“Faultless”
Review of Prestonfield

Prestonfield
Ranked #4 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 4 May 2010

I've stayed in a few good hotels in the last couple of years (Hoxton, Hazlitts). Prestonfield is a bit different, but our recent stay was a wonderful experience from beginning to end. I would particularly like to mention the staff, who were welcoming and efficient; the breakfasts which were superb, and the restaurant - very very good. You wouldn't want to stay here too long because you'd lose the will to live any other way. But for a day or two there's nothing to beat it. Thanks!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,180)

Reviewed 4 April 2010

Had a fantastic 2 night stay with my husband. This hotel has the wow factor! The service is impeccable from the moment you arrive with staff who are friendly and relaxed and all look very well turned out (check out the guys in their black kilts!). The attention to detail is fantastic, even offering more lighting for the rooms if the 'atmospheric lighting' is not enough. The climate control kept the room nice and toasty. The rooms have everything you could need and more. Breakfast is fantastic, especially if you get a table by the window! I love the turndown service which is accompanied by a booklet of information for the following day including weather forecast which is a nice touch. The various public rooms are comfortable with amazing decor. Dinner at Rhubarb is superb, with immaculate service and a real treat, especially for a special occasion( better than the Witchery- if you need to choose one, pick Rhubarb!). I loved the peacocks too, despite their early morning squawking, one was doing a dance in front of our room which was a hilarious start to the day! We cant wait to go back, and hope one day my husband will treat me to a stay at the Owners Suite!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2010

Having decided I would propose to my partner, I found the Prestonfield using Trip Advisor I decided to book, and boy this place did not dissapoint!!! Everything from planning the proposal to making my partner feel extra special when she arrived and treating us both like Kings of the Castle! I booked the Ramsey Suite, and what a suite! very decedant, which sums up this hotel!

Service cannot be faulted, Dinner was exquisite, where we were given a private room just for the two of us, breakfast was immense, to having freshly squeezed juice infront of my very own eyes. I was even give the leather room where the staff all helped light candals and create an amazing setting for me to propose!

My thanks to all the staff at the Prestonfield and especially to Nicola who was able to assist on the day of the proposal.

My partner and I will certainly be back at the Prestonfield!!

N&N

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2010

My partner and I stayed at Prestonfield for a special treat and a treat it was. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, I could not fault anything. Upon arriving at the hotel the kilted doorman took us to reception where the lovely Nicola greeted us at reception - staff are so efficient our registration card was out and awaiting on a signature.
We loved the small things like being shown to our room and the “check up” call. The room its self was out of this world – decadent would be the word. Dinner in Rhubarb something everyone should experience – Derek the manager was a fantastic, really looked after us.
The next day we wanted to sightsee in Edinburgh and again Nicola was there to go above and beyond. Telling us things to do, must see and local hangouts. She even arranged lunch in a beautiful café and tickets for the main sights like the castle to be waiting for us.

Our time in Edinburgh was exactly what we hoped it would be. We will definitely be back. It is a credit to Prestonfield to have staff like Nicola and Derek – both friendly and only too happy to help.

We will be recommending Prestonfield to all our friends.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2010

We stayed here for one night as a very special treat for my birthday and I am now entirely envious of others travellers who are fortunate enough to stay for longer as it was fabulous.
It was a major extravagence to stay in a suite but the experience was worth every penny.
From the drive up to the steps to the tour around the public rooms to being shown our suite I couldn't stop saying wow.
If you don't like dark and decadent then stay elsewhere but for us this was just as opulent and indulgent as we had imagined.....and had hoped for.
The variey of public rooms to sit and laze, drink or read was a treat - the only down side being that staying for only one night meant that we didn't really have enough time to sample them all.
The suite was fabulous - large comfortable bed, gorgeous drapes and fabrics everywhere - very sybaritic aqnd romantic. A previous reveiwer mentioned that they felt there wasn't a place to put anything as all the surfaces were covered with things. We didn't have any trouble finding somewhere to put things and both rooms had drawers galore so I felt spoilt for storage space.
I'm not sure that the bathrooms quite live up to the bedroom and sitting room in terms of decor but to have two of them was indulgent.
Yes, Prestonfield is outside of town a little way but is easily within walking distance and what you lose in immediate proximity to the city centre is more than compensated but a lovely setting and peace and quiet. We came here to get away from it all and it delivered just that. I didn't want to go anywhere once I'd arrived.
Last but definitely not least the staff were wonderful - efficient, couteous, extremely helpful and most of all achieving it without being overbearing or us feeling uncomfortable - in short quite delightful. Even though the building, grounds and rooms are wonderful I really don't think that i would have enjoyed it quite as much without the wonderful guys on the door who helped us in and showed us around and the lovely receptionist who checked us out when we left. In fact all the staff we met.
I just hope that one day we can stay here again .

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2010

The place to stay in Edinburgh for history, style and a definite wow factor. Lovely rooms, beautiful art and more antiques than you can shake a stick at!

The dining rooms are beautiful and atmospheric although perhaps just a little too dark at night.
Food was very good and felt all the more special in such beautiful surroundings.

We walked into the city centre which took around half an hour (5-10mins in a taxi).
Breakfast was comprehensive and satisfying and was served over several hours, allowing an extra lie-in at the weekend.

We found a couple of minor faults which stopped us from giving a five star rating:
- Room was very cold on arrival - radiator had been turned off
- No coffee or milk in the room on arrival and took a while to come when we asked for it (which we had to do twice!)
- No bottle opener to use on the mini-bar
- We ordered bar meals to have in the room one night and haddock and leek pie was substituted for chicken and leek pie; this was very tasty but it would have been nice to know that the haddock wasn't available and given the option to order something else

Overall would recommend this as a place to stay but the attention to detail just took the edge off what would otherwise have been perfect.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2010

Hotel is out of the central Edinburgh area to accommodate the golf course, but it's not that far away. The restaurant was excellent and the black pudding there is possibly the best that I've had.

Service was top notch and the stay did not disappoint.

Extra marks for having peacocks roost in the trees nearby and the black tulips lining the way into the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple