“Great hotel, friendly and helpful staff”
Review of Malmaison Hotel

Malmaison Hotel
Ranked #95 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here in May for a special occasion. I had originally booked a standard room but on arrival asked if I could upgrade. There was a suite available which we were able to upgrade to for a very reasonable price.
We got room 120 which was a delightfully big room with a four poster bed a large sitting area. It overlooked the front of the hotel and the quayside - perfect. The front of the hotel gets the sun in the afternoon and evening.
Breakfasts are good with a good choice of cooked food as well as continental.
The hotel is situated in Leith which is about 2 miles from the centre of Edinburgh, near the Scottish Assembly. This didn't matter to us as we needed to be in this area, but might be a bit off putting if you want to be in the centre. What I would say is that there is a great bus service to the Old City or Princess Street, from a buss stop a couple of minutes walk from the hotel. Catch a 35 to the Old City or a 22 or 16 to Princess Street. It costs £1.50 or you can get a day rover for £3.50, using the buses as often as you like. Take plenty of change, none given on the bus.
This area has been regenerated in recent years and there are plenty of bars and restaurants in the vicinity.
Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,033)

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Stayed here for two nights for business with several colleagues.

Check in was efficient considering all 8 of us arrived at once. When we all conferred over dinner it seems that our rooms varied greatly in size and views. Mine was small, clean and had a view over the water and seemed to be on the quiet side of the hotel. One thing we all agreed on was that there was only a 'heating' option and no 'cooling systems for the room'. It was over 20 degrees during the day and some found the rooms quite warm. Mine was ok with the large window open all night.

The bed - a personal taste issue - but I found mine to be very hard and this meant I struggled to sleep through the night.

Dinner - expensive but tasty and well cooked. we opted to eat out on the other night.

Drinks - in the attached bar area were very expensive. and only schooners are served 2/3 of a pint. lager was £3.80 cocktails varied from £8 up to nearly £10. so don't expect any change from £20 if you are getting a few drinks in!

Breakfast - one of my colleagues ended up leaving the breakfast area as his order was still not delivered by the time we had to leave - considering he arrived with half and hour to spare this was not good. I suggest getting there with plenty of time - checking the menu quickly and getting your order in fast! From my orders I would say the breakfast was very tasty - it just took a while for the waiting staff to get themselves organised in the mornings it seems. Perhaps not an issue if you have plenty of time to spare or are there on a leisure break.

mini bar - as usual for hotels ridiculously expensive, but some unusual and different products supplied....

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Avoid room 203! The room has no outlook at all - faces a wall and is over I assume the kitchen extractors. The window has obscured glass, combined with the dark (ambient!) lighting makes you feel like you are in the basement. The room was so hot - I dread to think what it was like in the summer. I had no choice but to endure it as, with the window open, the humming noises from the extractor were loud and every 10 or so minutes kicked into to extra loud for about 10 minutes. The bed was so hard it was like sleeping on the floor, I like a firm mattress but this was so uncomfortable. The curtain only just covered the window, drawing it was a hard job - the rail desperately needed a clean I thought. In tugging it closed, three hooks came out and when I climbed up to fix it I realised the proper curtain hooks had long since broken and the curtain was being held up by a combination of a a few curtain hooks and the rest bent wire replacements - no wonder the curtain was so tough to close. Not what you expect for a £100+ room rate.

There is no sound insulation - I could hear quite clearly the person in the next room using the toilet and everyone walking past the door. The doors are heavy and close very loudly so you are kept awake until the last person is in bed!

Breakfast doesn't start until 7am - not great for the business traveller and so I never got chance to try it out.

There are pluses....free parking, nice toiletries and lovely fluffy towels, but I would happily forgo these for a good night's sleep.

Overall, thoroughly disappointed with MalMaison and would not consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Avoid room 203
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank sparkey5
Reviewed 13 May 2014

booked a suite as a surprise for partners birthday,after finding check in was asked for voucher,sorry paid in advance no vocher deal.Having to check this with another staff member ..this was confirmed. was given two cocktail vouchers included in price.Room was lovely ,very cleanand nice street facing views to cobbled front.Free standing bath at window great until you realised flats opposite looked in and you have no blind.At checkout was asked if I had used mini bar or had lunch ,sorry no I hadn't and was looked at in disbelief,again after checking cocktails had been billed to room.Eventually it was clarified but with no apology.sorry but this is not good customer service Iwas left feeling as if I had tried to avoid payment .

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights for part of our honeymoon exploring Scotland, and paid £153 per night for our suite, which was lovely, although at night you couldn't see much as there was no main room light, just lamps...all the extras in the room were extortionate too......we decided to have breakfast in our room, which was very disappointing to be honest for the money you pay, a glass of yogurt, 2 croissants and some cereal and fruit :( didn't even get coffee/tea with it, and when I rang down I was told that's because we had coffee on our trays in the room...again very disappointing, when paying this much for a nights stay you do expect a certain standard, and unfortunately the MalMaison didn't live up to expectations...on a positive note, the hotel is in a good location, and has free parking, the bus stop into Edinburgh is right up the street and £3.50 for a day pass, also there are some really lovely restaurants in the area...... the shower was wonderful, although I had to leave a note for housekeeping to replace our toiletries, as they didn't do it the first day. the cutlery and crockery was chipped and bent etc, so although the suite was lovely, the place on the whole is a let down, and we doubt we'd stay with this chain again.

Room Tip: We stayed in suite 120, was nice with a lovely view of the quayside, and very clean...praise goes to...
1  Thank Elizabeth C
Reviewed 12 May 2014

After using the trusty mal to stay in if there is one in the city I'm visiting, I'm never disappointed, but after the 1 night stay using the Sunday supplement offer I was.

The greeting wasn't as usual, empty reception, then the check in was slow and then the room was sadly grubby, the bathroom was smelly and there was a dead wasp stuck in the lighting, after trying to call reception there was no answer, however dinner was lovely service by waiting staff was great.
Room was very noisy through the night , sleep quality was poor.

However area is lovely, and the bars and restaurants are fantastic.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Good service - the staff were friendly and met any needs we had during our stay. The location of the hotel is lovely, and free parking at the hotel was a plus! Delicious food on the evening, and a comfortable nights sleep! All in all a very enjoyable stay - will definitely come again!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple