Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh Airport
Ranked #87 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Stayed here a couple of days ago before our flight out to the USA. I booked ths deal months ago when it was the Quality hotel but had no concerns when it changed hands
as have used Holiday inn many times before. Friendly warm welcome, comfortable refurbished rooms and we were not disturbed by any noise. Loved the shower, could have taken that home! We had an early flight so the continental breakfast from 4am was great (cooked available from 630am) Easy bus to the terminal for £1.50 return.

A few negatives though! Food menu pretty pricey so we nipped out to eat. The carpark could do with resurfacing. The free wifi was a nightmare, rubbish signal in our room so was unusable.

Other than that, I would stay here again without a doubt

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scotsman2011

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Great place to rest up before you head abroad for your hols. Staff very friendly and obliging no job was an effort for them. Very comfy bed you get a great nights sleep. Shuttle bus to airport arrives at front doors every 10-15 mins. no excuse to miss your flight.

1  Thank Robincal
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We were at the back at the end of a corridor and heard no planes. We had to get up at 430am.so we probably made noise moving about. The hotel is geared for early flights and continental breakfast was available from 4am. Cooked breakfast later. I had booked on changeover day and had given details about our car for the hotel parking but it did not appear on the booking system. Check your letter of confimation for this. The shuttle bus was available early morning and easy at stance 10 coming home. Cost £1.50 return. Check all booking sites for this hotel as there was quite a difference in charges from talking to guests at early morning breakfast.

Room Tip: Room at the back was quiet.
1  Thank McdonaldsLinlithgow
QualityHotelGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear McdonaldsLinlithgow

Thank you for your review and for the comments. I am sorry to read there was a reservation's error although I am sure it was sorted upon arrival.

As you mentioned, we do specialize on early departures (or late arrivals) and we have great value Park Stay and Fly packages available on our web site where you'll always find our best rate guaranteed.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

we were greeted with a very friendly welcome by Jamie, he was courteous and made us feel very much at home, the room was lovely and had all you need for a comfortable stay, the food was excellent and the menu had something for everyone. Another person working at the hotel apart from the staff in general including the cleaners, worth a mention is Andrew Dunnett, he in my opinion went beyond good customer service, he at one point changed a tyre for a customer, his knowledge of transport, area and things to do was outstanding, We have booked to stay again in March and would definitely recommend this Hotel to everyone. Thank you to all at this hotel for a great stay.

Room Tip: rooms overlooking court yard quieter, if you like watching the planes taking off/ arriving ask for a...
1  Thank wishartmull
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I booked this hotel initially as the Quality hotel and then received an email advising me of the change which I had no problem with as have stayed at many hotels in the Holiday Inn Express chain with great satisfaction, unfortunately this only partly lived up to the chain's usual standards.

My first problem came when I found I had been charged prior to my stay for the room even though I had booked a pay on departure deal. After a phonecall with Booking.Com I spoke to a manager at the hotel who explained there had been an error when switching onto the new system and we had been mistakenly charged. The manager did offer to refund us but as it was only a few weeks away I decided to leave it as it was and the manager emailed a receipt. I was more than happy with this at the time but with hindsight wished I had reverted back to the pay on departure and shall explain why later.

First impressions on arriving at the hotel close to midnight was that the service was great, other than the computer told the gentleman checking us in that we had not paid, but after explaining the situation he could see that indeed we actually had. We were given a spotlessly clean and comfortable room (albeit slightly cold), and as we had ran out of toothpaste reception kindly supplied us with complementary toothpaste and brush. So all in all when we went to bed we were more than happy with the hotel, but unfortunately this didn't last.

At 8am we were awoken by the sound of hammers, drills and saws from the room directly beneath us, it was impossible to sleep through so we decided we would get up, have breakfast and checkout early despite booking the hotel so we could have a lie in after a late flight. The shower was powerful but unfortunately kept alternating between cold and hot dispite me not actually touching the temperature control. Then we had breakfast - the sausages were rather cheap and undercooked, the fruit juice watered down but my favourite was the pain du chocolate which was overheated and was like a brick.

So after our morning wake up call I expressed my dissatisfaction to the receptionist who was polite and professional in dealing with my complaint, unfortunately as I had pre- paid he couldn't offer me a discount there and then and his manager would have to authorise us a part refund ( would have been easier had we just reverted back originally to a pay on departure). Anyway I was happy enough with this plan and the receptionist advised us we would receive a call or an email later that day to confirm everything had been processed. 5 hrs later I had heard nothing so called the hotel and was advised that the manager had refunded us 30% but we had not been notified awesome customer communication skills by the manager on duty who didn't speak to me but again passed the message through the ever professional member of reception staff.

Thank you for the discount but despite this I doubt we will ever return to this hotel.

2  Thank hlrUk
QualityHotelGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear hlrUk

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to read of the issues you experienced although grateful you communicated them with us so that we can improve.

We do still have some construction occurring after 9am daily (not 8am) and this should have been communicated to you upon arrival.

Thank you for the positive comments regarding your guest room. And we hope you change your mind and return for a future visit.

Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Excellent, helpful staff, nicely decorated rooms, comfy beds. airport noise is not a problem despite its close proximity. Good bus links to Edinburgh. I am looking to spend a couple of days at the Edinburgh fringe so will probably return in August as the city hotels hike their prices.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Nick187047
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Spent a night here after our holiday the rooms are lovely and new and the bed was very comfortable,also the bathroom new as well had a lovely shower but went hot and cold on it's own which was not very pleasant.We found the room to be noisy could hear next door talking,the worst part of our night was the restaurant.The menu choices were 3 starters-all £5.95 (mushroom soup) Then i had the steak-£19.95 it was tasteless and the veg also no taste(£3 for the veg) My husband had Beef casserole and could not eat it as it was so tough and dried up (£13.95) also a cheap bottle of Italian wine cost us £19.95-that bad we only drank half.Prices are very expensive considering you have to order and pay at the bar,and help your self to cutlery,even the salt and pepper.A shame because the staff were nice.

2  Thank Brenda A
QualityHotelGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear Brenda A

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to read of the poor food quality you experienced. The beef casserole (£10.95) and the entire menu/service delivery are new to us and we working on strategies to improve. It will improve.

Thank you for mentioning the shower temperature – we’ll look at this issue immediately.
We appreciate the positive comments about our brand new rooms and the team.