“Christmas personified” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
London, United Kingdom
“Christmas personified”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

Wow, what a place. Only came for dinner with colleagues, will be returning with my wife to stay. Utter class, amazing rooms, amazing food and brilliant service. I can't wait to go back, it was like being in a movie set. Log fires, beautiful Christmas trees, champagne flowing, well done Prestonfield you made my Christmas

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank RichWandsworth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

The Famous Scottish Show - our evening was faultless from the moment we arrived till the very end. We got the tickets for "dinner, show & wine", was very well worth it!
The staff were all so friendly and helpful, delicious food and the show exceeded all expectation.
Lovely location and setting and a quality evening!
Will definitely be back next year!
1st Class!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

We have just experienced anther fabulous stay at Prestonfield. The House is looking just lovely with lots of twinkling lights it really looks stunning. The Owners Suite was delightful. Very atmospheric and theatrical with a beautiful Christmas tree. We really couldn't have stayed anywhere more romantic.
We ate in Rhubarb which was very busy but the staff remained attentive throughout. The food was delicious beautifully presented and our beef was melt in the mouth tender. We had breakfast in our room which was such a treat served at the window table in our drawing room was just gorgeous. The attention to detail was spot on. The food hot and tasty. Sad to leave but we will be back.

Room Tip: All the rooms are different but all are lovely. A suite offers more space. The owners suite is somet...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed at Prestonfield house on the 7th of December as a couple. Some of the plus points:

- Amazing mansion house hotel, set in its own grounds in the outskirts of Edinburgh
- Good service from the hotel staff
- Opulent is the only word for the bedrooms
- Large bathrooms with deepfill bath
- Original interior - never stayed anywhere quite like it
- Good breakfast

Negative

- The service in the Rhubarb restaurant is terrible and would recommend eating at one of Edinburgh's many other excellent restaurants instead

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lolaferrola74
Bucks
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

This is my second visit to Prestonfield and I didn't think it could ever get any better but it did. We were due to arrive early Thursday morning but unfortunately due to terrible weather conditions in the north our plane abandoned landing at Edinburgh to took us all the way back to London. After a 12 hour wait in Heathrow we finally made it back to Scotland. We arrived at the hotel at 1am and were met by Liam who checked us in took our bags to our room and then stoked the fire in one of the beautiful lounges and poured us a well needed drink.
Prestonfield at Christmas is truly beautiful with Christmas trees in every room and log fires burning. The staff are second to none and if you want or need anything they will go out of their way to make sure you get it. I feel utterly relaxed and extremely spoilt. I want to say a huge thank you to Liam, you really did go above and beyond to make sure we had the best stay in the hotel and Edinburgh itself, Recommending things to do, helping us choose wines and whiskies. He also has a great sense of humour and made us feel right at home. Thanks to Liam we managed to get a table at Rhubarb after being disappointed that we missed our reservation on Thursday. It was fantastic and I would recommend eating here even if you are not staying here. We also ate at the Witchery and I have to say we much preferred Rhubarb. So if you are lucky enough to stay here enjoy and go knowing that you will be made to feel very very welcome.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

Had one night at Prestonfield this month. It was utterly impressive, room was gorgeous, the room we sat in having a cocktail at night was lovely, in front of a wood burning fire. I really can't fault the hotel. Will definitely be staying again in future, quite possibly one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

I've stayed in Edinburgh many times and my first visit to Prestonfield will not be my last. The place is certainly pleasing on the eye but my strongest memory will be the personal service. Now, you can see this is achieved with the aid of earpieces for the staff but it works wonderfully. We had a four month old baby with us and they were very considerate of us in every respect.

So, what of the hotel? It's plush....in an over-the-top way but the dark colours, gentle lighting and soft fabrics all create a relaxing ambiance. I don't think it would work as well in England, but the ostentatious backdrop with down to earth staff does work here. Public rooms are more of the same, yet vary enough to have something for most tastes and allow you the opportunity to choose whether you want to sit in a buzzing room full of people or a quiet room on your own. It's also unbelievably close to the city centre, given the size of the place.

Food? Well, breakfast was certainly to my taste. Freshly squeezed juices come as standard (as they should - but it never ceases to amaze me the number of supposed decent places that still expect you to drink overly acidic concentrate first thing in the morning!) as do fresh berries and toasted mixed nuts. Yum! There's a nice selection of pastries and some nice touches in the cooked selection. It's worth the money, even if you're not staying at the hotel.

Afternoon tea was nice...with the best scones I've had (personal taste, perhaps, but they were much nicer than those served in Claridges, The Ritz, etc...just don't expect the continuous flow of top ups you get in London, that really aren't necessary and you pay through the nose for). Tea selection is a bit limited but again, there's something for most people. Only problem is that the 'tables' in the tapestry room are very pretty but less practical, as they are sloping leather efforts that you'll lose your knife from if you're not careful. I expect you could happily simply take tea in one of the other rooms if this became a problem.

Dinner in the main restaurant was good. I know they get mixed reviews for this but we found it pleasant. Single dishes are pricey but the table d'hote menu was good value. If you want to stuff your face, this isn't the place for you, but that shouldn't be unexpected. We did not go hungry! The wine list is good too and there's something for all budgets.

The bedroom was lovely...and large. As well as the bed, we had a sofa, two armchairs and a table with two dining chairs. Many places would try calling this a suite. There was a curtain separating the room from the bathroom and wardrobe areas, which, as these were more functional than fluffy, helped with the bedroom ambiance and reminded me of a cruise we went on for our first anniversary. The kettle is just big enough for two cups of tea, which is good as it stops you from wasting energy boiling more than you need but I didn't ask how to work the pod-taking coffee machine so had to poke about a bit to figure it out...my own fault but instructions would be a good addition (unless I juts missed them, which is entirely possible!). Similarly, I didn't find a price list for the well-stocked minibar, though there may well've been one. What I did really appreciate was the decent hairdryer rather one of those silly things attached to the wall that some places seem insistent on. Oh, and watch out for the 'ornaments' in the rooms. We had three old birdcages in ours. Some people may like them, some may hate them. Personally, I'm not fussed in either direction but I can't help but feel sorry for the cleaners...who, incidentally, were just as pleasant as the rest of the hotel staff.

In summary, a lovely stay at a lovely place with well trained staff who appear to take pride in what they do and lovely food. I will return!

Room Tip: Only stayed in the one room, but if they are all like this one, you won't go wrong.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family