“Great place, kind staff”

Ballantrae Albany Hotel
Ranked #123 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Campinas, SP
“Great place, kind staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

Very nice stay. I didn't know the place but for sure should come back and stay again around. Very kind staff, clean room, very good location. We could go walking in the most important/ known places in Edinburgh.
I've made this trip in September 2011, but I forgot to leave a recommendation for this very good hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Turkish first
Delafield, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

We stayed at the Ballantrae Albany on Aug.15 and 16th, 2013. It was very dirty and hot. The hotel is right on a busy street and lots of traffic all day and night. Hard to sleep with windows open, but no A/C. I asked the management for a table fan and they said they did not have any. We paid 200 pounds/night. ($300)Found out later that the Radisson Blu Hotel on the Royal Mile nearby was the same price and had so much more. Never again

Room Tip: Don't stay there.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Waterford, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

When arriving at this hotel we weren't expecting an over the top luxury experience, we were looking for a basic place to put our heads at the end of our day in Edinburgh but I do expect hotels to be clean. The décor was dark and unwelcoming (completely accept that this is objective and others may find it very tasteful but I thought it was cold) The room itself was badly decorated with terrible pictures on the wall that just seemed to follow me wherever I went. While it was painted and maintained it was certainly in need of an upgrade. The bed had a black fleece blanket covering it and it just screamed "brothel". The bathroom door was next to the bed, was not big enough to swing a cat and had no shelving or space in which we could store our toiletries for the duration of our stay. The drain in the shower blocked in the morning. We could hear absolutely every footstep, cough, conversation that any other guest in neighbouring rooms had during the night. The bed felt damp, like it hadn't been slept in for months. When we were packing to leave, there was dirty underwear beside our bed that did not belong to us! We did not notice it before then. We didn't stay for breakfast, I just wanted to leave that place and pretend it never happened and so we checked out. We were not asked if everything was ok by the receptionist, probably best not to ask as I can't imagine they would get too many positive responses. In any case I was too tired after my terrible night's sleep to have an argument!! We were just advised of what was owing on our bill. All in all it was a very disappointing experience and really put a dampner on what was otherwise a fantastic day in Edinburgh.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Niamh11_11
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

This hotel has a touch of classic charm. even though it is quite old and will soon need some renovations, i had a pleasant stay. I booked a single room for a quick trip to Scotland. I wasnt expecting anything fancy. I just needed a place to sleep and shower. I was on the second floor and as is common in many hotels in the UK there is no assitance to get your bags to your room. The room was pleasant with nice classic furniture even though it was old. the bathroom was clean. The room and bathroom were a decent size for a single room. It is also walking distance from Princes Street and the Waverley Train station. The staff were kind enough to keep my bags after i checked out while i was still touring.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Rochester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

We had planned an escape to Scotland and booked the hotel for a couple of nights. This was a long awaited holiday for us and we went for the Ballantrae Albany as it looked really lovely. We were very impressed with the room, and staff seemed friendly. On checking in however it wasn't until we returned from a days excursion that we found out that we had no hot water at all. We complained to reception and was told hot water was out in the wing of the hotel we were in due to a plumbing issue - it would be fixed soon (nice to be notified of this!). There were no rooms of equivalent grade to move to and were told if we wanted a shower we could use a room at the other end of the hotel (which isn't easy to find!).
To cut a long story short the problem wasn't fixed for the duration of our stay and communication on the issue was terrible, which ultimately ruined our planned break. A bottle of wine and chocolate bars were nice but no real compensation for what should be a basic requirement of any stay! As we know this issue was out of their control, once we had left and taken the managers details, we respectfully requested a partial refund on the total cost. My partner had to chase and chase to get a response which finally was a free nights stay. Great perhaps when you live in Edinburgh, but we had travelled from Kent! This is unacceptable and we are still going to try to push for a refund on one nights stay at the very least. It was a real shame we had this experience but what has made it even worse is the shocking customer service and lack of response! Disappointing doesn't even come close.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Liat W
Dundee, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

Went to stay for business. The hotel was a bit run down. First night was OK, was a basement room which was flood lit outside. Went out for dinner the next night to come back and find that my room had been broken into. My laptop and kindle were stolen and my case was raided. The person somehow managed to open the window from the outside and climb in within a 2 hour time period. I think this was an inside job as I had closed the blinds and the curtains before I left so no passerby could see into my room.

The hotel staff were not helpful at all. They had called the police but they could not offer me another room as they were fully booked (although I was not allowed to stay in the room as it was a crime scene). I was not allowed to speak to the hotel owner regarding claiming off the hotels insurance. They had tampered with the crime scene although they were told not to. They had said to me that they had informed their insurance. They hadn't. They were not forthcoming in providing a refund. AVOID THIS PLACE.

Room Tip: Don't stay there.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Lisa M
Oberrodenbach, Hessen, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

This is a nice hotel with the charme of a "old lady". It's an old nice building with old nice rooms. The furnitures are all in good conditions but very old, normaly I say they need a refurbishment but here it's not really necessary yet. Everything has a bit of an luxury touch but it's only a touch. The location is also OK but you have to walk round about 25 min to the center of the city but other nice sightseeing locations are in the closer surrounding. Furthermore there are nice pubs in the surrounding where you can meet nice scotish people and have a beer with them. The breakfast was very good, the choice was OK but the quality was very good. The Bar is also quite nice and clean and as you can mention, you will have a good choice on scotish Whiskys. I get it from HRS hot deal for 50€ per night and this was perfect for this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends