“So welcoming - I'll be back”

Emmaus House, Edinburgh SCIO
Ranked #49 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I stayed here on an introduction to meditation course. Janet, Jonathan and all who help to run it are so friendly and welcoming, the food is absolutely fabulous, and the room I stayed in was very comfortable.
It'll definately stay here again whenever I'm in Edinburgh.
Thank you Janet.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 20 January 2014

We spent three very comfortable nights at Emmaus House ...... spacious room (no. 3), with twin beds and ensuite; delicious meals, central location and – most important – the convivial company of Janet, Jonathan and friends. The reviews on this page are testament to their gift of hospitality. As others have said, there is the opportunity to reflect/meditate in the chapel or relax in the communal kitchen and well-stocked library-sitting room.

Room Tip: Would recommend room no.3, at the front of the house.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank margaret d
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I stayed here for 4 weeks and paid around 500 quid which is quite reasonable. It's actually a Christian Retreat Centre. I would like to thank Andrew and Jane for all their help. They serve a continental breakfast and other cereals, toast and fruits which is free.

Room Tip: The ensuite room on the 1st floor is quite nice and big.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I was recommended this residence by a Priest friend of mine. His opinion of the place was, in my opinion, Spot-On. I took a bus (100) from Edinburgh Airport to Waverly Station. From Princes St, which runs above Waverly Station on a map, I took a #10 to Gilmore Place. From the bus stop(Lochrin Bldgs), the sign for Emmaus House can be seen easily. I was warmly welcomed by Jonathan a member of the team at Emmaus House. The rest of the team. Janet, Andrew & Andrew I met later. I found them all very friendly. Even though this is a religious house as stated on their website, at no time was I made to feel I had to join in their morning or evening prayers. I did how ever join in as I found the wooden chapel in the back garden a most delightful place, warm even though it was cold & wet outside. Getting in to the city, is very easy as both the #27 & #10 bus routes operated by Lothian buses pass right outside. I spent 4 nights there, and as far as I am concerned I got excellent value for my money. A similar length stay in a hotel or another Bed & Breakfast would have cost me a LOT more as I would have had to A).Spend more than the £35 per night for my en-suite room and B). Spend more than the £7.50 my evening meal cost me eating out every night.

Room Tip: If you are a Mum & Dad with 2 kids, or 4 singles travelling together, the room I had at the fro...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Jeffrey S
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My mother, my two sisters and I stayed at Emmaus house the last week of October, 2013. I can not tell you how wonderful our stay was... But I'll try! The house is beautiful. The rooms are clean, super-clean. Oh, and the bed, amazingly comfortable! The location is tremendous. It is a short walk to all the best spots in Edinburgh: Edinburgh Castle, Grass Market, The Royal Mile, as well as being close in location to great shopping and restaurants. Janet and Jonathan are some of the sweetest people on Earth! They helped with everything from finding transportation for us to getting us more towels - their accents are just to die for (we're American). Also, you should really eat dinner in the House at least once, the food was FANTASTIC! We ate breakfast at Emmaus House almost every day of the week we stayed as well and it was delicious but the company was even better! We met lots of other travelers who told interesting stories - made even better my the beautiful accents. I went to one of the evening services, which were offered but never pressured, it was such a beautiful, peaceful end to the day. If you want a cozy, exceptional stay in Scotland at a very reasonable price, you've found your place at Emmaus House!

Room Tip: The whole house is gorgeous - the view out the front or back of the house are great for different re...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Monica T
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I spent over two weeks at Emmaus House in Edinburgh. I have stayed and compared it to other places in the city and absolutely nothing comes close to the value and hospitality you receive for the cost. It is in a great location for getting anywhere in the city and surrounding area. I literally hated to leave, they made me feel that comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank JSamuel63
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

Breakfast around a big table. A lovely sitting room and library that I hadn't time to use. Bus outside the door and plenty of corner shops. In the garden a small labyrinth and a wonderful wooden little building where a simple prayer meeting is held if you like. Oh...and good coffee!

• Stayed: October 2013