The place to stay in Edinburgh for history, style and a definite wow factor. Lovely rooms, beautiful art and more antiques than you can shake a stick at!
The dining rooms are beautiful and atmospheric although perhaps just a little too dark at night.
Food was very good and felt all the more special in such beautiful surroundings.
We walked into the city centre which took around half an hour (5-10mins in a taxi).
Breakfast was comprehensive and satisfying and was served over several hours, allowing an extra lie-in at the weekend.
We found a couple of minor faults which stopped us from giving a five star rating:
- Room was very cold on arrival - radiator had been turned off
- No coffee or milk in the room on arrival and took a while to come when we asked for it (which we had to do twice!)
- No bottle opener to use on the mini-bar
- We ordered bar meals to have in the room one night and haddock and leek pie was substituted for chicken and leek pie; this was very tasty but it would have been nice to know that the haddock wasn't available and given the option to order something else
Overall would recommend this as a place to stay but the attention to detail just took the edge off what would otherwise have been perfect.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Prestonfield is Edinburgh's most indulgent retreat and Scotland's latest 5-star hotel. Rated one of the "Best 101 Hotels in the World" by Tatler/Abercrombie & Kent and AA Hotel of the Year 2005, this exceptional hotel is near Edinburgh's Royal Mile. Prestonfield has been lavishly restored by new owner James Thomson of Edinburgh's famous Witchery by the Castle. Now guests find every modern convenience hidden behind the velvet-upholstered walls of Edinburgh's most talked-about bedrooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ebookers, Expedia, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Prestonfield reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Prestonfield Hotel Edinburgh
- Prestonfield Edinburgh, Scotland