“Aviod.”
Review of Oxford Bar

Oxford Bar
Ranked #33 of 213 Nightlife in Edinburgh
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

Reading other comments on Tripadvisor led me to pay a visit to this pub, Tuesday evening, 10 Dec. Wished I'd not bothered.
Clearly I'd picked the wrong night to be a tourist. I don't expect to be on first name terms with either the bar staff or locals as soon as I walk into a bar but a bit of civility would go a long way to making this a more pleasant pub. Then again, maybe that's how the locals want it, to stay THEIR local.

By all means, if you're a Rebus fan, call for one drink, (if you can get too the bar), then do yourself a favour, walk down the road to the Cambridge Bar, decent food, welcoming bar staff, better cliental, better atmosphere.

4  Thank SeenIt9

Reviewed 10 December 2013

We visited on a Friday evening. The place was packed but people made room for us to sit down. Beer is good & they make a great G&T. We first sought it out because we are great fans of Ian Rankin's Rebus novels. It didn't disappoint. Lovely warm fire & warm welcome by other customers.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

We were staying in Edinburgh with friends and took them to The Oxford for a pre-meal drink. We were certainly made to feel welcome by the locals and the bar staff!
We sat in the room at the side with a lovely roaring fire, perfect on a cold October late afternoon. The men were certainly pleased with the selection of beers and we ladies enjoyed the wine.
Prices were reasonable for Edinburgh.
The bar staff gave us postcards and bookmarks telling us about The Oxford and the links with Ian Rankin are clear to see.
Well worth a detour to pop in here.

Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

I didn't know what to expect: tourist trap?, self-aware literary haunt?, a place that makes visitors feel unwelcome? The Oxford is none of those. It's a genuinely friendly local where you can get a decent pint and a wee dram, and have a natter with the barman and whichever of the eclectic range of regulars happens to be in at the time. If that's what you're after, then go on in, join in and you'll be taken for a friend.

Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Specifically looked for this pub as my guide book listed it as one of Edinburgh's top 3 traditional real ale pubs. Experienced a frosty welcome on arrival. The bar was packed full of locals who seemed to be 'inconvenienced' by the arrival of visitors. Most were not prepared to move an inch to let us get to the bar to order a drink. I found myself apologising as I felt I was in the way, and my apology was met with a stoney glare. We went into the back room as we felt so unwelcome in the bar, where we found other non-locals hanging out. The back room is stark, neglected and uninviting. Have to say the beer was great, but felt so unwelcome that we swiftly drank up and moved on.

6  Thank CrystalTips42