So we moved to here after a disasterous stay at the Glasshouse. We read reviews on here and decided to go and check it out before committing to stay here. We immediately feel in love with Prestonfield as soon as we arrived. I guess the best way to describe it is think National Trust stately home but you can touch everything and sit on the chairs and bed! I guess it is a little dark but it added to the gothic charm for us. We were given room 11, which is shown on their website. It has dark red velcet walls with Fleur de Lises on the material wallpaper. It really does feel like the most decadent place you will ever stay.
You we too early to check in but this wasnt a problem, we left our key with reception and they offered to call a taxi to the city and they would move out luggage into the room ready for when we returned. We decided to walk, you will need sensible shoes to do this. Its about 15 minutes to the outskirts of the city and 1/2hr to the castle walking at a normal pace.
We did decide to get a taxi back, it was metered and cost less than 7 pounds.
As we were celebrating we had the champagne afternoon tea, what a delight. The champagne was sweet and delicious and all the sandiwiches and cakes were delightful and just the right portion. I should say we hadnt had any lunch, had we of done it might have beaten us!
We went for the dinner bed and breakfast option, you get 3 choices for each course, or can have the monetary value off anything you choose from the main menu. The food is amazing, my husband chose from the reduced menu and I from the a la carte menu. There was no difference in the quality of the food it was all a taste sensation. If they have them on the menu the langostines are the most amazing thing I have ever eaten!
There are so many positive things to say about this hotel, they really try and make your stay special and memorable and they certainly achieved that. If you are planning a romantic break to Edinburgh, this should be your first choice if hotel, the peacocks will serenade you and you will fall in love with this perfect hideaway.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Prestonfield is Edinburgh's most indulgent retreat and Scotland's latest 5-star hotel. Rated one of the "Best 101 Hotels in the World" by Tatler/Abercrombie & Kent and AA Hotel of the Year 2005, this exceptional hotel is near Edinburgh's Royal Mile. Prestonfield has been lavishly restored by new owner James Thomson of Edinburgh's famous Witchery by the Castle. Now guests find every modern convenience hidden behind the velvet-upholstered walls of Edinburgh's most talked-about bedrooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ctrip TA, LateRooms, Ebookers, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Prestonfield reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Prestonfield Hotel Edinburgh
- Prestonfield Edinburgh, Scotland