“Lovely hotel, great boutique styling. Excellent food.”

Malmaison Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #92 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Harlow, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel, great boutique styling. Excellent food.”
Reviewed 30 July 2011

I often stay at the Malmaison in Edinburgh for work where the office is 30 seconds away (no exaggeration). I always look forward to staying at the Malmaison as it's very much styled as a boutique hotel. The concept is lovely, decor beautiful, staff are very friendly and attentive and rooms stunning. Throughout this stay I decided to have dinner here for the first time. I usually only have breakfast and then find a restaurant locally for dinner. The breakfast first of all is amazing. With breakfast added on at the time of booking, you will get a continental buffet, toast, coffee/tea and then you can order something from the menu - stuffed all day! The dinner I had was simply amazing. The menu was plentiful and had a great selection of foods anyone would be a fan of. I opted for snails to start and the Mal Burger for my main. The house red is a Malbec Shiraz, very good tasty wine. The seating is fantastic. Dining alone I was seated at a nice table with a divider. Book in hand, I was in heaven. The rooms are very comfortable and amenities are just right. The usual - shower gel, conditioner, body cream but all lovely bottles of the stuff. Cotton wool, buds. They've taken care of lots of stuff I didn't bother to pack. Helps the easyjet luggage allowance!

The only drawback I would say - is - the breakfast staff are slow on the uptake. Two mornings in a row I had come down for breakfast and been seated for just under 10 minutes before making eye contact or actually asking someone if I could order. The evening service was not like that at all. Perhaps they assumed I didn't want to order from the menu. I would give them the benefit of the doubt and say perhaps they are busy but they weren't. Two members of staff setting tables whilst there were many empty tables already set and no one waiting to be seated? That isn't acceptable. Also, whilst the complimentary toast is a great idea, there is potential waste. Some people don't eat bread in the morning. Also depending on what you're ordering from the menu, you may not want toast. I ordered boiled eggs with soldiers. Lovely, filling, and so no toast necessary. It's a very generous offering but I saw many waiters returning uneaten toast to the kitchen which is such a waste. I'd be interested in staying at other malmaisons (for pleasure, not work mind).

Room Tip: They are all fantastically pleasant rooms with no noise
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank FoodieClaireBlog

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
london
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Malmaison Edinburgh feels like the poor old cousin of Malmaison Glasgow or Manchester. Poorly maintained and with disastrous room service food. It did not have the plush feeling one would expect. The location was nice and quiet. When I complained at the check out I was told to email the hotel, over one week after our stay we still had no reply from managent to the email and only after forwarding it to head office did we get a reply. We will sadly not be returning.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank lindalazer
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Our last night in Scotland before returning to the US and our stay at the Malmaison capped off a great holiday. We stayed in the Port of Leith room overlooking the courtyard and Canal and our room was huge and fabulous. The bar area and outdoor patio seemed to be the heartbeat of the area. The little Fish place across the square was great for lunch; great atmosphere & the food is incredible. We did try the hotel restaurant for dinner, but service was very slow and food just ok. Very posh, upscale hotel which we really enjoyed.
Overall, we would stay there again in a heartbeat !

Room Tip: Don't stay at the back of the hotel, where the rooms face the inside courtyard. See other review...
Aberdeen, Scotland
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Stayed at the Malmaison in Leith in April as we were visiting The Kitchin for dinner. We have a Mal in Aberdeen and was expecting something of a similar class but unfortunately was really disappointed, The hotel needs refurbishing in my opinion, room is no better than any budget chain hotel, nowhere near as good as the Aberdeen hotel. We were also woken up at 4.30 in the morning with the fire alarm going off, obviously these things happen but after assembling outside to await the fire brigade, we were then ushered back to our rooms, just settled back into bed then it went off again, then again and again, obviously a fault with the system and someone was standing next to it, disabling the alarm every time it sounded. We were handed an apology letter on checking out but no explanation and no offer of anything for the inconvenience or disturbance. All in all, the hotel needs some money spent on it and if it wasn''t for the location to the restaurant we were visiting we would not have stayed there. Next time we go to Edinburgh, Malmaison will not be our choice of accommodation.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Derry City Northern Ireland
Reviewed 27 July 2011

My partner and I recently stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and we really enjoyed it. The breakfat was great and the service too especially from the Yorkshire girl on reception (sorry we did not get your name) who looked after us so well and despite a small complaint ensured that we went to Malmaison in Glasgow for 3 nights that we were really looked after thank you. The location is really good with lovely restaurants and cinema and shopping to hand once you navigate through Leith which is much more pleasant once you get to the port. I would return and the hotel was mostly very quiet ensuring plenty of rest which we both do like on holiday

Room Tip: Our room was on the 5th floor overlooking the side of the hotel and port was very pleasant
UK
Reviewed 19 July 2011

My wife and I stayed here for a romantic weekend break. We chose the Malmaison in Leith because of its location on the port and the number of fantastic restaurants near by. The Malmaison is located right on the port within minutes walking distance of all the restaurants which was ideal. The staff are very friendly and attentive and looked after us well. The room was a little tired but clean and acceptable. I did not choose to eat at the hotel as the choice of restaurants around Leitfh is fantastic, these range from amazing fish restaurants to Award winning Chinese, Indian, French and of course the Michelin star Kitchin restaurant. I will certainly recommend staying in this area and I would not hesitate in recommending the Malmaison.

Room Tip: It is always worth asking for an upgrade as the staff are more than happy to oblige if they have ava...
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights whilst visiting Edinburgh. We enjoyed our stay- the hotel was easy enough to find (bearing in mind it is a listed building therefore not allowed big ugly signs) and in a good location if you want to be away from the city centre and instead be near all the restaurants in Leith. The bus route was close by (a couple of minutes' walk) and they took around 20 minutes to get to Princes Street. The buses were regular, around every 10 mins even on Sundays, and a day-pass was around £3.60.

The room was spacious and clean and had more charisma than a lot of chain-hotel rooms. It was a little noisy- I was woken up by the people in the room next door talking early in the morning; I think because there was an adjoining door between our rooms, and I am a light sleeper! We didn't eat at the hotel but we had some cocktails at the bar, which were good, and ordered late-night room service one night, which was quick (just cheese on toast).

The reception staff were friendly and helpful; they let us use their printer to check in for our return flight. There was also free internet in our room.

Nearby restuarants/cafes to try include The Shore (best fish and chips ever) and Mimi's Bakehouse for brunch is an absolute must. Both are within 3 mins walk of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple