“Not quite a "scalding" review”

Ballantrae Albany Hotel
Ranked #124 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Melbourne, Australia
“Not quite a "scalding" review”
Reviewed 30 October 2012

I wanted to like this hotel as some of the staff were very friendly and tried very hard to be helpful but it was a really bad stay. No shower for 3 days as the hot water system was set to scalding and could not be adjusted downwards. The hotel's handyman had looked at it and said that he didn't know what scalding meant and it was fine. It was not - another day, more complaints and it was fixed. In the pouring rain of Scotland I needed a hot shower but not one that would result in 3rd degree burns. I got sick of having to complain again and again to staff as it isn't something I normally do and I'm not comfortable with.

The television would not turn off - you turned it off and it came back on which meant leaving it on or climbing on the desk to reach the power switch awkwardly located in a tangle of cables. That wasn't fixed for my 6 night stay. Reception said that I could get someone do this for me everytime but that really wasn't a satisfactory solution. The free wifi didn't work anywhere else but in reception and occassionally in one of the corridors, never in the room which was a second floor room. The standard of cleaning wasn't good with dirt, crumbs and dust underneath and around the bed which I discovered because the bed kept moving every time I moved.

The public areas were tired with stained carpet which is not a big deal for me but indicates that it is being neglected. The breakfast was variable - depending if you got someone who actually asked what you wanted, or just assumed and delivered you wholegrain toast. This hotel really suffers from a lack of consistency in staffing and facilities. If I'd had a room where things worked properly I would have been a happy little bunny, as it was I hated spending time in the room and couldn't wait to leave Edinburgh. All in all a great shame.

I won't be returning - I'd recommend the location and some of the staff but only if you feel like gambling on a good room and getting the nice staff.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Turkish first
Kilmarnock, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Reading through these reviews tonight i wish we had searched trip advisor before our stay. We were a party of 15 staying two nights. Those with rooms at the front of the hotel hardly slept a wink due to the traffic noise outside. The rooms were dusty & dirty. Two of the rooms had patches to the ceilings due to water ingress which had been repaired but not redecorated. The bathrooms were mouldy and needed a good scrub. Our evening meal on the second night was dire . Meal took over 3 hours in total due to repeated unsuccessful attempts at getting hot, edible food. There is no duty manager within the hotel for complaints so we had to wait till the following morning. Our complaints then were met with rudeness and bad language. Great location, lovely staff on site, dreadful food & dirty rooms. We won`t be back.

Room Tip: If you must stay here ask for a room at the back & DONT book your evening meal here. Plenty of r...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 29 October 2012

I stayed here for a conference in October 2012 and I liked the historical-modern-cozy ambience the most.

The young personnel was always very kind and helpful.
The room was neat - right beneath the roof, got cleaned every day,
bed was quite comfy. Also liked the bathroom - must have gotten renovated
not long ago, water pressure in the shower was a little low and the TV-set was quite small, but I didn't care at all, but for those amongst you who might...

Breakfast was excellent: continental with pies and little cakes,
cornflakes and fruits - and full scottish breakfast as well with,
bacon, sausages, eggs, toast and black pudding...

Yes, if you are a purity fanatic you will find glitches here and there, but
for the normal traveler it's a good choice I guess.

Would like to come back.

Room Tip: Room 403, very small but nice.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Bathgate, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2012

I quite enjoyed my stay in the executive double room but it was dampened by a few snags. The room was clean and spacious upon arrival and was swelteringly hot, but was easy to fix with an open window and turning down radiators. Although the heated towel rack was a nice touch, there should be a warning as it is so close to the shower as my partner burnt himself stepping out of the shower, or perhaps not put it on such a high heat. I also found that there was a lack of temperature control of the shower water which was scalding.

As we were having a romantic night out, my partner wanted to iron his shirt for the evening only to find the iron did not work with the ironing board almost falling out each time the cupboard was opened.

Other than that, the bed was very comfortable and had a good nights sleep followed by a lovely breakfast. The location is very good as it is so close to the station. The staff were friendly and very efficient. The hangers and storage space provided was very good. All in all a good night.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Samantha W
merseyside
Reviewed 13 October 2012

Arrived at this hotel around 11 am aware that our rooms would not be ready untill 2pm this was not a problem as we could leave are cases and go out and about, first off the man on reception was very welcoming, the hotel is around 10 minute walk away from the train station, after a lot of sight seeing and very sore feet, we arrived back at the hotel, we where given our keys and told we was on the top floor and off we went, at first we though oh what lovely rooms until you look again, there is dust every where (change your cleaner she is no good) handles missing of the chested draws, wall paper hanging from the ceiling not to mention the big holes in the ceiling, the bath room was ok but again a few faults in there there was mold around the bath, and a glass screen on the bath but if u where to lean on it you would end up on the other side of the bath on the floor as this swung out, we had a safe in the room which was very good well it would have been if you could get into it follow the instructions and you still can not get into it, breakfast... the bacon was like it had been cooked in the oven, the black pudding was that hard i though i have broken my front teeth and the sausages well they where just as hard as the black pudding, but you are ok with the eggs as they are cooked fresh.... i have had better in a 3 star hotel.... this hotel is in a good location but sadly i would not stay here again we had a front room and getting to sleep was very hard, due to road works there is traffic non stop up and down this road at night and due to only having blinds on the window you could see every passing cars headlights on the ceiling

Room Tip: ask can you see the room you are staying in before you pay, and don't go for a front room
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank joannebet
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2012

The Ballantrae Albany Hotel is in agreta location in the city centre and is good value for the loaction.
The hotel is very boutique and lots black velevt and is now wee bit frayed around the edges.
I was booked in for 2 nights but was upgraded to the Honeymoon suite, frree of charge. The room had a massive repair patch on the cieling which had been replastered but not decorated.
The room was also to the front which of teh hotel which is on a main road, it is very busy all night long and very noisy, I didnt sleep a wink, so much so that I actually checked out the follwoing morning. So if you stay be sure to get a room off the road, Breakfast is well cooked but not the best quality ingredients.
Service is ok, friendly but not the most efficient, staff are short and i asked for ironing board which took 40 minutes to arrive.

Room Tip: Off the front of the hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2012

After reading some of the reviews on here I was very worried after booking this hotel, but then we arrived.......and I had nothing to worry about. Seriously.

The hotel has parking on the front (£2 an hour) and parking around the back (£12 a day, if you can park, we did). The hotel is in an excellent position, the street is ornate and is beautiful.

We were greeted by the hotel manager who took our suitcase to our room which looked exactly like the one I was expecting. There on in, he was extremely helpful and accommodating.

There were some signs of wear and tear and no, its not what I would class as 4* hotel. £138 we paid on laterooms.com, which for the size of the room, exterior/interior, location and for convenience it was a bloody steal!

The room wasn't massive but by no means small, it wasn't dirty and was decorated/ furnished to £75 a night standard I thought. There are better hotels but not for that money and not in the center of Edinburgh.

We had a great time and we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Higher floors towards the rear of the hotel will mean you are not overlooked by the carpark at the r...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple