Prestonfield
US$320
US$107
  • Pool
Murrayfield Hotel and House(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$122
US$759
US$611
Hotels.com
1,229 results
All reviewsrhubarb restauranttapestry roomhighland cattleowners suitebenjamin franklinitalian roomlord provostramsey suitewhisky roomchateaubriandpublic roomschampagne afternoon teawedding venuearthur's seatstunning hotelupgraded to a suitesister hotel
Reviewed 20 August 2009

We just returned from a one night stay at the Prestonfield Hotel in Edinburgh - and loved it.

We were on a one night "get away from it all" break - and couldn't have chosen a better place for it. From our arrival to our departure, iit was a truly special experience. We arrived at around 6pm and were greeted immediately in the car park by a porter in contemporary Highland dress.He insisted on taking our (small) bags, and had radioed on ahead to reception to let them know we were arriving so that all the documentation etc we had to sign was ready and waiting for us - a nice touch!

Formalities over, we were shown to our room, which was extremely opulent, with THE most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. The heavy pillows were filled with down, and it really was a struggle for me to lift them - just the way I like it! The bed was high, and the antique media cabinet was in just the right position for watching TV from bed. Although, with the gorgeous rooms available to lounge around in, I can't imagine many people would opt to spend tv watching time in their room.

Dinner was amazing, the best cooked lamb I've ever had for main course - it literally fell apart on the plate. Unfortunately, by the time we got to dessert, I just couldn't quite finish my gorgeous creme brulee and shortbread. The girl looking after us for dinner then carried our wine upstairs for us to one of the lounges, where we spent a happy hour or so playing scrabble in the candle-lit room, buried in one of the many squashy sofas.

Back to our room, and we treated ourselves to a bath, in the deep roll top tub - pure luxury, before the best sleep I've had in a long time, helped by the pitch blackness of the room after the drapes are drawn.

All in all, the best hotel experience I've had, and fully deserving of 5* status - even if based purely on the helpfulness and attentiveness of the well trained staff.

Reviewed 10 August 2009

When we first pulled up to the Presonfield i thought to myself I must be in the wrong place, this place smelled of class. I am a jeans and tee shirt kind of guy and so was the wrest of my group. The elegant style of this place made me feel like I was out of place, however, the service and the style of this hotel was amazing. Ben the head conciere was amazing and did everything from contacting us a head of time to see if we wanted a tour guide (which he booked for us), to dinner reservations at any restaurant in the city, to anything. He even let us borrow his laptop to do some work. There was no such thing as they cant help. I have yet to receive service like I did at Prestonfield. The rooms were amazing and the hotel was clean. The food was fabulous at breakfast time and I really was bummed when I had to leave. If you can afford to stay at the Presonfield, its worth every penny.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 August 2009

My host had heard a lot about this hotel and wanted to entertain me whilst on a business visit to Edinburgh. What a disappointment. On arrival we were curtly asked by a man in a black! kilt - Can we help you? Not a word of welcome or even a smile. We decided to start with coffee which arrived luke warm and was more expensive than the Paris Ritz! This is no Paris Ritz! The decor is totally OTT, worse than the excesses in the Emirate states! The ladies loo has to be seen to be believed, however, the tap dripped, the loo did not flush and there were PAPER towels! The lunch was very nice but good ingredients were drowned by complicated sauces and fussy presentation. Finding a staff member can be a challenge!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank ArabellaLOndon
Reviewed 8 July 2009

Chosen because of its reputation for quality service and good food, the Prestonfield did not disappoint. Only 15 mins from the centre of Edinburgh, next to a golf course and with its own heli-pad the Prestonfield is perfectly located.

Prestonfield is a very fine hotel, with great food and lavish decor. The whole ambience says quality and efficiency. Its reputation is one of ‘the best’. So we where a little perturbs that the valet parking was not present - a minor point. The next thing that did concern us was to be told the dining room was full and we would be offered a table ‘our sister restaurant’ The Tower, in the middle of Edinburgh. We explained that this was not acceptable. Afternoon tea was served with a proviso we moved to another room within twenty minutes. So far the signs where not good and we where considering ‘cutting our losses’ and leaving. However very soon afterwards we where informed a table was available.

Drinks before dinner was the turning point. Everything from that point on was perfect, superb service, delightful and helpful staff and good food. The rooms are lavishly decorated, with all the mod cons, discreetly hidden from view. Everything worked and for those familiar with the ’chain hotels’ no signs telling you what you can not do and the charges for everything. Service is discreet and efficient. The atmosphere is relax and pleasant creating a feel that one is a guest in a country house.

In conclusion this is a place to stay, highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2009

My husband and I stayed at The Prestonfield for our first wedding anniversary and we were not dissapointed! Firstly, the grounds were lovely and after staying nearer to town the night before it was fantastic to have the tree's and all the greenery around us. We stayed in one of their suite's and it was gorgeous, everything about it was sexy and romantic - just what we needed for our anniversary!!
The staff were wonderful, from the minute we arrived in our taxi the service was top notch.
We had a wonderful meal in The Rhubarb restaurant which is the hotels only restaurant, again the restaurant itself was gorgeous and the decor fantastic. Food was amazing, not cheap but you have to pay for food served and cooked the way it was in The Rhubarb so no complaints with the price we paid.
We had some lovely anniversary treats in our room when we got back which was a lovely touch and made us feel very special.
We enjoyed feeding the peacocks (by hand) whilst having a few beers in the hotels grounds.
We also ate at The Witchery and The Tower restaurants while we were in Edinburgh, all 3 places have the same owner - ALL of them were amazing so we are big fans of the owner!!
The hotel is a cab drive into town, around £8 in a taxi - well worth staying there and paying a little extra to get into town. When we go back to Edinburgh, we will be staying in The Prestonfield, we loved it!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple