“Lovely hotel with great local restaurants by a canal”

Malmaison Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #94 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel with great local restaurants by a canal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

The hotel is lovely, rooms well done up, stylish and comfortable. Great beds. However, the room (no. 129) had the coldest bathroom with the most useless blow heater. It spoilt our overall experience of what would otherwise have been a great stay. The restaurant and bar were busy and friendly. Staff were helpful.

Room Tip: The room was at the end of the hallway, so had outerwalls on three sides, which probably aggravated...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Karen C
MalManager, General Manager at Malmaison Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Karen

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am very pleased to read that you think the hotel is lovely and that our staff are friendly and helpful. Something we very much pride ourselves on. Also thank you for your feedback with regards to the bathroom temperature. My Maintenance Manager will be looking at this as a matter of urgency so we can rectify this problem.

I do hope this will not put you off visiting us again in the future and I very much look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

From when we arrived we were made to feel special.

...ish

It was a good 4 star experience but I have to say that I have been felt more welcome at other Edinburgh hotels, especially Hotel du vin.

Look, it was good. And deserved 4 stars, but it was a long way away from five.

The room was nice, but very dark. No matter what we did to the lighting, it still came up dark.
And we had a high-lift outside our window on the Sunday morning!

A note under the door asking us to draw the curtains, or a mention from the desk, would have been nice.

A generous 4 stars. Probably sentimental as we used to live in Leith. Less subjective folks would have given Malmaison a three.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank skotle
Guadalajara, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

Years ago when I started out as a chef in 1996 I worked in the kitchen here for 2 years. Not only was that a special time for me but it was also the deepest talent pool id ever worked in. The smartest people in the business in Edinburgh at the time ALL worked at the Mal. Over the years Ive watched the commercial side of hospitality take over. Gone are the days of being black and white back of house. Today its all customer focused. I was delighted to check out the cafe bar. The extension to the hotel and the restaurant. It was really a walk down memory lane. The standards here are strong. Something I really think other businesses should appreciate. I watched a waited over 45 mins walk past a woman who's child was left to amuse himself by throwing scrambled egg on the floor. Everytime the waited passed. He would clean it up. Make a big smile at the baby and he would carry on. Most restaurants these day wouldn't tolerate that. I just enjoyed the temperament of the situation. The lady who was obviously spending a lot of money on wine or a regular customer knew her boundaries and the waiter took control of the situation. Its pretty old school. We ate good food and the waited recommended a great wine. Even managed to get our emails to send us some info on a deal they are doing at all the Mals. It was a nice afternoon so you can hang out the front of the bar on the dock and look what leith dockyard has become after millions of pounds invested in regeneration. It was not too long ago the Mal was surrounded by old boozers and girls working the street. For me the area was on its knees and the Malmaison was the only real attraction. Now the area has been boosted and stands alone. Check out the sunday lunch menu. If your heading.

Room Tip: Stay in any of the rooms from the second floor up facing the dock year. The car park isn't to pr...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SlamMonkey
Stewart C, General Manager at Malmaison Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Mr Yates

Thank you for your fabulous review which I really enjoyed reading. I can only imagine the change you will have seen from Malmaison in 1996 to todays product. Whilst the building may have changed, the one thing we hope has not is our passion to provide great food and service.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and I hope to welcome you back again soon.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

The Sunday Stopover deal offers a room for £25 when you spend over £75 in the Brasserie restaurant which sounded a good deal. Unfortunately, the food is well below the standards we expected of a hotel like Malmaison. The menu prices mean nothing as the portions are all small. We had pate and chicken lollipops starters. The pate was tasteless and a small piece of brioche was wrapped In a napkin. The chicken lollipops were 4 small pieces of chicken on skewers set in a wooden stand that would have looked okay at a children's party, priced at £8.50. The main courses of chicken tikka and a burger were also disappointing. The burger was in fairness tasty but never came with fries as it was meant to and priced at £15, it's the most expensive burger I've had. There is a "discretionary" 10% service charge added straight onto the bill and so the waiting staff made little effort and the atmosphere in the restaurant was poor. We had booked for breakfast but cancelled after the dining experience and went to Frankie & Benny's at Ocean Terminal instead which was proper 4 star food at less than half the price Malmaison would have charged. We went to get a drink in the bar in the bar and found that they don't serve pints of beer, only 2/3rd pints ! The hotel room was at least decent and we had booked this hotel as the review rating was good. The dining experience has put us off ever going back or recommending it.

Stayed January 2014
3 Thank Lesley T
Dear Lesley,

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review.

I would like to sincerely apologise for the standard of food served to you during your stay with us. We pride ourselves on providing the very best quality of food on our menus and I am deeply saddened to hear about your experience. I have carried out a thorough investigation of the issues raised and they have been the subject of my meetings with my Head Chef and Brasserie Management.

I would like to reiterate my sincere apologies and can assure you that steps have been taken for us to deliver our usual very high standards of food quality and I am confident on your next visit you will notice a marked improvement.

I ask you to contact me directly at scampbell@malmaison.com to enable me the opportunity to restore your faith in Malmaison Edinburgh.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post this review, your co-operation and constructive comments have been very worthwhile and will help to ensure our standards are restored.

I hope to hear from you soon.
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

We stayed door 3 nights, got a good deal with breakfast and dinner on first night so were very happy with the experience
We opted for an upgrade to a superior room, this was lovely with a great view over the water.
Bed was large and very comfortable
Even though we had niggles we had a fantastic stay but I'm not sure this I'd the best Malmaison

Good:
Fantastic location, lots of bars and restaurants in the immediate area
Public transport links were on the doorstep and buses abundant, very easy to use and good value
Food was excellent, both cooked breakfast and evening meal were superb. I would opt for the £2 extra for cooked breakfast - although the continental was good (fantastic Mal muesli and fruit compot) there was no cold meats which I would have expected for £13.95
All the staff were lovely all very friendly and really helpful

No good:
Room was usual dark decor, but expect this in Mals, it would be nice to have enough light to read a newspaper
Even though we were supposed to have a replenished room paint was peeling in bathroom
Weird coffee, it was some sort of filter vague, I never got the hang of it!
Would have liked smaller more plentiful toiletries which were replenished (no body lotion)
Christmas posters were still in evidence on 18th January

Room Tip: Go for an upgrade with a view 320 was lovely
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jandmoz
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

First time at a Malmaison Hotel, was not disappointed. Stayed from Christmas Eve for two nights. Free car park is a bonus for a city hotel. Room was ready on arrival, we had a room on the first floor overlooking the front of the hotel. Lots of bars and restuarnts nearby. We had Christmas Day dinner which was absolutely delicious. The hotel is a ten minute walk. To the Ocean Terminal shopping centre and only two minutes to the bus stop with buses every 15 minutes to Princess street and surrounding areas. Will definitely return

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank icburns
Deal, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

It's been over a year since we last stayed at this hotel and once again we had a great experience. We stayed here between Xmas and new year for a few days break. We had a lovely room overlooking the front of the hotel, which had a separate lounge and bedroom area, large TV and WiFi that worked and a large comfortable bed. Having stayed here before, we knew what to expect and were pleased that the staff were all still very friendly but slick and professional.
Evening meals and breakfast are excellent, with plenty of choice and you never feel under any pressure to leave your table.
There is a terrific selection of bars and restaurants right on the doorstep if you are staying for a few days or longer, to suit every budget, each of them with a different character.
It's great to have free parking in an Edinburgh hotel and we always take the car when going into the centre as there are plenty of convenient parking places in town. (There is also a bus service less than a few minutes walk from the hotel).
Would certainly return again.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view over the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple