“Confortable stay”

Ranked #18 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
newbury park
“Confortable stay”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Our room and the public areas were very comfortable. The breakfast was a real treat with great views across the gardens opposite and on the first day we were unable to each lunch as it was so filling. The location was ideal as it was close enough to the hustle and bustle of The Royal Mile to be able to walk everywhere in the City centre but set in a quieter more sedate part of town. Taxis were quite cheap when the feet gave out! Would definitely like to return.

Room Tip: Our standard room, although in the annexe, was more like a suite with a sofa and kitchenette.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Club is in a row of grand Georgian houses. Our room (number 14) was in the annexe, compact but spotless. For the same price, our friends had been given number 15 which is a suite and much larger. The staff were helpful and obliging. Both rooms were without the promised Safe but we were able to leave our valuables at Reception. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful. Very popular military club with functions on all three nights that we stayed, but we were not disturbed by any noise. I would certainly recommend and use again.

Room Tip: As for room 17 in the annexe.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Sidcup, Kent UK
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at the Royal Scots Club for just one night at the of April. The staff were very friendly and efficient. Our room was well proportioned with a good sized bathroom. Everything was spotless and comfortable. We only used the dining room for breakfast as we had booked to eat elsewhere the previous evening. The breakfast was more than adequate in size and was very tasty.
The hotel does have a dress code : Smart casual attire is acceptable in all areas of the Club with the exception of the Members’ Dining Room at lunchtimes, Monday to Friday, when a jacket and tie must be worn.

During High Tea and Dinner a jacket and tie is preferred. Other than at breakfast, there is a strict ‘No Jeans’ rule for the Dining Room.
We would use this hotel again as we were made very welcome.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Leverkusen, Germany
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Time takes its toll. The building is so nested, that you need some time to understand, where you are. What you immediately notice is that they don't save wax which is used on the floor. It really smells pretty strongly. The room we had (17) was not very spacious, but sufficiently. I would not call it Executive room though.
Breakfast is excellent, and service is perfect as you would expect in an armed forces club. Everything is clean, but being sold as a 3 to 4 star hotel, I would say it is more on the lower than the higher side. Extraordinary is the situation at Abercrombie place, of course.
Food at the members dinner room is very good and pricewise very interesting.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014

My wife and I stayed here for our second wedding anniversary as we were on Holiday in Edinburgh for a week. Firstly it's an Armed Forces Club that is also an up market hotel as well. So naturally they have a dress code for dinner and standards befitting of an establishment like this which is pleasing to see in this day and age. It's also nicely situated within 10 mins of the Station and Princes Street, albeit half way down a hill. We had the executive room with one of the grandest and best four poster beds I have seen and from looking at the room plans it's one of the largest rooms at the RSC as well. It was very good but with one drawback, it's situated above or very close to the service elevator which was often used quite early in the morning, Ok if you're a very heavy sleeper, not so much if you're not! Apart from that, the hotel is a quiet one. The large bathroom was very good as well with a nice bath that seemed to have constant hot water on tap.

The breakfasts were very nice with pretty much everything you could ask for depending on your tastes. Fried or continental. I always opted for the (Scottish) fried breakfast and found that I rather liked 'Black Pudding'. However their did seem to be an inconsistancy in the quantity of food on the plate each time. Some mornings I got two of something and others I got just one! The quality of the food, like the service was always good though. Especially Lauren who was always cheery and happy. We ate in the dining room in the evening just the once as we didn't want to go out on our anniversary and the food was wonderful. It was just a shame that the other diners had neglected the dress code and no one mentioned it too them!

The only thing that we were concerned about is that the last night we were staying there my wife and I had been out late but my wife went on ahead to tell the night porter to expect me. When I arrived later on (granted it was midnight) the doors were shut and locked and no one answered the bell. Fortunatly my wife came down and let me in! Where the night porter had got to was anyone's guess! We didn't let this mishap spoil our time here though and all in all it has been one of the nicest places we have stayed at.

Room Tip: The Executive room is one of the best but suffers from elevator noise including early in the morning...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here as a gift on my 30th birthday. The reception staff were very friendly and polite. The room (26) was through a maze of doors (4 in total) all saying 26 on them. The room itself was clean and tidy. Very basic for the price and a standard room that could have been in any hotel. Disappointed in the lack of bath. However the shower was amazing so made up for it. We were on the basement so have a nice view of a brick wall.

The thing that really let this hotel down was the breakfast. We arrived at 9am. There was a few people in but not many. However there was no member of staff and no directions on where to sit. After a little wonder of the room a member of staff appeared and sat us down. Tea, coffee and toast were provided in good time. Once we had these we waited for a good 15/20 mins to receive a menu for our cooked breakfast. Then when we did finally get the menu the waiter stood with his pen and paper while we read it. I felt forced into making a quick order. We both had a full breakfast. When it arrived (again in good time) there was no sausage on the plate. We asked for the sausage and when they came they were not good quality at all. Reminded me of Richmond sausages. Not what I expected in a nice hotel. The remainder of the breakfast was not good either. My scrambled eggs were tasteless and my partners poached egg was rock hard. The toms and mushrooms were cold. However the black pudding was very tasty. I asked for extra toast that never came and a top up of coffee which also never arrived. We both left feeling very disappointed.

All in all would not stay here again and wish we had stayed else where as it was not as special as we thought it would be when I was given the gift.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Louise G
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I was booked in to stay for a single night as I had also booked out a meeting room in the same hotel. Unfortunately I had to rush my son to Hospital the night before due to various complications he experiences. As such I had to cancel the trip and phoned to say that I would not be staying over but the meeting would still go ahead with my colleagues. I realised I had missed the 24hr cancellation policy but under the circumstances and given we were paying for a meeting room that was still going ahead, they might waver this. First person I spoke to said no and got quite defensive when I tried to explain. I was then put through to the manager who would not even entertain the thought and basically just wanted to know if she could use the credit card on file.

The organisers of every other event that I had to cancel that week were more than understanding. Shame really as our company use these facilities a lot but not from me anymore and I've sent a blanket email to my organisation to avoid them as well !!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business