We stayed here for one night as a very special treat for my birthday and I am now entirely envious of others travellers who are fortunate enough to stay for longer as it was fabulous.
It was a major extravagence to stay in a suite but the experience was worth every penny.
From the drive up to the steps to the tour around the public rooms to being shown our suite I couldn't stop saying wow.
If you don't like dark and decadent then stay elsewhere but for us this was just as opulent and indulgent as we had imagined.....and had hoped for.
The variey of public rooms to sit and laze, drink or read was a treat - the only down side being that staying for only one night meant that we didn't really have enough time to sample them all.
The suite was fabulous - large comfortable bed, gorgeous drapes and fabrics everywhere - very sybaritic aqnd romantic. A previous reveiwer mentioned that they felt there wasn't a place to put anything as all the surfaces were covered with things. We didn't have any trouble finding somewhere to put things and both rooms had drawers galore so I felt spoilt for storage space.
I'm not sure that the bathrooms quite live up to the bedroom and sitting room in terms of decor but to have two of them was indulgent.
Yes, Prestonfield is outside of town a little way but is easily within walking distance and what you lose in immediate proximity to the city centre is more than compensated but a lovely setting and peace and quiet. We came here to get away from it all and it delivered just that. I didn't want to go anywhere once I'd arrived.
Last but definitely not least the staff were wonderful - efficient, couteous, extremely helpful and most of all achieving it without being overbearing or us feeling uncomfortable - in short quite delightful. Even though the building, grounds and rooms are wonderful I really don't think that i would have enjoyed it quite as much without the wonderful guys on the door who helped us in and showed us around and the lovely receptionist who checked us out when we left. In fact all the staff we met.
I just hope that one day we can stay here again .
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Prestonfield is Edinburgh's most indulgent retreat and Scotland's latest 5-star hotel. Rated one of the "Best 101 Hotels in the World" by Tatler/Abercrombie & Kent and AA Hotel of the Year 2005, this exceptional hotel is near Edinburgh's Royal Mile. Prestonfield has been lavishly restored by new owner James Thomson of Edinburgh's famous Witchery by the Castle. Now guests find every modern convenience hidden behind the velvet-upholstered walls of Edinburgh's most talked-about bedrooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Agoda, Ctrip TA, LateRooms, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Prestonfield reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Prestonfield Hotel Edinburgh
- Prestonfield Edinburgh, Scotland