The Old Waverley Hotel
US$373
US$334
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$193
  • Room Service
US$335
US$279
  • Pool
Murrayfield Hotel and House(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$153
  • Room Service
US$245
US$221
  • Pool
Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$164
US$152
US$224
US$181
  • Breakfast included
2,215 results
All reviewsscott monumentprinces streetgreat locationtrain stationfirst flooredinburgh castlechristmas marketcorner roomtour busestriple roomyour luggagecentral locationbuffet breakfastprincess stnice bathroomreception areashort break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 September 2012

First impression tired and sad , yes it is more b&b than hotel and would be better to class it's self as a guest house, check in fine and swift with no hassle suitable lift up to 5th floor with a fine big room, once again similar to your old room at home cosy not modern clean tidy could be refurbished but why??? This is quirkiness. Fortunately I travel the work 5 star first class and most rooms are clones of each other globally, this was fit for purpose for me excellent view of the castel and princes street fortunately, breakfast was a little bit sad wit cold sausage what appeard to be possessed scramble eggs and beans that were starting to gain a crust under the heat , settled for cereal and toast, but as per the beginning of this note guest house standards not 3 star hotel, unfortunately industry dictates costs and refurbishment would not go astray at the Waverley as what appears to be ongoing is repairs and rectification on a small budget , all in all I had a decent night ,unfortunately tried to extend for a further night but requested to depart by 11:00 but to my advantage as a large hotel across the road accommodated me for the evening and have remain here for the remainder of my stay in Edinburgh
The Waverley to sum up tired in need of referbisment but not that bad as to say I would stay again
If they have room available!!!!!!

Room Tip: Defiantly require a castle view Carefully manage your bags up the few steps to reception if your fit ok if not you shall require assistance Be prepaid it's not 5star but all in all not that bad for the cracking location and pipes to wake you up in the morning ( not plumbing Bag Pipes across the street!!!!)
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Madness123
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

Overall a very good review and it is nice to hear the unique quality of the Old Waverley being highlighted. I am really sorry to hear that on this occasion breakfast was not up to our usual high standard ( as can be read about in multiple reviews) and I will address this now with Davd, Head Chef, who, I am sure will wish to be affiliated with my apologies.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

Going to Edignburgh for the Tattoo was the highlight of my trip to Scotland but was almost eclipsed by the horrible first night stay at the Old Waverly Hotel. I wanted to love this hotel since it was at a prime location with a view of the castle. Travelers, please be aware that there is no parking or passenger drop off of any kind at this hotel. You will need to park at the car park at the mall about half a mile away and carry your lugguage through the busy sidewalks to the hotel. Keep in mind too that the sidewalks are extra chaotic since the streets are closed off to the tram rail construction. If you are not a young and fit traveler, you should not stay at this hotel. It will take you nearly an hour to find parking at the mall, lug your belongings to the hotel and up three flights of stairs to the check-in counter to get your keys.

The first night we spent at Old Waverly we were given a room on the fifth floor out of the way by the emergency exit and janitor's closet. Though the room was a large size, it had many failings. The worst issue was that the room had an extremely strong toxic smell that implied heavy duty chemicals were used to clean up something like human waste. We were unable to sleep as the chemical offgassing disturbed our breathing and caused me to have an asthma attack. The room was not clean. The furniture was worn, dirty, dated and table tops were sticky and oily. Though the bathroom was modernized, the sound of the water pump kept you up. The room had two windows, both looking out into the noisy alley and over the dirty roof of the building adjacent to the hotel. We had a lovely view of the condensing units covered with dirt.

The next morning we called up to the front desk to express concern regarding the smell and requested another room. They immediately told us that they would move us to another room without asking us for any explanations. We believe that their willingness to transfer us was because they were already aware of the offgassing from previous complaints and did not care to contest our concerns. We were moved to a much nicer but smaller corner room on the second floor for the second nights stay.

Overall, the proximity to Princes Street was convenient but not worth the hassle with the parking or constant noise of the tour buses and tram rail construction. I would suggest picking a hotel off the main drag with parking.

4  Thank Ready2Depart

Whilst I am deeply troubled to hear of anyone leaving the Old Waverley without being entirely satisfied, I really must take issue with this review and its accuracy. We are as accessible as any other hotel on Princes Street and we have a porter that will help you bring in your luggage – all you need do is press the bell on the ground floor to alert us of your presence. The NCP car park is less than a 5 minute walk away and you simply follow Princes Street to find it – no navigation required. If in any doubt – call us prior to arrival and we will assist. As to the key point of this review, it is unreasonable to criticize a room for being dirty in one sentence and then criticize it for smelling too clean the next. Our rooms are spotless as countless other reviews demonstrate and only the safest of cleaning products are used – as with every other hotel in Edinburgh.
I also find it unreasonable to criticize the front desk staff for being too eager to assist in moving rooms – they do this not because they are used to it but because they are in the business of service – a point I would have thought would have been reflected upon more positively.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

I know that everyone's review are personal and subjective but I find it hard to really fault this 3 star hotel. We booked through the 'Edinburgh Collection' website and got an excellent DB&B rate.
The hotel is opposite the Scott Memorial and only a few minutes walk from Waverley station. Although there are major road works in the area there is a safe crossing almost opposite the hotel. Steps to get to Reception have been mentioned but there is a bell by the front door if assistance is needed.
We were greeted with a smile (by Charlene?) and dealt with promptly and with courtesy. Our room was on a side street with a view towards Princes Street and the Castle. The room looked as though it has had a recent revamp. The beds were new, and extremely comfortable. The carpet, curtains + fixtures and fittings also looked new. We had asked for twin beds and as the room was a 3 bedded room there was plenty of space. The bathroom was spacious and spotless.
The breakfast buffet offered plenty of choice (I even tried a bit of haggis - although I think that is an acquired taste!).
Dinner was excellent and we were pleasantly suprised by this because many hotels do not offer choices as imaginative. The courses were well presented and also served with a smile. With the bonus of a window table overlooking Princes Street, the park and up to the 'old town' it was a very pleasant place to dine. I have one slight criticism - which applies to many hotels - regional cheeses should be served! Scotland has many fine cheeses and it would have been nice to have tried some with my meal.
This hotel is within walking distance of all the major sights and places to visit but there are excellent bus services - in fact I don't think I have ever seen so many buses - and a day ticket only costs £3.50 - excellent value if the weather is inclement.
We hope to return to Edinburgh in the not too distant future and will certainly use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms on South David Street are quieter than Princes Street
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roamingdolly

What a wonderful summary of a stay at the Old Waverley! My sincerest thanks to this guest for taking the time to go into such detail; mentioning the homeliness of the room, the attentive service and those little touches we specialise in to make every experience memorable.They make a very good point regarding our cheese offering and I have addressed this already with the Head Chef, David - watch this space! I look forward to greeting this guest again in the near future.

Reviewed 3 September 2012

First of all, you cant ask for a better location in Edinburgh, directly opposite waverly station and the Scott monument, what more could one ask for? On our arrival we were greeted by attentive and helpful staff and allocated a room which sadly had a blacked out wndow. Though the room itself was clean and well appointed, the lack of window was rather disconcerting to my fiancee who suffers from asthma. I allerted the staff to this and within minutes we were allocated a room facing Princes Street ( with 2 windows). The views were almost breathtaking giving clear view to the castle and Princes Street. Although this inevitably meant some added noise from the street we didnt mind , the views more than compensated. The hotel itself is old and full of character it doesnt offer free wi fi or mni bars in the rooms but that doesnt seem to matter if you are only staying a night. The staff were among the most polite, friendly and helpful i have came across. Although the buffet breakfast was good i felt the 12 quid price tag was rather steep. I would definitely stay at the Old Waverly again but make sure to have breakfast elsewhere

Room Tip: rooms facing Princes Street are noisier but have the best views
1  Thank daftmanonatrain

Another fantastic review and such kind words. I am glad this guest had such a positive experience and can only add, further to their comments on breakfast pricing, that if you book your room on our own website, you can order breakfast in advance and pay just £5.00 per person..

Reviewed 30 August 2012

I stayed in this hotel on 2 different occasions. The first time I booked a Junior Double room, it was so small that we felt so suffocated staying in it. The 2nd time, I booked a standard double room facing Princess Street, the room was slightly bigger, but it did not look like any of the rooms shown in the photos. The price difference is not very big, so I would advise to go for the standard room for a larger space.

The paid Wifi (5 pounds for 24hours) only allows one person to log on at any one time. We have to take turn to get connected to the internet.

The room is very expensive compared to it's quality (there is no fridge, hotel's lift is small and slow). I paid about 190 pound for a standard room.

There are many flights of stairs that you need to walk up before reaching reception. If you have heavy luggage, you might want to think twice!

The only good thing about this hotel is that it has very good location. Walking distance to the train station and royal mile.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and go for the standard room. The Junior double room is very small.
2  Thank Merlion42