very impressed by the way the staff were able to accommodate late changes to our dinner booking although the restaurant was full (last minute tickets to the rugby at Murrayfield) The only thing is that the place is so good it seems a shame to leave it to go into Edinburgh!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2013

This was my first stay at Preston field although have attended many events. The room was stunning, quaint but functional and very luxurious. The service from every member if staff was personal and they made you feel as if you were the only guest there can't wait to go back

• Stayed: November 2013