“Good start.”

Ranked #79 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Good start.”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

by travelling up the night before flying you gain another few hours on holiday. Check in was very efficient and the bus to airport in morning was easy. The hotel was very clean and spotless. I know it is just being refurbished so lets hope they can keep up the standard as it is now. We had bar meal at night, a bit expensive, but good. Breakfast started at 4.00 am, when we went down at 4.30 they were still cleaning tea/coffee machine and there was not any hot food available. Would certainly use again and would also recommend to friends.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Irene F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Greek first
UK
Reviewed 2 March 2014

This hotel has recently had a refurbishment. On arrival the staff were all polite and welcoming, the room was of very good order and clean. TV ... WIFI .. and tea, coffee all supplied free.

The meal in the bar area was of a high standard, and once again the staff efficient.

Checkout was easy and the General Manager a real star helping with a flight problem we had.

I would recommend staying here if flying out early, breakfast served from 4am.

The only small downside was the room was noisy with buses and aircraft from early AM.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank shamus67
Stromness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

This is a stones throw from the airport, with a good shuttle bus service between the two. I found the reception and dining area combined quite welcoming when entering the hotel, and seem to be very well maintained. I was more than satisfied with my room, everything was in good order, and bathroom was spotless . I was in room 151 I could see the runway from my room but noise wasn't a problem having slept with my window open, however at about 5 o'clock I was woken up with the sounds of the bin lorry doing his morning collections right out my window. The only down side was the internet signal very very poor in those rooms at the side, signal in the main reception was good however it is free. I was bit disappointed with the evening meal, not that was anything wrong with the food, ordering fish as I usually do, never realising it was cod, , as I do prefer haddock.
Breakfast was fair, not a missive choice to choose between but it was ok, If I was flying on holiday from Edinburgh in the near future I would definitely stay at the express inn again.

Room Tip: If your internet dependent ask which is the best room for the internet signal
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank saltybobful
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Ok, so I am normally a bit of a snob when it comes to hotels and when my partner booked this hotel as an overnight as part of a short break I have to admit I was disappointed. I was wrong! I remember this when it was the old Quality Hotel and quality wasn't a name you could have associated with either the building or the staff, it's changed beyond recognition.

Stayed in room 104, fresh decor overlooking the front, spotlessly clean, warm and the comfiest bed since home. Staff were very friendly and accommodating, nothing was a problem (even if they did cash up before 11pm, so room charge only thereafter). Bonus was the parking whilst away, this along with the regular chatty drivers mean this has put Edinburgh Airport back on the map for us when travelling.

In summary, change is not the word when it comes to this one, well done to the team there!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paul S
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We've used this hotel several times but the last time, when it was called "Quality Hotel", we felt it was beginning to feel uncared for and tatty.

When looking for an overnight stay near the airport with holiday parking we noticed it is now a Holiday Inn Express. As we've always had good experiences with this brand we booked once again and were not disappointed.

Our room was clean, comfortable and the new bathroom was excellent, much nicer than one would expect in a budget hotel.

The whole of the reception and bar has been completely revamped and is much fresher and welcoming. The staff were very helpful, especially when it was discovered I'd booked the wrong date and sorted us out a new booking.

Thankfully they still offer the excellent value overnight stay with holiday parking packages, we will definitely use next time we fly from Edinburgh.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JohnBeds
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Terrible nights sleep, I couldn't hear the planes but the rooms are very poorly insulated internally. You can hear every whisper, bang of door, cough, lift movement and it goes on throughout the night/early hours of the morning due to different flight times - it was never quiet!

The hot breakfast wasn't anything special either, scrambled egg, sausage and beans which seemed somewhat limited. The continental breakfast was slightly better.

The room was clean, large and nicely decorated.

I wouldn't stay here again nor recommend unfortunately.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nairn-ia
QualityHotelGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh Airport, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Nairn-ia

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to read you had a disturbed stay. As we are an 'airport' hotel specializing in late arrivals and early starts, we do ask our guests to be conscious of noise for everyone's comfort.

Our Express start breakfast is offered FREE to all our guests and is a Holiday Inn Express standard. Continental is offered from 430am and hot food from 630am each day.

Thank you for the positive comments on the room and we are disappointed you wont be back.

Regards
Jason Dombrower
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here a couple of days ago before our flight out to the USA. I booked ths deal months ago when it was the Quality hotel but had no concerns when it changed hands
as have used Holiday inn many times before. Friendly warm welcome, comfortable refurbished rooms and we were not disturbed by any noise. Loved the shower, could have taken that home! We had an early flight so the continental breakfast from 4am was great (cooked available from 630am) Easy bus to the terminal for £1.50 return.

A few negatives though! Food menu pretty pricey so we nipped out to eat. The carpark could do with resurfacing. The free wifi was a nightmare, rubbish signal in our room so was unusable.

Other than that, I would stay here again without a doubt

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple