“Very disappointing experience”

Ranked #92 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
United Kingdom
“Very disappointing experience”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband had booked us into this hotel as it is in walking distance to The Kitchin restaurant. First thing we notices was, that in the time span from asking for the car park to check in, the receptionist could not remember my husband's face. Our room was on the 2nd floor, had a bleak view out of the window, no air con and the furniture looked more than tired. I do not expect chipped wood everywhere. The bathroom floor was not very clean either and i was not impressed with the toiletries. The breakfast and service also left a lot to be desired. We mentioned all the foregoing points on checking out and were told, that the hotel is undergoing a refurbishment. Well that was never mentioned during booking and check in.

We live in the Midlands and on the journey up to Scotland we stayed in a Budget hotel, which for its price, was miles better.

i know, that what I am going to say might not be fair but I will not stay at any Malmaison Hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bibibear

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My boyfriend picked this and it looked good on paper. The greeting was only lukewarm and the whole inside decor was a bit scruffy, looked like it could do with a bit of work. The room was dark, very quiet and very comfortable. Great sleep and nice and clean. Only thing was the extra journey from the city, it's a bit of a way out for me to be perfect. Would probably stay closer to the center next time.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maria J
Leeds
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two nights with my wife and 4 month old in room 415. I think we were upgraded to a superior room as it was large and there was a separate dressing area which was useful. It was however very dark with one small window. The decor was tired and carpets required replacing, with gripper rods sticking through them and hurting your feet. The bathroom was no better than a premier inn, nothing at all special about it. The holders for the cotton buds and face pads in the bathroom were cardboard and had obviously been reused many times. Loo roll was cheap. No robes or slippers. The curtains were also hanging off. The room was clean and large and we enjoyed our time in Leith, but Malmaison really need to try harder; painting the walls dark grey might have made it a boutique hotel 10 years ago, but not now. There was just nothing at all special about the hotel for £134 per night room only.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank TravLux
harrogate, yorkshire
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Some of the recent reviews of this hotel had made us quite nervous however we have been pleasantly surprised. Stayed for just one night in a superior twin room which was spacious with 2 double beds (quite hard mattresses) and a sitting area; everything was very clean and tidy. Most notable was the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff who have been much criticised on trip advisor. We were a little early and our room wasn't ready but the staff arranged a room for us so my daughter could change for an interview she was due to attend in Edinburgh. Edinburgh city centre is an easy 5 minute drive away and there are plenty of restaurants nearby - we went to Guillianos Italian which was decent food at a reasonable price. Continental breakfast included in the room rate was good but not exceptional. Overall a good option for a short break in Edinburgh - we would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Barry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed hear on a business trip to Edinburgh and found it a great place to stay. Rooms were rather quaint and were well stocked with tea/coffee and a mini bar. We didn't have dinner in the hotel restaurant as it was pretty pricey, but there were loads of pubs/restaurants near by.
Breakfast was hot with a good choice, although it did take a while to come.
Will definitely use again if need be.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had a great time - al fresco eating, quiet location, convenient for visiting Britannia.

Spacious room - fridge to chill a bottle to down on return from sightseeing.

Beware its not close to the city but you could use the hop on hop off tourist bus to travel in to see other sights. Plenty of car parking available. .

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Yes, this absolutely loveable character from the well-known and much loved old British series was my first thought after my dining experience in Malmaison. Wondering if tripadvisor existed back in Mr Fawlty’s time, what kind of feedback he would have received.
Having been reading all the negative tripadvisor reviews about this place prior our arrival (and ignoring all the positive ones – oh what a typical human behaviour!) I prepared myself for an enjoyable but average visit.
How wrong I was – and I am old enough now to admit it. Arriving at a nicely busy restaurant was just the beginning. We were promptly greeted and shown to a table. Menu seemed interesting enough and reasonably priced. The usual ceremony followed: water, drinks, order taken and starters arrived.
I really appreciated the presentation and flavour combination of the goats cheese salad… elegant and traditional, nothing like building all the dozens of ingredients up like the Eifel tower – what you get in many places now days. As a main course I picked the chef’s special – seafood trio. Absolutely delicious and creative.
I am not an easy person to win, but I have to say, it was really a memorable experience. The friendliness and efficiency of the team on the night, the delicious food and the whole ambience… they all made this occasion an immaculate one.
I cannot stop thinking about all those (not too many though) negative reviews I read and made me think about other guests, how they could have experienced such a different dine out. Or maybe it is not the place, just the people. Or the weather, the moon, the stars… who knows.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple