Ballantrae Albany Hotel
US$375
US$333
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$193
  • Room Service
US$245
US$221
  • Pool
Cairn Hotel Edinburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$186
US$108
  • Bar/Lounge
Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$164
US$152
  • Restaurant
All reviewshoneymoon suitecontinental breakfastquiet streethuge bathroomhigh ceilingsyork placestaff at receptionlovely hotelprinces streetdouble roomstayed for one nightbars and restaurantscity centreenjoyable staylovely roomwithin easy walking distancetea and coffee
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

We booked the Ballantrae Albany Hotel after staying there a couple of times previously. We loved the warmth of the employees, it's uniqueness, scottish breakfasts, the size of the rooms etc. This time no customer service, continental breakfast (no option for a hot breakfast). We had to drag our suitcases to our room (with the stairs it was a little difficult) and this time, our bathroom was tiny (not the spacious one's we're accustomed to at the Ballantrae. There was no minibar, previously when we stayed there, there was a free mini bar (I understand that's highly unusual), with some crisps, chocolate, water and soft drink. There's now no mini bar, they don't even provide bottled water. We'd asked for a car park 6 months prior in our booking, only to be told they hadn't made one available for us. On a positive note, their wifi is second to none and the locality of the hotel is fantastic. Had previously been loyal to this hotel on my trips to Edinburgh. Will think twice before booking them next time.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for my boyfriends birthday, the staff were very friendly on arrival, carried our bags to our room for us and explained how the lights and tv etc worked. The room was huge and decorated beautifully, the bathroom was very spacious and clean. The hotel is close the bus station and train station. A lovely hotel!!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank ginnerbird
Reviewed 20 October 2013

This is a reasonably-priced hotel in this expensive capital city. The rooms were clean and comfy, the continental breakfast fine and the staff friendly. I did find all the gloomy black paint too dark, especially as it was so grey and wet outside. I'd have preferred a warmer, lighter ambiance!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I booked two nights at this hotel six weeks in advance of my trip to Edinburgh, my first visit to the city, I chose the hotel because of its close proximity to the station and the theatre. Four days before my arrival, I was telephoned to advise they had overbooked and they wished to transfer me to their sister hotel.

I explained it would be difficult because I am a woman travelling alone, I had a ticket to the theatre and the transfer would mean me getting a taxi to and from the station and to and from the theatre. I was offered a £10 discount for the 2nd night. I said this would no way pay for four taxi journeys and I was then transferred to the Manager.

The Manager offered £15 and when I said this was unacceptable he said had I tried the other local hotels, or in other words take it or leave it. He then said that I didn't need to get taxi's, the £15 would cover the taxi from the theatre to the hotel because this was at night, the other times I could get a bus, I told him I had no knowledge of the city or the bus routes and he said someone could direct me. The attitude of this guy was unbelievable. I cancelled my booking and wrote a letter of complaint to the owner of the hotel, to date I have not received a reply. I am not surprised.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank 215Visitor
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Albany Hotel during a round trip through Scotland.

This is NOT a four star hotel... on arriving at the hotel the gentlemen on reception was far from welcoming and was rude to a guest on the phone whilst we were waiting to check in... an instant let down.

We were then shown to our room. . The hotel is shabby at best, with carpets torn and ripped wallpaper.

Our room was dark and hairs were on the bed. The view from our window was a wall!

There are much nicer hotels in Edinburgh.... next time I will stay in one of those!!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple