“Ideal for an overnight stay before an early flight”

Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh Airport
Ranked #93 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We always stay here if we have an early morning flight. We leave our car here and there are plenty of buses to the airport. Everywhere is clean and our room was comfortable. I liked the choice of pillows. Dinner was nicely cooked and the staff pleasant. I have no complaints and will certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: I'm sure any room would be fine as the hotel is quiet for an airport hotel. No aeroplanes at nig...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank morageckford

Reviewed 22 May 2014

My wife and I selected the hotel purely for its location, somewhere to stay the night before flying back to Germany. The position was very good, although I object having to pay two pounds each to be carried the short distance to the airport and then having to walk the last 200 metres to the airport building. The room (102) was very large, with extra beds if required. The downside of the hotel, however, is the very poor sound insulation between rooms and the outside. Dinner was very average, the service was slow and the price of drinks was exorbitant - nearly three times the price I would pay for the same beer or glass of wine in Germany. Would we stay there again? A definite NO.

Room Tip: Ask for room 102.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Maioha
HIxEdiAirportGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear Maioha

Thank you for your review. As you mention we sit right at Edinburgh Airport so a perfect hotel to stay for early departures or late arrivals.

I am sorry to read you experienced a noise issue and that you felt our drinks were overpriced. We do constantly ensure we are the cheapest priced alternative in the area. It’s hard to compare us to prices in Germany though.

Shame you wouldn't stay again but in case you change your mind, we are here to serve.

Kind regards

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Booked directly through the HIE website as they seemed to have the only way to be able to book the overnight accomodation and parking package. But we couldnt book the accomodation, parking and the meal deal package. It seems you can only have one or the other.
Check in was painless, quick and we had our room keys within a minute.
Last time we stayed in the hotel was when it was the Quality Hotel, but the improvements by HIE were obvious. The room refurbishments were still fresh and new and the layout of the room was as I have encountered all over with HIEs in the UK.
The bathroom had a very big shower cubicle and spotlessly clean.
At the last minute, my brother decided to join us at the hotel but no rooms were available.  We had a sofa bed in our room so we paid £25 and got linen sorted out and spare towels, additional coffees and teas etc.
Went to restaurant section for meal at night.  One thing I remember staying here when it was the Quality Hotel was the fantastic restaurant, the La A'berge (or something like that).  The meals were always fantastic, but so too was their bar food. So a hard act for the HIE to follow.
The place was really busy but due to a sympathetic waiter we got our food order in early ahead of a very large group. So our waiting time was not that bad. We had fish n chips, cheese burger and a beef stew. That was about the most adventureous dishes on the menu....so it was standard eat-and-go HIE fast food menu unfortunately.  My burger was tasty but dry as it was overcooked. The stew was good but the fish was on the greasy side. We oredered sticky toffee puddings - but they had run out of them.

Up early for a flight and had the continental breakfast which was included in our room price.
A good 20 minute walk to the terminal or a  return journey £2.50  by shuttle, prepaid at reception.
Overall a great accomodation improvement over the former franchise owner.

Room Tip: I don't know how many rooms have been upgraded, but ours was on the 1st floor and it was brand n...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nigel R
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel when it was Quality Hotel but thought might have improved now a Holiday Inn Express. On booking told no charge for dogs (staying to attend a dog show at Royal Highland Showground). Receptionist on arrival reported no charge for dogs, within 10 minutes a manager told us to pay £25 per dog (had two dogs) and they had to stay in crates throughout stay. Did not have crates so he offered to sell us two at £50 each, another guest kindly lent us two for nothing. Having been told no charge for dogs shocked at £50 charge, and the potential additional £100 for two crates we would have needed for just one night (have crates at home so would not have needed these again). Later heard manager telling other guests that normally "security on doors" to stop dogs entering hotel. Will not be attending show in August as cannot afford hotel dog costs on top of £60+ show entry, fuels and hotel room.

Generally hotel very noisy, very hot, food over cooked, smoking area at main entrance dirty with cups left on smoking bins not being cleared away

Room Tip: Stay in city centre or different location
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear fluffus t

Thank you for the review.

We do love our dog show weekends. It is great to see the same guests come back show after show. And we really appreciate all the kind comments we've received from the majority of our guests over this past weekend.

It’s a difficult decision for any hotel to decide whether or not to allow (non-guide) dogs in the guest rooms. But from the owner of the hotel, to most of the staff in the hotel, we really all love dogs. It would be an easy decision to just not allow dogs at all but we appreciate our dog show guests like having their dogs in their room.

We do our best to try to balance accommodating dogs and people during those dog show periods so that all our guests are comfortable and not disturbed. As stated on our Website, and communicated when guests ask on the phone, our pet policy is simply: 1 pet per room (to limit the noise), charged at £25 per stay (not per night – so that we can deep clean the room afterwards so the next guest doesn't have any issues) and the pet must be in a crate when in the room (to limit noise). We do not sell crates – we are a people hotel who allow dogs. I suppose someone from the show was offering crates? And we've never had security on the door for a dog show – that is a bit over the top!

fluffus t thank you for the comments. It was a very busy weekend and we need to do better and ensuring cleanliness is kept up continuously.

Regards

Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed three different times during the period 7-19 May, and found the rooms were a good size and had everything you'd expect accept the hallways were very noisy you could hear everyone's conversations. On two breakfast periods there was either construction in the hallway by the dining room or there was someone vacuuming. The hotel also allows dogs to stay in rooms and so that also was a shock, especially since I have allergies to many dogs, again you could hear dogs in the hallway and barking. I had a rather unpleasant encounter with the manager, regarding the dog issue and my own needs and found him unable or unwilling to guarantee a dog would not be in the room on either side of ours. The hotel has obviously recently changed hands and perhaps there are still bumps to be ironed out, the check-in and check-out process was very slow. Rooms have no means of controlling heat, so when it was warm outside it was hot in the room, the only option open a window and then there was the airplane noise.

Room Tip: Rooms in the low numbers are closer to the end of runway and are loudest, they are also close to ele...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ian R
HIxEdiAirportGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Ian R

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to read you had a disturb stay. It’s true we are in the final week of renovations (after 12 long months!). Construction noise is gone forever and no one is happier than us.

A couple times a year this area is fortunate to have a dog show at the local Highland Society grounds. We know not everyone has an affinity towards dogs and I hope your allergies were not too heavily impacted. We do ensure dogs are not allowed in the eating spaces and when in guest rooms they are in crates.

We do have fans for the few times a year they are needed - next time just ask reception. 10 degrees C and cloudy today.

Thank you for the feedback and we appreciate the patronage.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Stayed here for one night, really impressed with the rooms, great power shower and excellent dinner and breakfast. Unlike a lot of HI Express hotels, this one has a bar and a dinner menu, the steak was really nice.
Although very close to the runway, there are no night flights, so sleep quality was not impacted.
Would definitely stay here again when in the area.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms , not sure if all, have a skylight, so natural light is not as great as with a window...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I use a lot of hotels, averaging 8 nights per calendar month away from home, so when I am away, I expect to be receiving value for money. This hotel certainly ticks all the boxes:

1. Arrival: friendly staff on arrival. Two room keys given, so that the room's electricity supply can be left on for heating, charging phones etc.

2. Dinner: a small menu, but even the simple burger is clearly made on site. I liked in particular that, when asked for my room number to charge the cost to my room, I showed them the room card, rather than say my room number. This is security thing, as I am a single, female traveller. Unlike other hotels, the lass did not call out my room number to her colleague, but told him quietly. Considering the number of guests, the wait time was acceptable.

3. Room heating: I like a warm room and it is a pet hate of mine that so many hotels have centrally controlled heating. As I found out when talking to the Maintenance Manager the following day, they set their heating to 14 degrees centigrade. The room heaters have adjustable thermostatic controls, and because of the extra room key, it meant that I could be sure of a nice, warm room in the evening. The heating comes on again at 4am, so the room is, again, warm when you wake up.

4. Bathroom: Thank the gods for a decent shower! Again, because I feel the cold, having a good warm shower, and then a nice warm room were so nice at the end of the working day. Even better, the towel rail worked, so the following morning, my towels were dry.

5. Breakfast: Standard Holiday Inn Express fare. The addition of fruit eg apples, bananas might be good.

6. Bus service to the hotel: run by the car park people, but they will phone to arrange for the bus to collect passengers. Costs £2.50, but this is a standard rate. Driver was very helpful with my heavy bags.

Overall, the fact that the management of this hotel really cares about the feedback that they receive shows in their attitude, and consequently, in the attitude of their staff. Top tip if you are booking here is to use the hotel's own website, rather that Holiday Inn central reservations, as you will get very competitive rates that way. Yes, it is an airport hotel, and yes, there is noise from the planes, but that is to be expected. I have used airport hotels where there is a lot less attention to detail, because they are sure of the business. This hotel does not make that assumption, and because of that, I will be using them again when next in Edinburgh on business.

Room Tip: Room 100 is huge, but it does back on to the runway. Good if you have kids because they can watch th...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business