I arrived at Prestonfield in the evening, during the January snowstorm, and the entire building was coated with glittering snow - a setting from a fairytale. The Christmas lights were still up and I was greeted by two adorable, hairy, long-horned cows and some noisy peacocks. The staff were very helpful and friendly - Jenny Matthews at the front desk was wonderful and gave me a free upgrade to a larger suite. The room itself was beautiful - lots of leather, wood, antiques and not too over the top like some of the other rooms. I loved the old fireplace in my room! Guests have everything they need - a soft bathrobe, slippers, chocolate, tea, Moulton Brown bath products. You need it, they have it! I was able to borrow the hotel's laptop computer to connect to the internet as well. The bathroom was small, but the old claw foot tub was nice. I loved the smell in the hotel - it smelled of delicious Papier d'Arménie, or Armenian Paper, which is a fragrant paper that smells like benzoin and light incense when lit. There were also bowls of freshly dried lavender lining the halls. Attention to detail and the restoration was incredible - Prestonfield is like a museum. The restaurant Rhubarb is fantastic too. Staying at Prestonfield is a wonderful experience and I highly recommend it - I will definitely go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Prestonfield is Edinburgh's most indulgent retreat and Scotland's latest 5-star hotel. Rated one of the "Best 101 Hotels in the World" by Tatler/Abercrombie & Kent and AA Hotel of the Year 2005, this exceptional hotel is near Edinburgh's Royal Mile. Prestonfield has been lavishly restored by new owner James Thomson of Edinburgh's famous Witchery by the Castle. Now guests find every modern convenience hidden behind the velvet-upholstered walls of Edinburgh's most talked-about bedrooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Priceline, Ebookers, Odigeo, LateRooms, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Prestonfield reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Prestonfield Hotel Edinburgh
- Prestonfield Edinburgh, Scotland