“Not like other Malmaison Hotels - Just started all wrong” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Malmaison Hotel Edinburgh

Malmaison Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #92 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Not like other Malmaison Hotels - Just started all wrong”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

Booked to spend a special birthday and wish we hadn't. There is so much choice and competition I should have went for a safe bet - I didn't and wish I had!
The moment I walked in I just knew it would be a big dissapointment. After you battle your way through the smokers to get in I was faced with a receptionist that clearly hasn't been trained properly and the check-in was impersonal, robotic and insulting.
The room was fine, nothing special, nothing really wrong, just a room.
Bar service was shocking - just don't bother. Go out!
Breakfast was very good I should add but enough staff to run an empire - all tripping over each other.
Check out was worse than check in - same girl but this time she bawled out my entire bill, item by item including the room rate (which was NOT good value it turns out) to all, including others checking out. I've never seen the like!
Don't get me wrong. I don't mind paying for service and I'll pay £500 per night (and have) if it's equalled by service and comfort but at £150 per night for this place I felt very short changed.
Easy outcome though. I won't be back..

Room Tip: Don't go elsewhere.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Bil1965

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

We stayed the hotel using a itison voucher. The entrance was lovely and the staff were friendly. However the fininsh off the furnishings was poor. The carpet in our room was dull and did not join together. The lift carpet and corridor was dated and freyed. The food was nice, overpriced but nice and the breakfast was a bit dry and not fresh. Would our room have been nicer if we paid full price!!! The immediate surrounding area was nice but we ventured out into leith and it was very unappealing. We got a taxi into the city at a cost of £7.Free parking was great.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Elgin, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

my wife and I stayed for one night for her birthday. Admittedly we only paid £80 for 2 for one night but to be honest that was all it was worth. We have stayed in much nicer hotels than this. The fact that it is classed as a boutique hotel is surprising since it is distinctly average. The public areas are quite shabby in places and the decor is dark and oppressive. We had a lengthy wait for breakfast as everyone seemed to go down at the same time. People were queuing in the lobby to get a table. The tables were very close together and it felt cramped. All in all overpriced and disappointing.

Room Tip: you need to be prepared to upgrade to get a room anything like the publicity photographs
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

We love this hotel!!! We go a couple of times a year for a weekend away, it is great value for your money if you want all the luxuries but not the ridiculous 'Edinburgh' prices. You also get free wi-fi and free parking. LOVE IT!!!

Room Tip: Room 216 has a nice view of the water and is a little larger
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights in a huge room with two double beds, large TV, free wi-fi, mini-bar, 2 comfortable chairs and a table and a well-appointed good sized en-suite, complete with bath and complimentary toiletries. The second night as it was cold and rainy we decided to have room service and this arrived within 20 minutes and was very good. The hotel also has free parking and is close to Ocean Terminal with lots of shops, restaurants, bars and cinema - this too had free parking so after shopping we left the car in the car park and caught one of the frequent buses into town. The only downside to the hotel was that the lighting was very dim. I overheard someone else remarking on this to the receptionist.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Deal, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2012

My wife and I stayed here on a three night mid-week break last week and thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of our stay. We had stayed here last December so knew what to expect, however this time we up graded to a superior room and it made all the difference. The room had a double aspect over the water of Leith, large bed, sofa etc. etc. The bathroom was also a very good size, with the usual supply of good quality towels and Malmaison toiletries.
I also appreciate that they have good quality coffee and tea's etc. available in the room.
The cooked breakfast is excellent value, (particularly if your remember to pre-book the night before it's a lower price), with more than enough to meet all tastes. I always take the opportunity to have the kippers when staying in hotels in Scotland and the Mal’s kippers are very tasty indeed. Free parking at the hotel is also a bonus.
We also ate in the restaurant (which I will review separately but needless to say it was first class).
Finally, what can make any hotel stay memorable is the staff and once again they were perfect, I cannot speak highly enough of them. In summary it was one of the best hotel stays we have had in the last year and I would highly recommend anyone to visit. (However, please note I believe what made this stay special was upgrading to a superior room).

Room Tip: Choose an upgrade to a superious room overlooking the Water of Leith, you will not be dissapointed.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ianx17489
Oban, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2012

Just back from a great two night say with my mum. Booked a superior twin and ended up with a massive room with two double beds! Very good size TV and even had a table and chairs that we enjoyed room service at. Good to have free parking and worth noting that Ocean Terminal just around the corner has free parking for the cinema/shops and restaurants if it’s a bit wet and windy to walk and all the buses to city centre go from here. A few bits here and there maintenance wise could be improved such as a few cracks in tiles etc but overall really nice décor and lovely feel to the place. I booked on the prepay saver rate and was very impressed with what a good deal I managed to get.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family