“Very good hotel for a trip to Edinburgh”

Ballantrae Albany Hotel
Ranked #127 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 7 December 2009

Perfect for singles and small groups. Very nice hotel, great staff, reasonable price.

• Stayed: December 2009

Reviewed 3 December 2009

I was worried, after reading reviews of no hot water in some rooms, but was assured all was fixed, which it was, and was the only room available in this area. Staff on reception are very good, and came to my assistance immediately to help with T.V. although I had to shine my pocket torch at the controls, because there was not enough light in the room, to see the buttons.

Lack of lighting is probably the reason for the awful stains on black velour bedcover, carpet, and general filth on dark carpet. It must be impossible for housekeeping to maintain cleanliness without night vision goggles. Having black painted cheap repro furniture, chipped in places to reveal earlier white paint, calling this a "Boutique Hotel" is rather a joke, or perhaps a little pretentious. I enquired about self classification of 4*, and had email stating it has actually been accredited - this does not appear on Scottish tourist board site, and I will be contacting them shortly with my concerns about this establishment.
The bathroom has been professionally installed to a very acceptable standard, and was clean as it had sufficient lighting. I was alarmed at the price of phone calls, 70p per min local & 80p for 0800 (free numbers), £10 per day for Wi-Fi (3 free alternatives on iphone), but the "piece de resistance" was the 2% surcharge for credit card use.
Having breakfast was a joy, as restaurant under different ownership, exceeded 4 stars and on my next visit will dine here, whilst hopefully staying in my usual favourite hotel.

To summarise: If you've always hankered to stay somewhere that resembles a bordello from a 1970's comedy movie, this might be a perfect choice, or perhaps you are suicidal, and would love a room swathed in black (inc. venetian blinds), grey and maroon, with very little light to put you in the mood, then this is it.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank printswilliam
Reviewed 1 December 2009

Hotel wasa great old Victorioan House remodeled as Hotel with all the modern comfort. Staff was great and helpful always a smile on the face and expectionally helpful. Also the attached restaurannt Haldanes is a great point 1.st for Breakfast and then also for Dinner wit great Scottish specialities.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 November 2009

me and my gorgeous girlfriend arrived mid nov at the albany ballantrae and was taken aback by the grandeure with what faces u as u enter.
Apart from the uniqeness an cleanliness of the hotel the location is as good as it gets from a city hotel, tucked away in a eloquent side street 5 mins away from the centre of the beautifull city.
the customer service is also as good as iv ever seen, will definatly go back, keep up the good work chaps......bravo!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2009

Loved this hotel, cosy, central, customer service was very good. would definately stay there again ;D

Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2009

I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights and during this stay I had no hot water! I had travelled with 3 other couples and they endured the same problem. Promises were made that this would be rectified and I doubt it has been as I write this now. We were made to walk through the hotel to the other side to use showering facilies with our clothes in hand and lose our dignity having to walk aroud with wet hair. Promises were made to allow us to move rooms but this did not happen. Promises were also made that we would be able to speak to the hotel manager - apparently no-one was on duty through the weekend. We were promised a manager would be on site sunday morning as we departed but surprise suprise this did not happen. I have just spoken to the manager to get this issue resolved after waiting for 5 days!! The owner will not speak with guests which I find disgusting. I must warn people not to give their pin number to reception on arrival members of our party had monies taken from thier accounts when they were promised non would be taken until management had spoken with us - this is a criminal offence and is hand!
I have grave concerns that if there were no hot water in the hotel in places what about health and safety as legionella is a risk!!!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 November 2009

We had booked this hotel for a special birthday celebration. On arrival on friday 13th our first problem was that there was no key to the room and in the end we had to have the master key and were told one could not be cut until Monday.
Our next hiccup was that the television did not work so we fetched maintenance and it was later that we learned that you had to switch on the picture lights before you could switch on the television and leave them on.
The heating and water failed at 3pm but as we were going out to see a show we were reassured that it would all be working when we returned. This proved not to be the case at all. We had travelled up from York that morning we were wet as it was raining heavily and all we could do was go to bed wet cold and dirty.
The heating was still not working on saturday morning and still no hot water. We were told at 7.30.that the engineer would be here at 8pm and it would be working shortly afterwards.
We were offered a single room in the other part of the hotel in which to shower this involved trooping with towels and wet hair through the hotel, My husband had already boiled a kettle to have a shave.
On returning to the hotel at 3pm on the Saturday we still had no hot water and no heating and the room was freezing, Who goes to a hotel to sit in their fleece jacket?
The heating eventually came on whilst we were out on Saturday evening.
However out of the 2 radiators in the room only 1 worked so it was still cold. The heated towel rail in the bathroom did not work either.
On checking out we voiced our complaints to the Revenues manager who was on the desk but he said he was not in authority to offer and refunds etc although he agreed with our comments.He said he would speak to the proprietor and he would contact us by e mail either later that day or the following day. WE ARE STILL WAITING IF YOU ARE OUT THERE AND READ THIS.
Surely a 4 star hotel should have someone who can deal with problems as they arise and where was the owner of the hotel?
All in all a birthday weekend ruined, thank you.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple