“service with a smile”

Ranked #104 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Methil
“service with a smile”
Reviewed 3 September 2012

First of all, you cant ask for a better location in Edinburgh, directly opposite waverly station and the Scott monument, what more could one ask for? On our arrival we were greeted by attentive and helpful staff and allocated a room which sadly had a blacked out wndow. Though the room itself was clean and well appointed, the lack of window was rather disconcerting to my fiancee who suffers from asthma. I allerted the staff to this and within minutes we were allocated a room facing Princes Street ( with 2 windows). The views were almost breathtaking giving clear view to the castle and Princes Street. Although this inevitably meant some added noise from the street we didnt mind , the views more than compensated. The hotel itself is old and full of character it doesnt offer free wi fi or mni bars in the rooms but that doesnt seem to matter if you are only staying a night. The staff were among the most polite, friendly and helpful i have came across. Although the buffet breakfast was good i felt the 12 quid price tag was rather steep. I would definitely stay at the Old Waverly again but make sure to have breakfast elsewhere

Room Tip: rooms facing Princes Street are noisier but have the best views
1 Thank daftmanonatrain
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Another fantastic review and such kind words. I am glad this guest had such a positive experience and can only add, further to their comments on breakfast pricing, that if you book your room on our own website, you can order breakfast in advance and pay just £5.00 per person..
Leon Kiteley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I stayed in this hotel on 2 different occasions. The first time I booked a Junior Double room, it was so small that we felt so suffocated staying in it. The 2nd time, I booked a standard double room facing Princess Street, the room was slightly bigger, but it did not look like any of the rooms shown in the photos. The price difference is not very big, so I would advise to go for the standard room for a larger space.

The paid Wifi (5 pounds for 24hours) only allows one person to log on at any one time. We have to take turn to get connected to the internet.

The room is very expensive compared to it's quality (there is no fridge, hotel's lift is small and slow). I paid about 190 pound for a standard room.

There are many flights of stairs that you need to walk up before reaching reception. If you have heavy luggage, you might want to think twice!

The only good thing about this hotel is that it has very good location. Walking distance to the train station and royal mile.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and go for the standard room. The Junior double room is very small.
2 Thank Merlion42
Stratford, Connecticut
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Arrived for a week stay at noon and was pleasantly surprised to find one of my two rooms available. Front desk staff friendly and efficient at check in and throughout my stay assisted with tourist information. Room size was fine for a double and was serviced quickly and neat. Bathroom are very modern. Breakfast buffet was excellent and if you did not see something all you had to do was ask and if available it was provided (fried versus scrambled eggs). Location is perfect to walk to Princes Street Gardens, Shopping, Edinburgh Castle and Royal Mile and all the restaurants you could imagine on Rose Street. I had stayed in the hotel in the last 80's and 90's and had not been back to Edinburgh in a while and was pleased by the entire experience.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Tynemouth
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Had a really special time here for our 1st wedding anniversary. Room was fab, food lovely & staff & atmosphere great. Would go back as enjoyed. It was especially nice sitting in the bar looking onto Princess Street and watching the world go by

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We stayed for 3 nights over the August Bank Holiday weekend. When we arrived, we had to drop our luggage and go straight to an event that we had booked (the Edinburgh Tattoo) and were worried we would be late and not admitted to the event as our flight had been delayed. We rang ahead and asked the hotel to book a taxi for us but when we arrived this had not been done, which was very annoying. They then booked it when we arrived but we had to wait for it when we really needed it to be waiting for us.
Our double room was large and really nice. The bathroom was modern and spotless. The maid service was brilliant, waiting whilst we used the room after a late breakfast and cleaning it later. We had a view of the building next door and the alley, which was not attractive but we really did not mind. The view from the restaurant and the bar was lovely, across the park and it was nice to sit there.
The breakfast was delicious - not high quality ingredients but what could you expect for a fiver a head. It was plentiful and lots of variety. Only one complaint would be that I asked for brown sauce but was told it had run out - fair enough, but the next morning there was still none and I would have expected them to have gone and got some for the next day.
The bed was two singles pushed together and quite hard, even with a thin mattress topper! Some people might like a very firm mattress but it led to backache and a poor night's sleep for us.The linen was white and fresh.
The reception staff were on the whole polite and welcoming - on the 4th day we met our first Scottish member of staff!
All in all, we had a lovely stay and would return to this hotel so long as they do not put their prices up. We had a better deal booking directly with the hotel on a prepaid basis than any of the online booking engines offered. The hotel's website needs a revamp though, with more pictures and information.

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2012

This hotel is overpriced at £140 a night. Given the choice I wouldn't spend more than £70 given my experience there. The room I was in was tiny.

Upon arrival I was put in a room at the front of the hotel. At the time I was booking the hotel, some weeks before, I specifically requested a room at the rear of the hotel as I am a light sleeper. When I called Reception, the rather abrupt Receptionist told me that everyone had booked in (it was 6.30pm) and there were no rooms of my choice available. All she kept saying was "We cannot guarantee a room of your choice)

I kicked up a real fuss, because I was convinced they simply hadn't taken my request into account, and furthermore wasn't convinced everyone had already checked in. Miraculously they found me a room at the rear of the hotel, but instead of sending a porter, I was told to go back down from the third floor to collect the key. Strangely, I saw several others checking into the hotel right up to 2am!

I had breakfast brought to my room, and as I sat down to tuck in, realised there was no cutlery, so by the time the cutlery arrived my cooked breakfast was stone cold. This is just sloppy service.

This hotel charges for wi-fi, when quite frankly most hotels don't charge these days, and in any event shouldn't when their room rates are so high.

If you are a light sleeper, do not stay at this hotel. Even at the back it is very, very noisy up to about 2am (and I was there on a week day)

All in all, not a hotel I would recommend or would ever visit again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Colin B

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

paignton
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Very clean, very friendly and excellent service throughout our stay, nothing was too much trouble. The room a good sized double, looked out on to Scott's Monument. The bathroom was gleaming not a hair in sight. Breakfast was a cooked buffet with fruit, yogurt and cereal also. The cooked buffet was constantly topped up so it didn't matter what time you came down to eat. The only draw back was no car park, you have to park in the NCP car park which was about 10 mins walk away. I would definitely go back again if I visit Edinburgh.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank southdevonkitty
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
What can I say? A perfect review and more kind words about the cleanliness of our bedrooms and the wonderful breakfast on offer. I agree that the location is perfect but it also helps to have a dedicated team of staff on hand which I think this review demonstrates. Many thanks for such great feedback.
Leon Kiteley