We stayed here in May for a special occasion. I had originally booked a standard room but on arrival asked if I could upgrade. There was a suite available which we were able to upgrade to for a very reasonable price.
We got room 120 which was a delightfully big room with a four poster bed a large sitting area. It overlooked the front of the hotel and the quayside - perfect. The front of the hotel gets the sun in the afternoon and evening.
Breakfasts are good with a good choice of cooked food as well as continental.
The hotel is situated in Leith which is about 2 miles from the centre of Edinburgh, near the Scottish Assembly. This didn't matter to us as we needed to be in this area, but might be a bit off putting if you want to be in the centre. What I would say is that there is a great bus service to the Old City or Princess Street, from a buss stop a couple of minutes walk from the hotel. Catch a 35 to the Old City or a 22 or 16 to Princess Street. It costs £1.50 or you can get a day rover for £3.50, using the buses as often as you like. Take plenty of change, none given on the bus.
This area has been regenerated in recent years and there are plenty of bars and restaurants in the vicinity.
Would definitely stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- It's the mother of all Malmaison's. The former house of ill-repute now has a reputation that's second to none, and it's also just a short taxi ride away from Waverley Station. Malmaison Edinburgh bides at Leith (as they say up here), just a stone's throw from the Royal Yacht Britannia, but offering far more funky luxury. Yes, when you want exciting hotels in Edinburgh, this is the King, not the castle. Our Edinburgh hotel puts you close to all of Edinburgh's cobbled splendours, incredible shopping and famous galleries. Then it's back to Mal for Scots dining with a twist, a fine selection of single malts and mojitos in the bar and then back to the slinkiest and most spectacular rooms in the Scots capital. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Malmaison Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Edinburgh Malmaison Hotel
- Malmaison Edinburgh
- Malmaison Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland