The Royal Scots Club
US$169
HotelIndigo.com
US$678
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$106
US$236
US$212
Agoda.com
1,036 results
All reviewsqueen street gardensjacket and tiemembers clubfour posterwedding venuekippersprinces streetroom was largequiet streetcomfortable hotelfull scottish breakfastexcellent breakfastwithin easy walking distancelovely roomcentral edinburghenjoyable stayfew minutes walk
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I booked this hotel for a 2 night stay and got it at almost a 50% discount. Given this fact I think I would have been unhappy if I had paid full price.

Firstly we were given a lovely room overlooking Queen St gardens with one major problem, it absolutely reeked (Scots for smelled) of fresh paint. I asked to be moved to a similar room which was absolutely no prob but meant that we were effectively banished to the basement losing our lovely room with a view.

At breakfast I went for the full Scottish on the first morning and have to say it was below par. The black pud and sausage (1 of) were tough and chewy which indicates to me they were not fresh. It also took a while for us to be served and it was not busy.
Fairs fair though and on the 2nd morning I had the Loch Fyne kipper with scrambled egg and it was delicious. As i said 50%

Also staying in the basement meant we awoke to a very lively crowd one morning getting ready for a seminar only for our disheveled self's to shuffle through them to get to the lift. Not so good first thing in the morning.

The location is ideal for the centre as its all within an easy walk. The staff are very friendly and most helpful. And the building itself, although a bit of a maze, is quite grand.

Good if you can get a good price, i paid about £40pp/n which I would say is reasonable but no more.

Room Tip: Room 4 is lovely overlooking the gardens. Room 17 is in the basement.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BJWhyte
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

This was our 3rd stay at RSC this time in the lovely room 16. The room is large well furnished and well appointed. It has a very comfortable large 4 poster bed. The RSC is a memorial opened after WW1 to those who served in The Royal Scots, the 1st Regiment of the British Army . My Gt Grandfather was one of those soldiers and was killed at the Somme in 1916. For a previous reviewer to moan about a painting depicting German soldiers surrendering to British Troops in 1944 beggars belief, even if German guests were dining as many nationalities stay at RSC! There are numerous photos, paintings and Royal Scots artefacts throughout the building.
We ate in the dining room on 1st night and it was a very reasonably priced 3 courses and wine, served by efficient and friendly staff. After our meal we went to the lounge where upon entering were immediately invited into the company of some retired Royal Scots officers and had a very enjoyable and sociable evening with them. We have always met friendly members or guests on each of our visits. Parking is a bit difficult there is on street parking max 4hrs @ £2 per hour on Abercromby Place Mon-Sat but if you go to next street downhill (Nelson Street) there is no charge after 5.30pm until Monday 8.30am. I have been fortunate to get last space here on each of our visits!
We also found a very good Italian restaurant near Playhouse theatre called Mamma Rosa, our 1st time there, excellent food and service to match.
We thoroughly enjoyed the ambiance of our stay again at RSC coupled with good clientelle and friendly helpful staff we intend to return.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank JoeandSandra
Reviewed 27 January 2014

First - this was my first time in Edinburgh, and I expected a dreary week. Far from it, I arrived in blue skies! No rain until I was at the airport and leaving.

The Royal Scots Club was the accomodation and the venue provide for a workshop I attended. I have no knowledge of the costs and remain neutral.

That said - The location in the New Town makes it easy to walk, in 5 minutes, to Princes Street and all there is to see along the gardens from Waverley Station to the gardens beow the Edinburgh Castle. You pass Thistle and Rose Streets on the way.

We also turned left coming out and walked until we intersected Leith St / Elm Row and all of the restaurants all there. A 10 minute walk at most.

And to finish the walking - yes I walked to the Castle and along the Royal Mile. If I were doing it again, I would cross at South Bridge and choose at the intersection whether to go down the hill to Hollyrood Palace and then up - or to the right and up to the Castle before turning around and going down hill the whole mile. In my case I walked up from The Mound and came to High Street just above St. Giles.

Day tickets on Lothian Buses are only 3 and 50 for a whole day - they will get you everywhere.

The Royal Scots Club is truly lovely, and as a retired military officer I prowled the halls and looked at all of the regimental memories. My room had a beautiful view from the second floor, over the Queens Street Gardens(key at reception for gardens). The two single beds easily pushed together and I slept perfectly every night. I loved that the window opened for fresh air.

The bath was more than adequate. The room was cleaned by 1000 every day. I had no difficulties with the WiFi because I was on the second floor. Those in the below ground rooms had numerous WiFi complaints. But remember - it is free!

Breakfast - I completely enjoyed what was offered, and the two waitresses were exceptional.

As to the function rooms - we were a small group and used the Douglas Room. It worked very well for use, and was reset for a dinner one evening that allowed for nearly 40 people to be seated nicely. The meal was delicious and served with elegance.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 10!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Tiflis
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Stayed for two nights on business. Excellent location and friendly staff. Room was large and well equipped with very comfortable bed. Breakfast was fresh and cooked to order.

Only downside as far as I was concerned was that my room was at the end of a corridor next to an empty function room.

Would recommend and will stay again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank hebby
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed for 3 nights over the New Year period. Whilst the place has an antique/historic look, and more like a private Club than hotel. it is immaculately kept and has many items relating to the Royal Scots Regiments. In saying that our bedroom on the back on 3rd Floor was very pleasant. There was a large queen size bed (very comfortable) with modern ensuite bathroom. The bedroom was furnished in an old style but well done. Normal tea making/biscuits/bottles of water provide, safe (no charge) plus iron and board.
The breakfast was excellent and is taken in the Members dining room. You choose your own cereals, juices, yogurt etc and you order your breakfast from a set menu and is is waiter served together with tea /coffee. The staff were very pleasant and helpful and the cooked breakfast freshly prepared.
Overall we really enjoyed our stay here and we would definitely use the Club again if we go back to Edinburgh. It is loacted in a quiet area, opposite a park, about 5 to 8 minutes walk from George Street in the centre of Edinburgh. Probably more suitable for adults and couples rather than families with young chidren. There is also a nice lounge area with bar. Serves both drinks and snacks. Drinks we had were reasonabley priced. There is a lift serving each floor.

Room Tip: I would ask for a front facing room rather than a rear bedroom.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple