I wanted to like this hotel as some of the staff were very friendly and tried very hard to be helpful but it was a really bad stay. No shower for 3 days as the hot water system was set to scalding and could not be adjusted downwards. The hotel's handyman had looked at it and said that he didn't know what scalding meant and it was fine. It was not - another day, more complaints and it was fixed. In the pouring rain of Scotland I needed a hot shower but not one that would result in 3rd degree burns. I got sick of having to complain again and again to staff as it isn't something I normally do and I'm not comfortable with.
The television would not turn off - you turned it off and it came back on which meant leaving it on or climbing on the desk to reach the power switch awkwardly located in a tangle of cables. That wasn't fixed for my 6 night stay. Reception said that I could get someone do this for me everytime but that really wasn't a satisfactory solution. The free wifi didn't work anywhere else but in reception and occassionally in one of the corridors, never in the room which was a second floor room. The standard of cleaning wasn't good with dirt, crumbs and dust underneath and around the bed which I discovered because the bed kept moving every time I moved.
The public areas were tired with stained carpet which is not a big deal for me but indicates that it is being neglected. The breakfast was variable - depending if you got someone who actually asked what you wanted, or just assumed and delivered you wholegrain toast. This hotel really suffers from a lack of consistency in staffing and facilities. If I'd had a room where things worked properly I would have been a happy little bunny, as it was I hated spending time in the room and couldn't wait to leave Edinburgh. All in all a great shame.
I won't be returning - I'd recommend the location and some of the staff but only if you feel like gambling on a good room and getting the nice staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the The Ballantrae Albany Hotel a wonderful Grade A listed Georgian town house building and one of Edinburgh's best boutique hotel's. The Hotel is located in the heart of the lively city of Edinburgh, just a short walk from the best attractions of the city. The hotel has a total of 42 en-suite rooms all fitted with modern amenities to meet your needs including Satellite TV and tea/coffee making facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Ebookers, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Hotel.de and Evoline ltd so you can book your Ballantrae Albany Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ballantrae Albany Edinburgh
- Hotel Ballantrae Albany
- Albany Hotel Edinburgh
- Ballantrae Albany Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland