“Horrible to deal with, gave away our reservation!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
MacIntosh Guest House
Ranked #286 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Horrible to deal with, gave away our reservation!”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Long story short, this B&B seems to be very disorganized and their online booking is not a sure thing. Luckily I realized this before we stayed here. I have booked with MANY bed & breakfasts before and never had to deal with these issues. I booked a room online through their website after I had emailed Joanne and she responded saying she had NO ROOMS available. I emailed her a second time to notify her that I had a confirmation code and was able to book a room through her site and asked her to confirm that she had my booking. After FOUR more emails, I had not heard a thing. My husband called and she said that she "waited 5 days for me to respond to her"....me respond to her?! She also told him that she told me she had rooms available. She told me she had NO rooms available. She sounded confused and caught up in her own lies/confusion. If this is the type of service you get before you even walk in the door, then to me, it is NOT WORTH IT!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jkjetsetters
joanne L, Owner at MacIntosh Guest House, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
We are very sorry that this unfortunate situation has happened but we feel that the criticism is very unfair.
We waited 72 hours and despite sending out reminder emails never received the 50% deposit or credit card details to secure the booking.
Macintosh is a popular, friendly guesthouse and I really try my very best for our visitors- please see other reviews.
Joanne Liu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Excellent location and easy to find. Buses to Haymarket and Princes Street were every few minutes and the bus from Airport drops you at the door. The bedroom and dining room were clean and comfortable. Surprised not to be offered haggis for breakfast but what we were given was very nice.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Graham S
Dunboyne, Ireland
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I stayed in Macintosh Guest House last week-end. Joanne was extremely courteous and pleasant. She went beyond to call of duty to help her guests. The bedroom was extremely well kept and clean. The bed was really comfy.
The Scottish Breakfast was superb, I would highly recommend this guesthouse.

Joanne you're amazing

Phillip Ireland

Room Tip: Room 6 is where I stayed, it is clean and comfy. It is on the top floor
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Joanne is very kind and nice landlady, my girl and me were early without notify Joanne first, but she still welcome us check in early. The room was clean and smell very lovely throughout, as Joanne spoken Mandarin so as I and that was very special.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Fraserburgh
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I booked for one night to attend a rugby match and drove into Downie Grove not sure where the place was. I phoned and spoke to Joanne who not only guided me but came out to meet me. After showing me to my room, she then offered to run me down to Murrayfield in her car as I was running a little late! Thank you just did not go far enough.
Breakfast was a treat, sitting at a table in the bay window watching the Edinburgh traffic build up.
This guest house looks nothing special, but unlike others that look nothing special the welcome and accommodation and food were an absolute joy.
Thank yo uso very much Joanne - wonderful!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
MO
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Joanne is very nice, her breakfast tastes good and provide variety food , mushroom taste really different from the traditional one , we booked double room with 2 nights for 3 people, the room has 3 beds , one is double and the other two is single , its really fit for big family , the room is clean and comfortable even it is not luxury but it makes you feel pace and happy and the bathroom in the room is big and clean and has a special roof , and the house just locate beside the Edinburgh zoo and walk for one minute u can reach the bus stop that is really convenient.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends