I've been looking forward to going to the Prestonfield for quite a while now and after finally making it there yesterday, it didn't disappoint! I went with a friend for afternoon tea which was served in the beautiful little yellow room at the front of the old part of the house. We took a break half-way through to walk around the grounds before it got too dark, and they were absolutely lovely. With Arthur's Seat in the background, the parkland with heilan coos, the peacocks, the summer house, the elegant baronial architecture and a choice of putting or croquet on the lawn, this really is a magical place!
The staff at Prestonfield were friendly and attentive. After we had finished our tea, we were given a tour of the house by an affable and enthusiastic kilt-clad young member of staff who gave us detailed information about the history of the house and its belongings - wonderful! Another member of staff was kind enough to take the time to talk to us later and gave us some more (spooky) tales of the house and its legends - the staff were just a pleasure to talk to altogether.
I am already planning my next trip back although I think I'll opt for a lunch at Rhubarb next time, followed by some wine/bubbles on the lawn when the weather gets better. I enjoyed the experience of the house itself more than the afternoon tea to be honest - I would have liked more sandwiches and savouries and maybe a choice for the cakes perhaps. However, it was worth every penny just to experience the old world wonder and elegance that is the Prestonfield. A new firm favourite without a doubt!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Prestonfield is Edinburgh's most indulgent retreat and Scotland's latest 5-star hotel. Rated one of the "Best 101 Hotels in the World" by Tatler/Abercrombie & Kent and AA Hotel of the Year 2005, this exceptional hotel is near Edinburgh's Royal Mile. Prestonfield has been lavishly restored by new owner James Thomson of Edinburgh's famous Witchery by the Castle. Now guests find every modern convenience hidden behind the velvet-upholstered walls of Edinburgh's most talked-about bedrooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, LateRooms, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Prestonfield reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Prestonfield Hotel Edinburgh
- Prestonfield Edinburgh, Scotland