“Great location but not a good hotel”

The Old Waverley Hotel
Ranked #105 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Great location but not a good hotel”
Reviewed 18 August 2012

My problem with this hotel stated the night before when I had a phone call demanding payment for the first night as the card I provided to secure booking wasnt working.I said I understood that we pay at the hotel. In fact checking everything I received from them this is what is agreed. This is the 3rd hotel I have stayed in in as many months and this was always the case. I couldn't believe they were taking payment without permission. I was told I had to get hotel early to pay. The fact I was sharing the room and cost was lost on them. We did arrive early and room was paid for immediately in full for the duration of stay.

The towels were dirty by being used for a long time or not been cleaned enough. The bathroom just had frosted glass so outlines were perfectly clear to the busy Princes Street. The curtains didn't meet so light was always coming through.. Some staff were pleasant, the majority
weren't.

The location is great and if that's all you need then you can't fault it.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Holidayjd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
northern ireland
Reviewed 17 August 2012

This has been our family's favoured hotel in Edinburgh since 1947! I stayed here first in 1960 so was interested in how it would compare in 2012. We arrived on one of the wettest days of the year so appreciated the first floor lounge with the great views & the excellent coffee,lunch & bar service here. It is a bit of a trail up from street level & the corridors are narrow with many steps & the lift is small & slow BUT when we got to our room what a wonderful surprise--large,modern &newly refurbished--very comfortable bed,great TV & an excellent bathroom--the heated towel rail was very much appreciated. We had no view but did have 2 windows looking out on to a side street.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room with an outside window.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mjdvy
Reviewed 17 August 2012

We just stayed at the hotel and found the rooms to be in serious need of updating. There was no clock in the room, the exhaust fan was in the bathroom was broke, the bed was terrible. The location is excellent. The hotel is situated one flight of stairs above street level with no lift access. Would have been nice to know. The lift in the hotel may just be the smallest lift in the world. The hotel wasn't cheap. Expected a bit more. The hotel can't live off of their location forever.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Juliefoxridge
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
I’m disappointed to hear that this guest was not impressed with certain aspects of their experience at the Old Waverley and would like to apologize directly to them for any shortcomings experienced. I am sorry for the issues with your extractor fan in the bathroom and they will be pleased to hear that this was swiftly dealt with and rectified by the maintenance department.
As I have mentioned in many previous responses, due to the nature and age of the hotel, we simply cannot provide a lift from the street level up to reception level, and we do mention this on our hotel website. Please note that there is a bell at the entrance which will alert our porter who will be only too happy to come and get your bags.
I hope you will consider returning to the Old Waverley in the near future so that you may witness firsthand the standard of bedroom and customer service which is more usual for the Old Waverley
Leon Kiteley
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2012

My parents stayed here a few weekends ago, they got a really good deal on the hotel's website. They had a wonderful stay at the Waverley - fabulous breakfast, clean and very friendly and helpful staff. Plus what a great location!

Room Tip: standard double facing princes street
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jayaratna
A great review and my thanks to this guest for spreading the word about our lovely breakfast, clean rooms and helpful staff,. I was delighted to read that your parents had such and enjoyable stay and I hope they will be back soon.
Leon Kiteley
East Sussex
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We stayed at The Old Waverley Hotel for our Honeymoon. It is a lovely, well looked after hotel. We asked for a view of the castle when we booked. We had corner room on the third floor and the view was wonderful. We were visiting during the fringe festival and the hotel was located central to many of the venues and easy walking distance from many of them. The staff were kind, friendly and helpful. When I return to Edinburgh I will be saving up my pennies to stay here again.

Room Tip: It is worth paying a bit extra for a corner room with castle view.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
I am very grateful for such a positive recommendation and for such a wonderful comment on the service. Such positive feedback is never taken for granted and is greatly appreciated by the whole team.
We are hoping to see you soon at The Old Waverley.
Middle of nowhere, Ohio
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I selected a standard room in this centrally located hotel. Although the room was small, it was very clean and well-decorated. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. For instance, One of the restaurant servers was leaving as I was checking out and she carried my suitcase down the stairs from the lobby to the street. The food in Abbotsford lounge was excellent and there was a great view of Scott Monument and Princes St. Garden. We chose afternoon tea for an early dinner and it was outstanding in taste and value at £6.95 per person. The sandwiches, scones and sweet were as good as I've had anywhere.(I've had afternoon tea in several posh London hotels) Since the location is so convenient to train station and all the tourist spots, it was extremely convenient and I would happily stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
I was delighted to hear that this guest has such a positive experience and I would like to extend my gratitude to them for sharing it. I have passed their comments onto the staff who were equally thrilled.
Looking forward to welcome you again at The Old Waverley Hotel.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Had a lovely lunch here today but my friend is in a wheelchair. Access for her was a nightmare. I cannot believe in this day and age that there is no wheelchair access. the staircase is wide enough to have a stair lift fitted. The meal and the staff were extremely helpful but the visit was marred by the poor access.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2012
Nice to see some feedback from a "non residential" guest. My thanks to this diner for spreading the kind word about our lunch service. Our head chef carefully sources locally produced produce in order to bring only the best to your plate. I have passed these kind comments on to our kitchen team and food service team, who I am sure will be delighted.
I must agree with this guest that we simply cannot cater to all the needs of our disabled guests due to the very nature of our building. As the oldest hotel in Edinburgh, we were built in an age of less forward thinking concerns, and our entrance is very limiting with absolutely no scope for development. Do note that there is a bell at the entrance which will alert or porter who will be only too happy to come and offer his help.
I'm also happy to inform you , that we are currently in a process of creating new menus with a bigger selection of meals and also wines. Hope to see you again so you may witness our improvements on menus and then again share a a positive feedback with us.