I was worried, after reading reviews of no hot water in some rooms, but was assured all was fixed, which it was, and was the only room available in this area. Staff on reception are very good, and came to my assistance immediately to help with T.V. although I had to shine my pocket torch at the controls, because there was not enough light in the room, to see the buttons.
Lack of lighting is probably the reason for the awful stains on black velour bedcover, carpet, and general filth on dark carpet. It must be impossible for housekeeping to maintain cleanliness without night vision goggles. Having black painted cheap repro furniture, chipped in places to reveal earlier white paint, calling this a "Boutique Hotel" is rather a joke, or perhaps a little pretentious. I enquired about self classification of 4*, and had email stating it has actually been accredited - this does not appear on Scottish tourist board site, and I will be contacting them shortly with my concerns about this establishment.
The bathroom has been professionally installed to a very acceptable standard, and was clean as it had sufficient lighting. I was alarmed at the price of phone calls, 70p per min local & 80p for 0800 (free numbers), £10 per day for Wi-Fi (3 free alternatives on iphone), but the "piece de resistance" was the 2% surcharge for credit card use.
Having breakfast was a joy, as restaurant under different ownership, exceeded 4 stars and on my next visit will dine here, whilst hopefully staying in my usual favourite hotel.
To summarise: If you've always hankered to stay somewhere that resembles a bordello from a 1970's comedy movie, this might be a perfect choice, or perhaps you are suicidal, and would love a room swathed in black (inc. venetian blinds), grey and maroon, with very little light to put you in the mood, then this is it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the The Ballantrae Albany Hotel a wonderful Grade A listed Georgian town house building and one of Edinburgh's best boutique hotel's. The Hotel is located in the heart of the lively city of Edinburgh, just a short walk from the best attractions of the city. The hotel has a total of 42 en-suite rooms all fitted with modern amenities to meet your needs including Satellite TV and tea/coffee making facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Ballantrae Albany Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ballantrae Albany Edinburgh
- Hotel Ballantrae Albany
- Albany Hotel Edinburgh
- Ballantrae Albany Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland