“Should be called bubonic Albany Hotel !!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ballantrae Albany Hotel

Ballantrae Albany Hotel
Ranked #124 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Should be called bubonic Albany Hotel !!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

Firstly the reception person, did not speak a word of English, so booking in took 57 mins
When I was shown the room it was not ready, well the sheets had not been changed and the carpet had some wet smelly thing going on.
Ok a bad night on a really old bed, but thought maybe breakfast would be better, well actually it was so bad I did not touch it , ok fried egg hard and burnt, bacon was chewy and mostly fat mushrooms from a can, which were the best part, the sausage was almost all grissle, must have been 24 for a £1
The staff were rude and ignorant , first time in my life I have complained, but this place was the pits.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank peterkelsey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Turkish first
Rio Linda, California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

This was our first trip to Scotland and I knew my husband and I wanted to walk around Edinburgh and "soak in" the sites for 5 days. The Ballantrae Albany Hotel is situated in a really great location--close to everything--restaurants, bus, railway, the Castle (we walked to it and back). That being said, our room always felt a damp and cold, the water pressure really needed help (but I rinsed my hair in the tub using the faucet--just dealt with it), the furnishings and rug could use a good cleaning...but what the heck, we only slept there! We appreciated the fresh towels and friendly staff (Len is the best--he helped book a day tour for us and was always helpful). So, I'd say it was a 50/50 type of deal.

Room Tip: Ask for 406
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Candace T
Aberdeen
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

This hotel was booked as part of a package deal for family to visit Edinburgh and take in the Lion King Show, as a gift for a Golden wedding, where do we start, at check in they were advised there was no bar and no restaurant as the franchise had pulled out, onto the room and it was dated, carpets filthy and radiator in bathroom leaked all over the floor, unable to sleep as the location is very central and the windows do not keep out the street noise, breakfast was advertised as continental, and if you like tea and toast then yes it is continental, but nothing else was on offer as they had run out! Will never book this hotel again, a shame as it was booked for a special occasion and totally ruined by a 2 star standard. Why are they allowed to charged 4 star prices when they clearly are not

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank BROOS

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

We booked the Ballantrae Albany Hotel after staying there a couple of times previously. We loved the warmth of the employees, it's uniqueness, scottish breakfasts, the size of the rooms etc. This time no customer service, continental breakfast (no option for a hot breakfast). We had to drag our suitcases to our room (with the stairs it was a little difficult) and this time, our bathroom was tiny (not the spacious one's we're accustomed to at the Ballantrae. There was no minibar, previously when we stayed there, there was a free mini bar (I understand that's highly unusual), with some crisps, chocolate, water and soft drink. There's now no mini bar, they don't even provide bottled water. We'd asked for a car park 6 months prior in our booking, only to be told they hadn't made one available for us. On a positive note, their wifi is second to none and the locality of the hotel is fantastic. Had previously been loyal to this hotel on my trips to Edinburgh. Will think twice before booking them next time.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for my boyfriends birthday, the staff were very friendly on arrival, carried our bags to our room for us and explained how the lights and tv etc worked. The room was huge and decorated beautifully, the bathroom was very spacious and clean. The hotel is close the bus station and train station. A lovely hotel!!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank ginnerbird
henley-on-thames
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

This is a reasonably-priced hotel in this expensive capital city. The rooms were clean and comfy, the continental breakfast fine and the staff friendly. I did find all the gloomy black paint too dark, especially as it was so grey and wet outside. I'd have preferred a warmer, lighter ambiance!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

I booked two nights at this hotel six weeks in advance of my trip to Edinburgh, my first visit to the city, I chose the hotel because of its close proximity to the station and the theatre. Four days before my arrival, I was telephoned to advise they had overbooked and they wished to transfer me to their sister hotel.

I explained it would be difficult because I am a woman travelling alone, I had a ticket to the theatre and the transfer would mean me getting a taxi to and from the station and to and from the theatre. I was offered a £10 discount for the 2nd night. I said this would no way pay for four taxi journeys and I was then transferred to the Manager.

The Manager offered £15 and when I said this was unacceptable he said had I tried the other local hotels, or in other words take it or leave it. He then said that I didn't need to get taxi's, the £15 would cover the taxi from the theatre to the hotel because this was at night, the other times I could get a bus, I told him I had no knowledge of the city or the bus routes and he said someone could direct me. The attitude of this guy was unbelievable. I cancelled my booking and wrote a letter of complaint to the owner of the hotel, to date I have not received a reply. I am not surprised.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo