“fantastic hotel!!”

Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh Airport
Ranked #87 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 16 February 2014

we were greeted with a very friendly welcome by Jamie, he was courteous and made us feel very much at home, the room was lovely and had all you need for a comfortable stay, the food was excellent and the menu had something for everyone. Another person working at the hotel apart from the staff in general including the cleaners, worth a mention is Andrew Dunnett, he in my opinion went beyond good customer service, he at one point changed a tyre for a customer, his knowledge of transport, area and things to do was outstanding, We have booked to stay again in March and would definitely recommend this Hotel to everyone. Thank you to all at this hotel for a great stay.

Room Tip: rooms overlooking court yard quieter, if you like watching the planes taking off/ arriving ask for a...
1  Thank wishartmull

Reviewed 14 February 2014

I booked this hotel initially as the Quality hotel and then received an email advising me of the change which I had no problem with as have stayed at many hotels in the Holiday Inn Express chain with great satisfaction, unfortunately this only partly lived up to the chain's usual standards.

My first problem came when I found I had been charged prior to my stay for the room even though I had booked a pay on departure deal. After a phonecall with Booking.Com I spoke to a manager at the hotel who explained there had been an error when switching onto the new system and we had been mistakenly charged. The manager did offer to refund us but as it was only a few weeks away I decided to leave it as it was and the manager emailed a receipt. I was more than happy with this at the time but with hindsight wished I had reverted back to the pay on departure and shall explain why later.

First impressions on arriving at the hotel close to midnight was that the service was great, other than the computer told the gentleman checking us in that we had not paid, but after explaining the situation he could see that indeed we actually had. We were given a spotlessly clean and comfortable room (albeit slightly cold), and as we had ran out of toothpaste reception kindly supplied us with complementary toothpaste and brush. So all in all when we went to bed we were more than happy with the hotel, but unfortunately this didn't last.

At 8am we were awoken by the sound of hammers, drills and saws from the room directly beneath us, it was impossible to sleep through so we decided we would get up, have breakfast and checkout early despite booking the hotel so we could have a lie in after a late flight. The shower was powerful but unfortunately kept alternating between cold and hot dispite me not actually touching the temperature control. Then we had breakfast - the sausages were rather cheap and undercooked, the fruit juice watered down but my favourite was the pain du chocolate which was overheated and was like a brick.

So after our morning wake up call I expressed my dissatisfaction to the receptionist who was polite and professional in dealing with my complaint, unfortunately as I had pre- paid he couldn't offer me a discount there and then and his manager would have to authorise us a part refund ( would have been easier had we just reverted back originally to a pay on departure). Anyway I was happy enough with this plan and the receptionist advised us we would receive a call or an email later that day to confirm everything had been processed. 5 hrs later I had heard nothing so called the hotel and was advised that the manager had refunded us 30% but we had not been notified awesome customer communication skills by the manager on duty who didn't speak to me but again passed the message through the ever professional member of reception staff.

Thank you for the discount but despite this I doubt we will ever return to this hotel.

2  Thank hlrUk
QualityHotelGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear hlrUk

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to read of the issues you experienced although grateful you communicated them with us so that we can improve.

We do still have some construction occurring after 9am daily (not 8am) and this should have been communicated to you upon arrival.

Thank you for the positive comments regarding your guest room. And we hope you change your mind and return for a future visit.

Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Excellent, helpful staff, nicely decorated rooms, comfy beds. airport noise is not a problem despite its close proximity. Good bus links to Edinburgh. I am looking to spend a couple of days at the Edinburgh fringe so will probably return in August as the city hotels hike their prices.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Nick187047
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Spent a night here after our holiday the rooms are lovely and new and the bed was very comfortable,also the bathroom new as well had a lovely shower but went hot and cold on it's own which was not very pleasant.We found the room to be noisy could hear next door talking,the worst part of our night was the restaurant.The menu choices were 3 starters-all £5.95 (mushroom soup) Then i had the steak-£19.95 it was tasteless and the veg also no taste(£3 for the veg) My husband had Beef casserole and could not eat it as it was so tough and dried up (£13.95) also a cheap bottle of Italian wine cost us £19.95-that bad we only drank half.Prices are very expensive considering you have to order and pay at the bar,and help your self to cutlery,even the salt and pepper.A shame because the staff were nice.

2  Thank Brenda A
QualityHotelGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear Brenda A

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to read of the poor food quality you experienced. The beef casserole (£10.95) and the entire menu/service delivery are new to us and we working on strategies to improve. It will improve.

Thank you for mentioning the shower temperature – we’ll look at this issue immediately.
We appreciate the positive comments about our brand new rooms and the team.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

We stayed here after as our flight landed late evening. The room was bright, bed comfortable and tea and coffee facilities were available in the room. However, only decaf coffee (yuk) and only 2 sachets of coffee and 4 little milks.

The bin in the bathroom hadn't been emptied, someone's' tooth brush and tooth paste were still in there! and only one bath towel was available in the room!

Breakfast.... a choice of sausage, scrambled egg and beans or cereal. No vegi option, and my partner was looking forward to bacon and fried egg!! However, there were no sausages when we arrived for breakfast at 8am, however, they did arrive at 8.40am!.

2  Thank Wendy p

Dear Wendy p

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to read that the room wasn't quite ready for your arrival – this is not acceptable.

Our Free Express Start breakfast is a Holiday Inn Express standard. There is no reason the sausages should have taken 40 minutes to replenish. We’ll keep a better eye on our buffet items. In the future if you have a specific dietary request, just email/call the hotel in advance of your arrival and we’ll sort for you.

My kind regards

Reviewed 2 February 2014

i use this hotel for business and was delighted to see they have changed to holiday Inn Express as this is a brand I would use at other airport locations. You can clearly see that money has been spent in this property as the new rooms are fantastic and the new lobby area is perfect for working and a bite to eat.
I have always found the staff excellent and the proximity to the airport and car parking is excellent

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank londonderryamoc
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We stayed on 25/01/14 we had booked for the Quality Inn only to discover it had been taken over the night before we were staying so had not option but to go an e mail informing customers of the change would have been appreciated. The room was ok clean and new furniture but very poor soundproofing could hear noise all during the night from all over the floor not just rooms next door. The restaurant was a disaster when we checked in we had to ask if the deal we had booked ( 3 course meal in what was a higher quality restaurant ) informed just to tell the staff when ordering food.Only problem was no one knew how the deal was to be implemented and that you had to order all 3 courses at once you are unable to choose your dessert after eating your main course. Turns out they had decided that each couple had £50 to spend on food but they did not tell us that . After ordering a starter and a main course each, discovered the rule about having to order 3 courses at the same time . The duty manager eventually said we could order a dessert and he would do the order manually and come and get our order.After finishing main course waited and eventually went to the bar he grudgingly ordered our desserts which we bought tea to have with. Finished our tea sat at least 35 minutes with no sign of desert so left and went back to our room without dessert, approx 10 minutes later our room phone went and then again a few minutes later I presume it was the duty manager as we had had enough and decided not to answer the phone. Total chaos and not even busy. Reception staff were pleasant but again clueless. Would pay the extra and stay at the Hilton next time as we have previously done.Very poor for such a large chain.

Room Tip: pick another hotel !
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank couple372
QualityHotelGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear couple372

Thank you for the review – and please accept our sincere apologies for the confusion regarding your dinner package.

While we are still in the midst of change, there is no excuse why we failed you on this occasion.
We are working towards making our guests’ stay more seamless so that you can enjoy your stay and leave feeling refreshed. We will get there and we are focused through this period of major change.