This hotel is overpriced at £140 a night. Given the choice I wouldn't spend more than £70 given my experience there. The room I was in was tiny.
Upon arrival I was put in a room at the front of the hotel. At the time I was booking the hotel, some weeks before, I specifically requested a room at the rear of the hotel as I am a light sleeper. When I called Reception, the rather abrupt Receptionist told me that everyone had booked in (it was 6.30pm) and there were no rooms of my choice available. All she kept saying was "We cannot guarantee a room of your choice)
I kicked up a real fuss, because I was convinced they simply hadn't taken my request into account, and furthermore wasn't convinced everyone had already checked in. Miraculously they found me a room at the rear of the hotel, but instead of sending a porter, I was told to go back down from the third floor to collect the key. Strangely, I saw several others checking into the hotel right up to 2am!
I had breakfast brought to my room, and as I sat down to tuck in, realised there was no cutlery, so by the time the cutlery arrived my cooked breakfast was stone cold. This is just sloppy service.
This hotel charges for wi-fi, when quite frankly most hotels don't charge these days, and in any event shouldn't when their room rates are so high.
If you are a light sleeper, do not stay at this hotel. Even at the back it is very, very noisy up to about 2am (and I was there on a week day)
All in all, not a hotel I would recommend or would ever visit again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Modernized hotel in building dating from 1848; overlooking Princes Gardens and the Scott Monument; with views of Edinburgh Castle. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your The Old Waverley Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Old Waverley Hotel
- Old Waverley Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Hotel Waverley
- Waverley Hotel Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Hotel Old Waverly
- The Old Waverley Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland