“Huge disappointment, photos misleading”

Ballantrae Albany Hotel
Ranked #127 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 10 March 2014

While Albany Ballantrae is in an ideal location, everything else is a huge disappointment. It felt more like a youth hostel than a boutique hotel / B&B. The public and private spaces were dirty, carpet was threadbare, huge paint chips in walls and mismatched patchwork, and overall quality of bed, sheets, towels, etc was poor. It now makes perfect sense why they ask you to pay in full before you see your room - that way they have your money! After voicing complaints, we were informed that there wasn't a manager on duty over the weekend and that someone would get back to us about a refund. The verdict was no refund. This hotel definitely is not focused on customer comforts and their payment and refund policies are outdated. If you are going to Edinburgh, stay anywhere but this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank egenyc

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for my boyfriends birthday. I booked this hotel rather than the usual travelodge as a treat with it been advertised as a 4* hotel.... what a joke! The location was great, that was the only thing that was. When we arrived we receved no sort of greeting from reception, just ordered to pay the second nights stay now before we got our keys. Not even a have a nice stay or anything. When we got to our room past all the threadbare carpets initially seemed nice. After a proper look though discovered the "double" bed was actually two singles pushed together with a double sheet over them. There were mirrors and tap parts missing in the bathroom. And the welcome booklet was just full of charges if anything was broken or taken from the room. The shower took a good 15 mins before any sort of warm water came through and if you were taller than 6ft then you would have to bend double to get under the shower.
The continental breakfast was ok. Although stale croissants were not expected, especially for the price paid. Put it this way the second morning we prefered to pay for breakfast elsewhere.
When checking out we recieved the same kind of greeting as when we checked in, a grunt when handing the keys back was about as much as we got.
The fact that this hotel is advertised as 4* is simply a joke. I have stayed in 2* b&bs that were better than this. Its an overpriced hotel that does not deserve a 4* in the slightest. Would I recommend or stay in this hotel? A resounding NO!
My advice, do not stay here, its not worth it in the slightest!

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank steph81xx
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed for 2 nights. We were upgraded to an executive double. Room 412. The room was lovely and the bathroom was huge!

The only problem we had was the shower. As soon as I had put my conditioner in my hair, the water pressure disappeared completely. My boyfriend phoned reception and the advice given was to wait 10 minutes because lots of people were probably having showers. Safe to say I did not appreciate this useless advice as I was freezing cold stood in the shower. The water did come back on eventually though. The same thing happened to my boyfriend the next morning too.

Apart from the shower everything was great.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank lorrs88
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend visited Edinburgh for a weekend break. Upon arrival we were very sceptical about the hotel due to some of the bad reviews. However we were very pleased!
The hotel is a very large with several staircases and corridors to walk through to get to your room with added interior decoration. The room was very large, staff friendly and a 5 minute walk from St James' shopping mall which you can walk straight through to get to princes street. Breakfast was enough to fill you up and the staff bring you any hot drinks or toast you require.
Check out was 11am however our train was only at 8pm but the staff allow you to leave any luggage for the whole day with no extra fee.
Our only concern was the hot water tap did not work for the bath however this was not too much of a problem.
Edinburgh is a great city and the hotel has added to the enjoyable experience of the break!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Beckybx
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

I visited this nicely decorated hotel for a business trip. I was in a single room which was downstairs. The room itself was a reasonable size but the bed was absolutely tiny. Even though it is a single room they could quite happily have fitted a double bed in which would've been much more comfortable.
The bathroom was acceptable although the shower head, which was nice and big, was at approximately 5 feet 10 meaning I had to crouch in the shower.
Down points are very creaky floorboards and a very small cheap television.

The location itself is very good being a 10 minute walk from the main station and near the city centre. It is a nice quiet location and despite having a downstairs room I was not woken by traffic or partying.
The staff are friendly. There was some confusion about whether I had actually booked in but once the receptionist found where his colleague had hidden the paperwork all was well!
The continental breakfast is served downstairs in a modern dining room. This is again acceptable but certainly not top end (however I would not have expected this to be top end for the price paid)

For £59 a night with a continental breakfast I would say this represents good value and a reasonable business hotel to stay in for the individual.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I always find with Edinburgh that you either get anonymous international brand hotels that are same, same, same, so I have been trying to find somewhere in this great city, and I have found it. The Ballantrae Albany Hotel is a wee gem of a place. Rooms are funky and modern with nice little touches, its one street down from Queen Street so a great location, and it very good value for money.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 February 2014

This was a great choice! Ticked all the boxes for me...proximity to the city centre, ambience, service, cleanliness, room size; overall, a great experience! Oh...and everything worked for the 3 nights I spent there:). The ambience did surpass my expectation...and it came at a good price too.

I will certainly recommend to anyone looking to have a peaceful and relaxing time.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo