“Great little town house”

Ballantrae Albany Hotel
Ranked #127 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

We were unsure about this hotel as it had some bad reviews but I booked this hotel anyway and the executive suite which was right at the back at the top and as soon as we opened the door it was beautiful they even let us check in early due to our train.
We had two sinks a bath and a separate shower. The bed was comfy but could if done with more pillows but that's just us 3 pillows each so probably used to home.
The hotel is a bit 5 mins walk from Edinburgh and not so far that it's far and so close that you don't hear nightlife.
The magnum pub on the same street was beautiful we had dinner in there and would highly recommend that.
The lady at the front reception in thehotel had all the knowledge and felt confident of where we were going. I would definitely come back - and stay in the executive room.
Thanks again

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 March 2014

I'm not one to complain, however feel I need to warn others of our experience here in February. Supposed to have stayed for 2 nights but had to move after first. Woken by huge argument next door at 3am which then took over an hour for security to address. (Understand noise happens but had to call reception multiple times whilst they did nothing)

In the morning we woke to no water anywhere. After a long wait we were reassured water would be back on again but 2 mins later when in the shower covered in soap water went again. Had to rise off with a bottle of water in my bag! Reception were far from helpful and unable to confirm if we would actually have water again. Forced to move ourselves to the sister property a road away which was 100 times better with running water, friendly staff and a good breakfast selection. When we spoke to the sister hotel they weren't surprised we had been forced to move and described the Albany as a 'sinking ship' and knew all about the unreliable water system and pressure. To be completely this hotel was a massive disappointment. The images looked stunning so expected standards to be a little higher, whereas in fact I have stayed at hostels in the past with better service and facilities.

The only good thing about this place is the location, at only a few minutes walk from the city center (new town) and public transport links.

Room Tip: Don't book one. Instead go to the sister property a road closer to town.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2014

what a lovely hotel, very close to city center ( 15 minutes walking to the train station, approximately 3 block to the main road). rooms are very big and decorations is very Scottish, old furniture with class, loved the bathroom, the high ceilings. staff very friendly and willing to help and give tips, receptions is super small but all seems to be running in this hotel. well done all. will definately stay here again

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

What a disappointment. If it hadn't been for its location and the fact I had prepaid I would have walked out and gone elsewhere. Shabby carpets some parts even bordering on dangerous. A very uninspired continental breakfast, obviously running out of certain tinned fruit today,despite a tesco or marks nearby. Not returning there again

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank PAnn57
Reviewed 10 March 2014

While Albany Ballantrae is in an ideal location, everything else is a huge disappointment. It felt more like a youth hostel than a boutique hotel / B&B. The public and private spaces were dirty, carpet was threadbare, huge paint chips in walls and mismatched patchwork, and overall quality of bed, sheets, towels, etc was poor. It now makes perfect sense why they ask you to pay in full before you see your room - that way they have your money! After voicing complaints, we were informed that there wasn't a manager on duty over the weekend and that someone would get back to us about a refund. The verdict was no refund. This hotel definitely is not focused on customer comforts and their payment and refund policies are outdated. If you are going to Edinburgh, stay anywhere but this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank egenyc
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for my boyfriends birthday. I booked this hotel rather than the usual travelodge as a treat with it been advertised as a 4* hotel.... what a joke! The location was great, that was the only thing that was. When we arrived we receved no sort of greeting from reception, just ordered to pay the second nights stay now before we got our keys. Not even a have a nice stay or anything. When we got to our room past all the threadbare carpets initially seemed nice. After a proper look though discovered the "double" bed was actually two singles pushed together with a double sheet over them. There were mirrors and tap parts missing in the bathroom. And the welcome booklet was just full of charges if anything was broken or taken from the room. The shower took a good 15 mins before any sort of warm water came through and if you were taller than 6ft then you would have to bend double to get under the shower.
The continental breakfast was ok. Although stale croissants were not expected, especially for the price paid. Put it this way the second morning we prefered to pay for breakfast elsewhere.
When checking out we recieved the same kind of greeting as when we checked in, a grunt when handing the keys back was about as much as we got.
The fact that this hotel is advertised as 4* is simply a joke. I have stayed in 2* b&bs that were better than this. Its an overpriced hotel that does not deserve a 4* in the slightest. Would I recommend or stay in this hotel? A resounding NO!
My advice, do not stay here, its not worth it in the slightest!

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank steph81xx
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed for 2 nights. We were upgraded to an executive double. Room 412. The room was lovely and the bathroom was huge!

The only problem we had was the shower. As soon as I had put my conditioner in my hair, the water pressure disappeared completely. My boyfriend phoned reception and the advice given was to wait 10 minutes because lots of people were probably having showers. Safe to say I did not appreciate this useless advice as I was freezing cold stood in the shower. The water did come back on eventually though. The same thing happened to my boyfriend the next morning too.

Apart from the shower everything was great.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends