“Comfortable and well located” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ballantrae Albany Hotel

Ballantrae Albany Hotel
Ranked #123 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Phoenix, Arizona
“Comfortable and well located”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I had read the reviews and the hotel met my expectations. I was looking for comfortable, clean and handy to the local attractions and this was it. The staff were very helpful, in particular the new doorman who helped with the luggage since there was no lift and I couldn't manage my luggage up the stairs. On site parking is very tight but we were lucky on the three nights we were there. Breakfast was OK but again, that's what I expected from the research so no surprises.
I would stay there again.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I find it hard to believe this is a 4 star hotel. I stayed for two nights in the tiniest single room I have ever stayed in. With its darkwallpaper and dard wooden blinds, it felt quite claustrophobic. Definitely not worth the £181 I paid for the two nights. I wouldn't stay here again or recommend it to anyone. When returning my key the staff member didn't ask how my stay was which I thought was poor.

The only good thing about this hotel is its location, near cafes, bars and shops.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here twice now and both times were very good, rooms and service are very good, beds comfy and the food is great. Great central location for the city and parking right outside. No problem recommending this hotel to anyone.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Squawking44
Lincolnshire UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

On an overnight stay at this boutique hotel with my partner was certainly an experience and will definitely be returning. The hotel itself is five town houses and very eclectic, smart and well dressed. On arriving the receptionist was very friendly and chatty, which continued during our stay. We had an executive suite which was simply beautiful, the bathroom was huge with a tv by the bath (we didn't work out how to switch it on though!). We used the bar briefly and breakfast is in a room adjacent to this, well set out and a lovely choice. There are a lot of staircases, which is our only slightly negative comment, but adds to the eclectic nature of this lovely hotel. It is situated on a quiet street (we slept very well) but centrally well positioned in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Discuss when booking where you room will be as the hotel is fairly spread out
2 Thank NickyRainbow
Rotherham, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

So we booked a room and paid for a room (honeymoon suit with champagne) - on arrival found we had been charged more than what was agreed over the phone when the booking was made !!! Also there was no room, no one had actually made the booking. The booking had been amended on their system for the previous weekend why this was done no one will actually tell us. If it was us why would we turn up at the hotel.

We have had the money refunded that was over charged in the first place but this still leaves a very bitter taste as we were left stranded 250 miles from home with nowhere to sleep and I can't believe they have no contingency plan for this so we had to find and pay for our own alternative accommodation which I found extremely unsatisfactory.

Also we have yet to actually speak to someone that can make a decision, getting the words constantly "I will speak to the owner" not good enough, if the owner has got anything about them at all they would have been on the phone to us straight away to get this sorted.

I would like a full explanation as to why this happened and some form of compensation for the stress caused by the hotel group! This was a weekend we had been looking forward to for a very long time hence why we booked the honeymoon suit and the champagne on arrival !!! we booked the hotel for a stress free long weekend city break due to having a very stress full few months and yet all they did was make it 10 times worse.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Bolton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

No real complaints because it was a business trip and the hotel served its purpose. Positives: it is central, the rooms were good standard apart from missing iron/ironing board and it was quiet. Negatives: décor is tired and worn and disappointing breakfast (I overheard one foreign couple ask where the cooked breakfast was and I would expect a cooked British breakfast in a 4 star British hotel).

Room Tip: Get one 3rd floor upwards to avoid staring at a wall.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed here for one night. We chose it because of its location, being near Princes Street. That is the only plus. It's a very drab, dated and tired establishment. Everything is black and shaded and gives it a very sinister feel to it. I think for £127 for a night with a continental breakfast (that we didn't bother to have) it's over priced

1 Thank jimmymac1951