2,244 results
All reviews city centre leith docks ocean terminal mini bar superior room continental breakfast an upgrade the royal yacht britannia bars and restaurants club room lovely hotel hotel is situated stayed for one night a lovely stay lovely room comfy bed princes street
Reviewed 13 October 2018 via mobile

I booked the hotel for my boyfriends birthday. I booked the Friday mix it up deal which looked like great value for money. I would say the only plus was the parking. We arrived and the reception staff were pleasant enough and checked us in. I decided to upgrade to a mal room with it being a special occasion. The room was big, I don’t think I could say much more. The bed was comfy enough. The bathroom was disappointing. It was only fashioned and the grout on the tiles was black and scuffs on the bath front and door. The room was clean enough but just all in all disappointing for a prestigious hotel. There was nothing wow about it. We went for dinner and with the deal we got a 3 course meal. The choice of food was poor. We opted for the chicken. It came with cabbage and garlic butter so we had to pay extra for a side of chips. It was an unusual combination and nit enjoyable. It certainly was not up to the standards of what I expected. My boyfriend left most of his meal. The waiter collected our plates and didn’t ask how our meal was or we would have explained our disappointment. At the end of the meal we got the bill and notice a £6.95 service charge which I feel is ridiculous considering it was a package deal. We decided to go for a drink in the bar. Again, the prices were ridiculous- £6 for a cider??? We went to a wee pub up the street and got 2 drinks for £6. It’s daylight robbery! The mini bar I. The room is also extremely over priced. £5 for crisps! We checked out and weren’t asked how our stay was. An over all poor experience for the price paid. This would defiantly put me off staying at any of the malmaison hotels in the future.

1  Thank Stephaniejmcgowan
Reviewed 11 October 2018 via mobile

Rooms not what I would have hoped from such a prestigious hotel...bathroom dated and windows didn’t close properly. Maintenance on the lifts disturbed our sleep as room right next to it...did complain but not even an apology unfortunately. Breakfast for the price was average. Staff impatient and not friendly. I never write a review so shows how strongly I feel....would not return

Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Ambassador232442
Stewart C, General Manager at Malmaison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2018

Dear Ambassador232442

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am sad to read that you have experienced a less than perfect stay with us. I will be discussing your comments at length with my team in order for us to improve so that we continue to deliver our usual very high standards. Please accept my personal apologies for the inconvenienced caused and also my thanks for bringing the matters to my attention.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your feedback in person, however I cannot locate your booking through your Trip Advisor profile name and I ask that you contact me at reception.edinburgh@malmaison.com

I truly hope to welcome you back again in the future and we can speak soon.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 5 October 2018 via mobile

Less than average & showing its age.

A cool shower turns scalding hot in seconds. Just putting up a stupid warning notice about very hot water will not stop them getting sued, since they’ve admitted to the problem of duff thermostats and water that’s too hot.

Labelling the shampoo as “the best you will ever steal” is so tacky and god knows who would want to steal that!

Don’t bother with breakfast, go to the excellent ‘Toast’ just along the road.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Y2716UPdavidb
Reviewed 4 October 2018 via mobile

We went to Edinburgh last minute and hour a fantastic deal at Malmaison. The hotel is in a beautiful old building but the room we had was modern and pristine. There was plenty of space for us and our dog and they even provided a dog basket, blanket and dog bowl.
The staff were so friendly and helpful and dogs were definitely welcome.
We ate the brasserie menu fixed price meal in the bar, as dogs aren't allowed in the main restaurant. The food was delicious and the service was excellent.
We can't wait to have another excuse to go back to Edinburgh. Thank you so much.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Stewart C, General Manager at Malmaison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2018

Dear suerobertson0

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful 5* review of Malmaison Edinburgh.

I am delighted to read just how much you enjoyed your recent stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 4 October 2018 via mobile

We chose to stay here primarily for its location being close to where we needed to be and the fact it had a car park. My first impressions were of a very elegant building but the inside is filled with emblazoned purple logos of the brand reminiscent of a Premier Inn. The room itself was very small and there were significant signs of ageing...black mould in the shower etc.

PROS:
Good location for Leith
Nice bar and brasserie
Free carpark

CONS:
Poor value
Dated rooms
Cramped

Dear Peter P

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of Malmaison Edinburgh.

I am pleased to read that there were may aspects of your stay that you did enjoy in particular our fantastic location on The Shore in Leith, our complimentary for guests car park and also our lovely bar and brasserie. Thank you also for highlighting that the bathroom on your room needs some attention. I will ensure my maintenance team have this fixed today.

Thanks again and I truly hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Kind regards,