“Elegantly Imposing”
Review of Prestonfield

Prestonfield
Ranked #4 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 5 June 2010

This is a five star, luxury hotel located outside of city center in a manor house which has had additions to create very elegant rooms. Each room seems to be individually furnished with antique and/or very classical formal accoutrements. The rooms look out over gardens or the golf course. The staff is very attentive. There are many private lounges where a guest can relax in a variety of settings, all comfortable and definitely formal in décor. The restaurant, Rhubarb, has the look of a grand dining room set for a meal with royalty. (There appeared to be four wine glasses at each setting.) Although there are no dress requirements, the atmosphere seems to naturally demand subdued, dignified and proper etiquette. The hotel is justifiably highly rated as one of the top accommodations in Edinburgh. For me, the stay was pleasant but the level of formality that exudes from the place itself made it difficult to feel completely at ease. I suppose I would have appreciated staff encouraging a little more levity and reducing the feeling of formality just a touch. The hotel itself speaks for its elegance and history. This is definitely a hotel for the upper crust.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Prestonfield

Reviewed 27 May 2010

I loved this Hotel. I have stayed in many top hotels the world over; Prestonfield is up with my favourites. If you want International bland stay elsewhere, If you want idiosyncratic splendour coupled with superb service and tremendous comfort stay here. A wonderful experience from start to finish. I didn't want to leave and cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 May 2010

Probably the most romantic hotel in Scotland and either top or very near it of all the hotels I have stayed in - and that does include some pretty fancy places!
From the moment the curiously sexy young men in their black kilts hand you out of your car and smile their welcome, you know that service here is something they really do understand. I would describe it as discreetly attentive. Nothing was too much trouble and every member of staff gave the air of being very happy to help.
The gorgeous rooms are totally over the top in decor and I just felt totally cocooned from the stresses of the likes of George Street shopping and Edinburgh's inexplicable one-way system.
We spent two blissful days being pampered, rested and very well fed. We tried all the various options for eating - room service, breakfast service, afternoon tea, dinner & cocktails and all were extremely well executed.
There were at least two functions including a wedding during out stay, but other than a glimpse of the oh-so-happy bride, we would not have noticed and were not in any way overlooked in favour of the bigger spending guests.
The staff greeted us like long lost friends each tiem we returned from a sortie to the city and even gave us a wee tour of the owner's suite (the newest room available for booking) before we reluctantly left.
This is a wonderful hotel for a romantic break or a special celebration, and well worth saving the pennies for. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2010

I've stayed in a few good hotels in the last couple of years (Hoxton, Hazlitts). Prestonfield is a bit different, but our recent stay was a wonderful experience from beginning to end. I would particularly like to mention the staff, who were welcoming and efficient; the breakfasts which were superb, and the restaurant - very very good. You wouldn't want to stay here too long because you'd lose the will to live any other way. But for a day or two there's nothing to beat it. Thanks!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 April 2010

Had a fantastic 2 night stay with my husband. This hotel has the wow factor! The service is impeccable from the moment you arrive with staff who are friendly and relaxed and all look very well turned out (check out the guys in their black kilts!). The attention to detail is fantastic, even offering more lighting for the rooms if the 'atmospheric lighting' is not enough. The climate control kept the room nice and toasty. The rooms have everything you could need and more. Breakfast is fantastic, especially if you get a table by the window! I love the turndown service which is accompanied by a booklet of information for the following day including weather forecast which is a nice touch. The various public rooms are comfortable with amazing decor. Dinner at Rhubarb is superb, with immaculate service and a real treat, especially for a special occasion( better than the Witchery- if you need to choose one, pick Rhubarb!). I loved the peacocks too, despite their early morning squawking, one was doing a dance in front of our room which was a hilarious start to the day! We cant wait to go back, and hope one day my husband will treat me to a stay at the Owners Suite!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2010

Having decided I would propose to my partner, I found the Prestonfield using Trip Advisor I decided to book, and boy this place did not dissapoint!!! Everything from planning the proposal to making my partner feel extra special when she arrived and treating us both like Kings of the Castle! I booked the Ramsey Suite, and what a suite! very decedant, which sums up this hotel!

Service cannot be faulted, Dinner was exquisite, where we were given a private room just for the two of us, breakfast was immense, to having freshly squeezed juice infront of my very own eyes. I was even give the leather room where the staff all helped light candals and create an amazing setting for me to propose!

My thanks to all the staff at the Prestonfield and especially to Nicola who was able to assist on the day of the proposal.

My partner and I will certainly be back at the Prestonfield!!

N&N

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2010

My partner and I stayed at Prestonfield for a special treat and a treat it was. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, I could not fault anything. Upon arriving at the hotel the kilted doorman took us to reception where the lovely Nicola greeted us at reception - staff are so efficient our registration card was out and awaiting on a signature.
We loved the small things like being shown to our room and the “check up” call. The room its self was out of this world – decadent would be the word. Dinner in Rhubarb something everyone should experience – Derek the manager was a fantastic, really looked after us.
The next day we wanted to sightsee in Edinburgh and again Nicola was there to go above and beyond. Telling us things to do, must see and local hangouts. She even arranged lunch in a beautiful café and tickets for the main sights like the castle to be waiting for us.

Our time in Edinburgh was exactly what we hoped it would be. We will definitely be back. It is a credit to Prestonfield to have staff like Nicola and Derek – both friendly and only too happy to help.

We will be recommending Prestonfield to all our friends.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple