“Lovely.”

Ballantrae Albany Hotel
Ranked #128 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for my boyfriends birthday, the staff were very friendly on arrival, carried our bags to our room for us and explained how the lights and tv etc worked. The room was huge and decorated beautifully, the bathroom was very spacious and clean. The hotel is close the bus station and train station. A lovely hotel!!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank ginnerbird

Reviewed 20 October 2013

This is a reasonably-priced hotel in this expensive capital city. The rooms were clean and comfy, the continental breakfast fine and the staff friendly. I did find all the gloomy black paint too dark, especially as it was so grey and wet outside. I'd have preferred a warmer, lighter ambiance!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I booked two nights at this hotel six weeks in advance of my trip to Edinburgh, my first visit to the city, I chose the hotel because of its close proximity to the station and the theatre. Four days before my arrival, I was telephoned to advise they had overbooked and they wished to transfer me to their sister hotel.

I explained it would be difficult because I am a woman travelling alone, I had a ticket to the theatre and the transfer would mean me getting a taxi to and from the station and to and from the theatre. I was offered a £10 discount for the 2nd night. I said this would no way pay for four taxi journeys and I was then transferred to the Manager.

The Manager offered £15 and when I said this was unacceptable he said had I tried the other local hotels, or in other words take it or leave it. He then said that I didn't need to get taxi's, the £15 would cover the taxi from the theatre to the hotel because this was at night, the other times I could get a bus, I told him I had no knowledge of the city or the bus routes and he said someone could direct me. The attitude of this guy was unbelievable. I cancelled my booking and wrote a letter of complaint to the owner of the hotel, to date I have not received a reply. I am not surprised.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank 215Visitor
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Albany Hotel during a round trip through Scotland.

This is NOT a four star hotel... on arriving at the hotel the gentlemen on reception was far from welcoming and was rude to a guest on the phone whilst we were waiting to check in... an instant let down.

We were then shown to our room. . The hotel is shabby at best, with carpets torn and ripped wallpaper.

Our room was dark and hairs were on the bed. The view from our window was a wall!

There are much nicer hotels in Edinburgh.... next time I will stay in one of those!!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Happy990
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We've just returned from a fantastic 3 night break in Edinburgh. The Albany Ballantrae is a gem, our room was huge - 308, and had everything you would want. There are some areas that look a little tired but nothing that should put anyone off. We booked room only because there are so many places to eat within a short walk. Only 8 minute walk to Princes Street and Waverley Station. Would definitely stay at the Albany again and would recommend to others.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 12 October 2013

The hotel is well located close to Princes Street, and Waverley station. Nice, "old-fashioned" decor. No double beds in the "single rooms", although room was reasonably sized, and had all the necessary facilities. Ample tea/coffee making faciltiies and toileterries. The bathroom is a bit cluttered with barely and space to place the towels.
Breakfast was good, although the size of the plates provided was small, the coffee provided in a pot was not warm enough, so was the "toast".
Overall the staff is friendly, and a complimentary newspaper every day.
Good hotel overall

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2013

This was a treat for my birthday booked for by my husband. From the moment we stepped inside I knew its was going to be a great stay. The staff were efficient and courteous our room on the third floor was lovely with lots of character, spacious and comfortable. The bathroom was especially fab with a great drencher shower. Breakfast as advertised was continental however it was far beyond what we expected with fresh salmon each morning. Dinner was available if required although with lots of bars and restaurants nearby we chose to eat out. Everything is central to the city centre. We travelled by train and it took us around 15mins walk from Waverly Station to the hotel. We are already preparing our next visit and this will most certainly include a stay at The Albany.

Room Tip: Our room was 301 and was perfect