This is a special hotel with much character and charm, set in a wonderful park. The rooms are beautiful and the staff charming and helpful. The welcome and farewell were ones of the warmest and most memorable.
The food at dinner and breakfast was excellent too. However, the service in the restaurant Rhubarb was hit and miss due to a lack of co-ordination. On all our three dinners there, the wine was served about 10 minutes after our starters. By the time it arrived, our starters were getting cold.
While were were impressed with the restaurant on the 1st evening, we were disappointed on the 2nd evening as we had to virtually remind the staff for everything: from the menu to the dessert. The people at the two tables next to ours came in about 15 minutes after us, and finished their meals 20 minutes ahead of us. The manager and staff were very apologetic for the chaotic service and, as compensation, took the wine and dessert off our bill.
These, however, were added onto our final invoice upon check-out. As it is always good practice to do so, we checked our invoice and pointed out this error to the front desk staff, who were very apologetic and amended our invoice. When we glanced at it again, and after checking our own paperwork, we realised another mistake: we were charged for our room twice. For some reason, we were charged again for our room, which we had booked and paid for through Lastmiute.com. Again, apologies were made and our final was amended for the 2nd time.
In conclusion, this is a nice place to which we would like to come back, but the co-ordination of the services needs improvement.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Prestonfield is Edinburgh's most indulgent retreat and Scotland's latest 5-star hotel. Rated one of the "Best 101 Hotels in the World" by Tatler/Abercrombie & Kent and AA Hotel of the Year 2005, this exceptional hotel is near Edinburgh's Royal Mile. Prestonfield has been lavishly restored by new owner James Thomson of Edinburgh's famous Witchery by the Castle. Now guests find every modern convenience hidden behind the velvet-upholstered walls of Edinburgh's most talked-about bedrooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Priceline, Expedia, Agoda, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Prestonfield reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Prestonfield Hotel Edinburgh
- Prestonfield Edinburgh, Scotland