“A warm welcome for visiting Swedes”
Review of Prestonfield

Prestonfield
Ranked #5 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 16 May 2014

In surroundings that brings you in to honey moon mood we had a fabulous stay at Prestonfield House. Staff were keen to make us feel welcome. All requests were met and service minded Liam keen to tell us where to golf and explore Edinburgh, and the story behind the peacocks living in the garden of Prestonfield.
The Rhubarb restaurant has fantastic interior, a very pleasant sound level for dining, and food to satisfy most cravings. The staff is from a variety of countries and seem to speak many languages.
On my return home I have recommended this jem to many friends and colleagues. Edinburgh as a city is a must.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,207)

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Having used the Prestonfield House a few years ago both for private and business use I thought I would let you our thoughts on our recent experience during our overnight stay on the 10/11 May 2014 which included diner in the Rhubarb Restaurant.

Accommodation - It was clean and well presented, early in the evening the 'turn down’ service arrived during the time we were dressing for diner between 18:30 and 19:00 hours, I answered the door and asked her to return and also remove the room service tray when she was turning down the bed clothes. That actually never happened as we returned to the room after diner with the bed clothes intact and the room service tray not removed. Also a small point, the shower in room No. 22 is very sporadic in its operation i.e full pressure, then none at all, then full pressure again. I guess the pump supplying the shower, if there is one, needs attention as you get scalded.
Diner - We had pre-diner drinks in the Yellow Room and then sat down for diner around 19:30. We ordered soup & scallops and the chateaubriand (cooked to medium) for the main followed by panna cotta and cheese. Nothing that arrived was anything more than slightly warm by way of its temperature, the scallops were only slightly warm and the chicken wings were cool. The main course vegetables were actually cold and the chateaubriand was verging on the cold side also, the meat itself was flavourless. My wife asked for her portion of the main to slightly more well done, which the waiter kindly accommodated, but that arrived back cold as well. The only item during the entire evenings dining that arrived with any temperature was the dauphinoise potatoes as I assume they arrived in the small dish they were baked in, after diner this also included a double espresso which arrived in a cold cup about ten minutes after ordering, so this was also cold. I asked if there was Hinde Armagnac, to be told yes we have 1986 & 1960 available, so I ordered a large 1960 at the same time as the espresso only to be told 10 minutes later when asking where it was, "we don’t have any", after which we gave up and retired to bed to find the room as stated previuosly. The chateaubriand itself, which is a £70 menu item, was served like no other I have experienced before. It arrived pre-carved/sliced on a cool plate and looked more like a Sunday roast portion of beef you would find in some £5.99 carvery somewhere i.e. very thinly sliced with no obvious tail piece between either portion which is characteristic of a chateaubriand, and as said before very cool in temperature and completely flavourless, the madeira sauce was also cold. I was actually drawn to question if it was actually a chateaubriand at all and indeed still do. The main course plates were returned largely untouched, but that was not questioned by the waiting staff.
Dining Seating, given that the web site states to offer an ‘inspiring dining experience’ I really must question this as added to the very poor food offered we were seated next to one table that included 2 very young children approx: 2 & 4 years of age armed with an iPad and a small games unit and another table to our right with a 4 or 5 year old with a bag full of caroms and lego, very obviously they got very bored very quickly. This is hardly what you would expect to find in a fine dining restaurant of the claimed standards and quality on the web site.

Breakfast, this was entirely fine and served hot and was most enjoyable.

We are very experienced with fine dining restaurants and I did wonder if the food temperature was a very specific thing they were trying to achieve, as in the Roux Brothers restaurant for example were they very clearly state on the menu that they feel the food benefits from being served at cooler temperatures as they feel it enhances the flavours on the palate, but on studying the web site and menu’s again, it is not the case and its simply down to poor service.

When checking out in the morning, and only after paying the £500+ bill in full did the receptionist ask if we had enjoyed our stay………..to which I replied that that was the very first time from checking in to checking out that we had actually been asked that question. I did then brief her on the above to which she offered to get a manager, but I declined and she then asked me to put my comments on email, to which I did to receive a polite and quick response from the Manager to thank us for bringing matters to his attention and he would get back to us shortly, that was 3 days ago and counting, so as with the food, I guess the trail has gone cold.

If at any point during our stay prior to checking out had we been asked we would have gladly made our feelings known, but I can only assume it’s policy not to question guests on their experiences until check out time.

I hope you find the comments useful and future guests can learn from our experience and give it a miss as it's very much trading on past glories, which I have also experienced some years ago.

Lastly, whilst the Peacocks are very pretty to look at during the daylight hours, their infernal high pitched squawking at 04:00 in the morning, which I had forgotten about, drives you mad.......take a shot gun if you still feel like giving it a go.

Kevin Bannister

Room Tip: Avoid room 22
9  Thank Kevin B
Reviewed 10 May 2014

My partner took me for dinner bed & breakfast as a birthday treat . On arrival we were greeted at usual , ie the financial normalities sorted first ! We were then shown to our room which we found ambient but rather dark with only one small window . We were advised on the room facilities as we would expect and all was fine . We then left the room and headed for the small terraced area above the entrance for a glass or two of wine . As we are both smokers this was the most obvious place to be . The waiter brought our drinks and said he would return with some cushions which never happened , in fact we never seen him again ! There were four people who had just had afternoon tea and I counted at least an hour before the table along with the dirty plates got lifted . In this time there had been a gathering of seagulls and crows . I went to try and order more wine and as my back was turned , a gull was at the peanuts on my table !!!! After this horror we decided to change for dinner . The dinner service was at best ok and the meal was good , apart from the fact that my partner asked for her £30.50 steak cooked in a michellin star Resturant medium well . Great then when the blood was pouring from it !!!!!! The waiter offered to take it back and cook it more , however she was too horrified and it made her feel sick . We retired to a small room for cheese and the open fire that three times we had to ask to be lit . Eventually bed time came . On entering our room I noticed a letter on the foot of our bed accusing us of smoking in the room and advising of a £100 deep cleaning bill . I had deposited an empty cigarette packed in a room bin right enough but at no time did we smoke in the room !!! At this point I decided enough was enough . Sick of constant pathetic service I summoned the duty manager , who advised me the letter was routine and ripped it up in front of me and put that in the bin and said ( that's how we'll deal with that sir ) still unhappy we decided to leave and called a taxi home . Next day we returned as my partner had left an item of clothing in the room and I had to pick up my vehicle . We were given a further bill for wine that hadnt been payed for the evening before . when i asked about the problematic steak i was told that we were offered a replacement steak and refused it so there was nothing they could do ! . This has deffinately been the worst experience of our lives in any hotel we've been in anywhere world wide let alone a 5 star rated Scottish hotel . BE WARNED !!!!

• Stayed: May 2014
20  Thank henderson182
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We have just had our very small and intimate wedding at Prestonfield. It was absolutely wonderful, from the setting/decor, to the staff, organisation and level of service. We could not fault anything, it was just amazing. The staff were so accommodating, and made sure every detail was perfect - everything was thought of. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. A special thank you to James, our Master of Ceremony on the day (the Duty Manager), and Laura who looked after us and our guests brilliantly, and always with a smile. The food was delicious, and very well presented. Paul, the Events Manager, was amazing in helping us arrange our day. Nothing seemed to be too much.
We will always remember our beautiful day at Prestonfield - it was simply perfect, and we could not have hoped for a better day or a nicer venue,

1  Thank Mary L
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Attended a wedding at Prestonfield. It's a great venue for weddings but also for dinner or romantic short breaks. The house itself has a long history and lots of character. We had our meal in the Italian Room and drinks in the Whisky Room. The food is delicious and the staff are very attentive. It's set in great grounds with highland cattle in an adjacent field and peacocks strolling by. If you are going to Edinburgh and want a quality venue that gives you a high end Scottish hospitality experience then you can do no better, in my view, than Prestonfield.

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Just 15mins outside Edinburgh but feels like the middle of the countryside, with peacocks and Highland cowes. Feels like stepping into a Scottish castle, the suites and decor creates a fairtail experience. Needs a spa but otherwise great.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Gorgeous and lavish entrance to the hotel with lots of vintage furniture and fittings. Staff (and there appeared to be millions of them) were quick to welcome us and make sure we were being looked after. We were shown into one of the rooms off the main hallway and it really was a wow moment and I don't have too many of them these days. The room had a very dramatic, gothic feel to it with black candles and heavy drapes with matching upholstery. Service from Ingrid was great: she was funny, attentive, intelligent and utterly charming. There was a tiny hiccup by one of her colleagues but she quickly remedied it. The actual afternoon tea was terrific with all home-made scones, jam and pastries. With a glass of champagne the bill was £50 for two and it felt like good value. We enjoyed the whole experience so much we booked for Sunday lunch next week.