“Disappointing Experience”

The Old Waverley Hotel
Ranked #106 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 28 August 2012

This hotel is overpriced at £140 a night. Given the choice I wouldn't spend more than £70 given my experience there. The room I was in was tiny.

Upon arrival I was put in a room at the front of the hotel. At the time I was booking the hotel, some weeks before, I specifically requested a room at the rear of the hotel as I am a light sleeper. When I called Reception, the rather abrupt Receptionist told me that everyone had booked in (it was 6.30pm) and there were no rooms of my choice available. All she kept saying was "We cannot guarantee a room of your choice)

I kicked up a real fuss, because I was convinced they simply hadn't taken my request into account, and furthermore wasn't convinced everyone had already checked in. Miraculously they found me a room at the rear of the hotel, but instead of sending a porter, I was told to go back down from the third floor to collect the key. Strangely, I saw several others checking into the hotel right up to 2am!

I had breakfast brought to my room, and as I sat down to tuck in, realised there was no cutlery, so by the time the cutlery arrived my cooked breakfast was stone cold. This is just sloppy service.

This hotel charges for wi-fi, when quite frankly most hotels don't charge these days, and in any event shouldn't when their room rates are so high.

If you are a light sleeper, do not stay at this hotel. Even at the back it is very, very noisy up to about 2am (and I was there on a week day)

All in all, not a hotel I would recommend or would ever visit again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Colin B
Write a ReviewReviews (2,183)

Reviewed 26 August 2012

Very clean, very friendly and excellent service throughout our stay, nothing was too much trouble. The room a good sized double, looked out on to Scott's Monument. The bathroom was gleaming not a hair in sight. Breakfast was a cooked buffet with fruit, yogurt and cereal also. The cooked buffet was constantly topped up so it didn't matter what time you came down to eat. The only draw back was no car park, you have to park in the NCP car park which was about 10 mins walk away. I would definitely go back again if I visit Edinburgh.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank southdevonkitty
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

What can I say? A perfect review and more kind words about the cleanliness of our bedrooms and the wonderful breakfast on offer. I agree that the location is perfect but it also helps to have a dedicated team of staff on hand which I think this review demonstrates. Many thanks for such great feedback.

Reviewed 22 August 2012

Having arrived in Glasgow, rented our car, and negotiated our way to Edinburgh without the help of our GPS (trouble linking to the maps) we made it to the hotel. Now this is where I would give some advise to future visitors. If you are driving a car, make sure you plan ahead and know where you are going to park your vehicle. The hotel itself does not have parking, but there are car parks within reasonable distance, one I believe is discounted through the hotel. Getting accustomed to driving in the UK, map-less, and without the aid of GPS the tour of downtown Edinburgh was an adventure in itself. Finally a car park was located and after a short taxi ride to the hotel, we got settled. The hotel is a grand old beauty, there were no issued with staff, the room was as we expected, and the food was excellent. The best part was the centralized location, we were able to walk to all the points of interest in the downtown area. The Hop on hop off bus stops are close by.
The room was clean and we were not in need of anything. If you are able try to get a room facing the front, great views of the castle and monument. I highly recommend this hotel for visitor trips to Edinburgh. BUT REMEMBER TO PRE PLAN YOUR PARKING IF YOU ARE DRIVING!

Room Tip: Pre plan your parking, and ask for a front facing room
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank D H

A great review of the Old Waverley and some very sage advice for future guests. Please do contact us directly before setting off if you are driving to the hotel so we can offer advice and directions as to where to park and how to get to the hotel. Although Edinburgh is one of the easiest Capital Cities to navigate in your car, it is always double checking with the team for any roadworks or road closures in the area.

Reviewed 19 August 2012

This Hotel is in a great location for a short break and although the rooms a very clean they were a bit on the small side, and as it was so hot ( yes it was hot in Scotland ) we had to have the windows open which meant dealing with City noise all throught the night. We stayed on the 6th floor opposite the "Jenners" department store and to have have a room with castle or other view is at a premium. The beds were not the biggest or the most comfortable but were sufficient for the 2 nights in which we stayed.The bathroom was sufficient and very clean which is always nice.We visited for the " Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo" and due to the time of year, and also that as well as the tattoo the "Edinburgh Fringe Festival" was on we payed over £200 pounds a night for the rooms which is for location rather than the luxury. We literally used the room for sleeping as we were on the go for our visit and the hotel is in the perfect location for a short city break, but for any longer would be a bit of a squeeze. We had a late train the day of departure and the hotel was more than obliging to look after our bags until we went which I would have expected anyway but just thought I would add. The staff are nice enough and helpfull, but as someone else has mentioned in another review a phone call the night before arrival for authorisation on my card was unexpected as this had been done previously but they had taken the details down wrong. That said it was comforting to know having booked the hotel months ago that the room was still available. In short if you are after luxury this is not the place to stay but if location is a must, with Waverley Train Station only minutes walk away and all tour buses starting directly over the road then this may be the place you want to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms with castle or another view are at a premium.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Chris C

Many thanks to yet another wonderful guest for taking the time to write such a comprehensive and overall positive critique of the Old Waverley and I am heartened to read how much they enjoyed their time in Edinburgh. I noticed, however, that they were not bowled over by the quality of our beds but I am happy to announce by the end of August every room will have a brand new bed, and very comfortable they are too!

Reviewed 18 August 2012

We stayed overnight at the Old Waverley Hotel on Wednesday 15th August 2012 so that we could attend the Edinburgh Tattoo. We found the hotel to be spotlessly clean, very comfortable and central and it can certainly boast very friendly, courteous and helpful staff. Breakfast was lovely with lots of choice and if we are ever staying overnight in Edinburgh again we will have no qualms about returning to this hotel

Room Tip: If you can get a room with a view of Princes Street as there is so much to see
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Esther M
Reviewed 18 August 2012

My problem with this hotel stated the night before when I had a phone call demanding payment for the first night as the card I provided to secure booking wasnt working.I said I understood that we pay at the hotel. In fact checking everything I received from them this is what is agreed. This is the 3rd hotel I have stayed in in as many months and this was always the case. I couldn't believe they were taking payment without permission. I was told I had to get hotel early to pay. The fact I was sharing the room and cost was lost on them. We did arrive early and room was paid for immediately in full for the duration of stay.

The towels were dirty by being used for a long time or not been cleaned enough. The bathroom just had frosted glass so outlines were perfectly clear to the busy Princes Street. The curtains didn't meet so light was always coming through.. Some staff were pleasant, the majority
weren't.

The location is great and if that's all you need then you can't fault it.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Holidayjd
Reviewed 17 August 2012

This has been our family's favoured hotel in Edinburgh since 1947! I stayed here first in 1960 so was interested in how it would compare in 2012. We arrived on one of the wettest days of the year so appreciated the first floor lounge with the great views & the excellent coffee,lunch & bar service here. It is a bit of a trail up from street level & the corridors are narrow with many steps & the lift is small & slow BUT when we got to our room what a wonderful surprise--large,modern &newly refurbished--very comfortable bed,great TV & an excellent bathroom--the heated towel rail was very much appreciated. We had no view but did have 2 windows looking out on to a side street.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room with an outside window.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple