“Old world elegance, opulent rooms, superb staff!”
Review of Prestonfield

Prestonfield
Ranked #3 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Pacific, Washington
“Old world elegance, opulent rooms, superb staff!”
Reviewed 31 January 2010

I arrived at Prestonfield in the evening, during the January snowstorm, and the entire building was coated with glittering snow - a setting from a fairytale. The Christmas lights were still up and I was greeted by two adorable, hairy, long-horned cows and some noisy peacocks. The staff were very helpful and friendly - Jenny Matthews at the front desk was wonderful and gave me a free upgrade to a larger suite. The room itself was beautiful - lots of leather, wood, antiques and not too over the top like some of the other rooms. I loved the old fireplace in my room! Guests have everything they need - a soft bathrobe, slippers, chocolate, tea, Moulton Brown bath products. You need it, they have it! I was able to borrow the hotel's laptop computer to connect to the internet as well. The bathroom was small, but the old claw foot tub was nice. I loved the smell in the hotel - it smelled of delicious Papier d'Arménie, or Armenian Paper, which is a fragrant paper that smells like benzoin and light incense when lit. There were also bowls of freshly dried lavender lining the halls. Attention to detail and the restoration was incredible - Prestonfield is like a museum. The restaurant Rhubarb is fantastic too. Staying at Prestonfield is a wonderful experience and I highly recommend it - I will definitely go back.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank nwmouse

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Tuscany, Italy
Reviewed 31 January 2010

Here we are again, happy as can be !! Another trip to Prestonfield ! This time with our grown up children and their wives/partners. What a fantastic time - we were in the Churchill Suite this time. For me, not as beautiful as the Franklin but superb just the same. We arrived to our bottles of champagne and chocolates as it was a sixtieth birthday celebration for my husband. The children (!!) were blown away by their rooms ! Just beautiful. We had dinner that night in Rhubarb and like before the menu had delicious choices, presented with great flair. The staff are fantastic and must be one of the hotels greatest assets. One of the loveliest things about Prestonfield is the peace and calm surrounding the hotel itself. You can look out of the window and see peacocks and peahens, highland cattle ambling in the field next to the hotel and you feel as though you are in the country. I have a real problem with city hotels and the noise but this is a true oasis with the most convenient access to a beautiful city. Hopefully we'll be back again soon ! I can't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Angus
Reviewed 30 January 2010

Stayed at Prestonfield for romantic break away from children. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea but we love the over the top interiors, the small snug rooms you can enjoy pre-dinner and post-dinner drinks, the entrance and hallways. Our bedroom was spacious, great bed, maybe could have done with slightly thicker blankets or a duvet in this weather. Good bath. Lots of light in the room and great to look out to green fields, absolutely no noise. Had dinner in Rhubarb, service from Alastair was fantastic, very friendly and professional. Food really tasty. Sirloin steak very tasty and cooked how I liked it. Asked waiter where source beef from and could only say Scotland, would have liked to know where beef is from, as beef farmers and foodies. Alastair back at breakfast, again service excellent. Overall love this hotel and having been many times for corporate dinners and a wedding was great to stay with partner and have a relaxing time. Cosmopolitan pre dinner was excellent. Has to be one of Scotland's top tourism experiences.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Alford, Lincs
Reviewed 29 January 2010

We've stayed at the Witchery 3 times and decided whilst we really enjoyed the opulance and location we fancied a change. Trusting my proposal and other special events to Mr Thompson we thought we'd visit Prestonfields. For people who are suprised at the decor have a look on the Web before you go and crticise it's exactly what is shown.

We received an offer which included a free dinner included in the B&B price which was too god to miss, yet could be taken at anytime of our choosing.

From the moment we arrived the stay was fantastic. Given a personal guided tour, UPGRADED into the Franklin Suite (who originated from near us), a sumptuous dinner,breakfast of equally high quality. An amazing suite, staff of exceptional quality and very polite.

I normally spot small insignificant thiings that others miss and this place was beyond reproach. There was only one negative.......................it rained for the whole 24hrs....still in a place like this we really didn't care.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
edinburgh
Reviewed 26 January 2010

As a local resident I have previously had good, if very expensive experiences as a non-resident. I attended a fund raising Burns supper last week and was appalled. After a good start in the Tapestry room things quickly went from bad to worse. Terrible service and awful food. Everyone had run out of steam by the time the speeches started - some 45 mins late. I have put off my nephew wanting his wedding there this year and in telling this story several other people have also had similar stories of enormous disappointment to tell. There were some well kent people there including James Thomson the owner. I trust he was truly ashamed and embarrassed by this event and will have made some attempt to remedy it by the next Burns supper on 4th Feb 2010

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
9 Thank Ark10
Newcastle
Reviewed 24 November 2009

We couldn't believe our luck when we found this place on laterooms- we'd had a meal there during our honeymoon (we'd stayed at the Witchery) and had always said we'd go back to stay. We were not dissapointed, almost nothing had changed since we had last been, which so often happens when you visit a place you really like.

From the minute we arrived we were met by a friendly greeter on the door who took our bags immediately and showed us to the reception desk. We were then offered a seat whilst they registered us. After this we were taken to our room and showed around and wow! What a beautiful room we had. In Edinburgh it is nigh on impossible to find a luxurious hotel with a car park and a fantastic restaurant for the price we paid at the Prestonfield. We almost felt guilty for the low price we paid. The beds were really comfortable and we had a lovely view overlooking Arthur's seat- very peaceful considering we were only minutues from the hub bub of the city.

We had a dinner package included for one of our nights, this was £30 each and there was amazingly a set menu of 3 courses for £30! )but you could use the amount towards the al la carte menu if you so wished). We ate from the set menu and it was superb, delicious and a lovely atmosphere. Service was attentive and at the end of our meal we were offered a seat in one of their many characteristic lounges to drink our coffee. We chose the a lovely lounge upstairs that had a very cosy open fire. I felt so relaxed I almost fell asleep what with the heavy rain outside and the candle lit, cosy open fire room.

Breakfast was not a dissapointment either. We could both choose from the continental buffet breakfast before indulging in the cooked to order menu. The breakfasts are huge and the high standards of their evening food certainly don't appear to drop at breakfast time.

I must admit that despite being a great lover of late rooms we really are hotel snobs and can be quite critical of where we stay however there is really nothing I can be critical of at this hotel. The staff are friendly and make you feel at home, the food is tasty and exciting, the rooms are luxury, the breakfasts are cooked to order and are well worth the few minutes wait and the surrounding are beautiful. You have the option of a taxi into the city centre which is around £7 or there are regular buses you can catch that are 5 mins away from the hotel entrance. This was worth it to get away for the hustle of the city on an evening when your feet were sore and you wanted a cosy night in.

My final impression of the hotel came when my husband was emailed by the hotel after we had left to advise that I had left my hair straighteners behind in the hotel room. They took the trouble to send them to me through the post with no mention of postage costs etc. These sorts of things are what make customers such as us return time and time again.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone -particularly couples who are looking for a really luxurious and romantic break.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
londre
Reviewed 14 November 2009

It's designer hell. Dark badly lit rooms. Loo roll holder away from the loo. All surfaces covered in objects so no where to put things.

Lip service rather than real service. Bed not turned down even though we were told to leave off the do not disturb sign. News papers ordered not delivered etc.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business