“Walkable location”

Ranked #104 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
“Walkable location”
Reviewed 11 September 2012

This hotel is walkable to the castle, Royal Mile, and shopping in New Town, which is a major plus with cabs being expensive. Accomodations are good, maybe not as exquisite as the price tag may indicate but definetly comfortable especially the space available. The breakfast was the same, good but not exquisite. Staff was very courteous and helpful. Con is hotel has no close or convenient parking and driving in Edinburgh is CRAZY especially for those who normally drive on the Right. My suggestion would be either take day trips from travel companies going out of the city or wait to rent a car until you are finished seeing the city.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 10 September 2012

It was my first time to travel to Edinburgh & won,t be the last . we stayed inThe old Waverly hotel on princes st. It is very central to everything.
I found it very strange though to see the reception area up 1 flight of stairs.
The staff were very friendly & helpful, our room was small but very cosy & spotless. Food was very good. I will definitely stay again here at the "Old Waverly Hotel" thanks guys for making our stay very comfortable & relaxed. Mary- Dublin

• Stayed August 2012
Cardiff
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Location - perfect! If it had been anywhere other than on Princes St then I would have been disappointed.

Cleanliness - excellent. Housekeeping staff clearly take pride in their work.

Bedroom - Window did not close properly, so at 7.30am on all 3 days I was woken by the roadworks taking place outside. I have no problem with my room being on the Princes St side of the hotel but I do have the expectation that the hotel will ensure that their guests are not disturbed by noise.

The room I booked was classed as an "internal" room - what neither the hotel website or any other website says is that this room is actually tiny. For the amount I paid - I expected better

For what I paid which was £359 - I dont think this hotel actually gives value for money at all. I will not be returning to this hotel.

I will be writing to the hotel manager directly to make a formal complaint regarding my stay

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2012

This hotel is in great location in the centre of Edniburgh but that's about it as far as things to recommend it. I booked in here for a business trip which was during the Fringe festival and the Tattoo so rooms in Edinburgh were at a premium and pricey. This hotel still had vacancies (now I understand why) but at £175 a night for double room on a room only basis. As it turned out my wife was able to accompany me on the trip so knowing I had a double room she came along. At the reception the receptionist told me quite curtly that I would have to pay another £30 for my wife. I asked why as nothing extra was being provided for this (i.e. no breakfast or anything) and was told that this was the rate for a double room occupied by two people???
I questioned it and got nowhere but normally I am used to paying a price for the room and it doesn't matter if there is one or 2 people in it.
The room itself was incredibly small and quite dingy. The hotel is in dire need of refurbishment the carpets are threadbare and it is generally shabby. The room we had was also quite noisy early in the morning as traffic started to flow.
There are much nicer cheaper hotels in Edinburgh than this so unless you want to walk out of the door in Princess Street I'd look elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Ronnier8
Worldwide
Reviewed 6 September 2012

My two grown sons and I ventured to Edinburgh for a few days before going to Dublin, Ireland for the Navy-Notre Dame football game. Looking for an older hotel, in the center of the city, I discovered the Old Waverley, and after looking at the website, I booked a "triple". We actually stayed at the hotel twice - three nights the first time, and then two nights upon our return from Dublin, before departing for home in America. Arriving at the hotel, we knew we'd have to walk up to the lobby from the street, which was no problem, and actually added to the ambiance of the hotel. Checking in was easy, and the staff were friendly and accommodating. We received the key to our room, and took the elevator to the sixth floor, where we found room 601. It was the most amazing room - three large porthole windows that overlooked Princes Street, the gardens, and the Robert Scott monument! There were three single beds, which we deemed the most comfortable in Scotland!! The bathroom has been fully upgraded, with tile and new fixtures. You'll find the hairdryer in the top desk drawer though, not in the bathroom!!! A flat screen TV, easy chair, and small desk and chair completed the room. We were surprised one morning to find the elevator didn't work, and so we hiked down the six floors to go out for the day. We ate breakfast in the restaurant, and thoroughly enjoyed the offerings. The bar area is comfortable, and the staff, again, are friendly and accommodating. The hotel is right on Princes Street, literally around the corner from the bus to/from the airport. Waverley Station, the main railroad link, is also just a short walk away. Edinburgh castle, the Royal Mile, and Rose Street are very close. We definitely will stay at the Old Waverley next time we visit Scotland, and recommend it to you.

Room Tip: While the trolley line is being installed, rooms on the front of the building will have to bear the...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank oldvetsailor
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Good to hear what a great time this guest had in Edinburgh and it is very encouraging to read a positive comment regarding our access from Princes Street! This comprehensive review needs little more from me - suffice to say many thanks to his reviewer for taking the time to list the highpoints of their stay such as the helpful staff and convenient location - hope to welcome them again soon!
Kinsale, Ireland
Reviewed 6 September 2012

First impression tired and sad , yes it is more b&b than hotel and would be better to class it's self as a guest house, check in fine and swift with no hassle suitable lift up to 5th floor with a fine big room, once again similar to your old room at home cosy not modern clean tidy could be refurbished but why??? This is quirkiness. Fortunately I travel the work 5 star first class and most rooms are clones of each other globally, this was fit for purpose for me excellent view of the castel and princes street fortunately, breakfast was a little bit sad wit cold sausage what appeard to be possessed scramble eggs and beans that were starting to gain a crust under the heat , settled for cereal and toast, but as per the beginning of this note guest house standards not 3 star hotel, unfortunately industry dictates costs and refurbishment would not go astray at the Waverley as what appears to be ongoing is repairs and rectification on a small budget , all in all I had a decent night ,unfortunately tried to extend for a further night but requested to depart by 11:00 but to my advantage as a large hotel across the road accommodated me for the evening and have remain here for the remainder of my stay in Edinburgh
The Waverley to sum up tired in need of referbisment but not that bad as to say I would stay again
If they have room available!!!!!!

Room Tip: Defiantly require a castle view Carefully manage your bags up the few steps to reception if your...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Madness123
Overall a very good review and it is nice to hear the unique quality of the Old Waverley being highlighted. I am really sorry to hear that on this occasion breakfast was not up to our usual high standard ( as can be read about in multiple reviews) and I will address this now with Davd, Head Chef, who, I am sure will wish to be affiliated with my apologies.
Los Angeles
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Going to Edignburgh for the Tattoo was the highlight of my trip to Scotland but was almost eclipsed by the horrible first night stay at the Old Waverly Hotel. I wanted to love this hotel since it was at a prime location with a view of the castle. Travelers, please be aware that there is no parking or passenger drop off of any kind at this hotel. You will need to park at the car park at the mall about half a mile away and carry your lugguage through the busy sidewalks to the hotel. Keep in mind too that the sidewalks are extra chaotic since the streets are closed off to the tram rail construction. If you are not a young and fit traveler, you should not stay at this hotel. It will take you nearly an hour to find parking at the mall, lug your belongings to the hotel and up three flights of stairs to the check-in counter to get your keys.

The first night we spent at Old Waverly we were given a room on the fifth floor out of the way by the emergency exit and janitor's closet. Though the room was a large size, it had many failings. The worst issue was that the room had an extremely strong toxic smell that implied heavy duty chemicals were used to clean up something like human waste. We were unable to sleep as the chemical offgassing disturbed our breathing and caused me to have an asthma attack. The room was not clean. The furniture was worn, dirty, dated and table tops were sticky and oily. Though the bathroom was modernized, the sound of the water pump kept you up. The room had two windows, both looking out into the noisy alley and over the dirty roof of the building adjacent to the hotel. We had a lovely view of the condensing units covered with dirt.

The next morning we called up to the front desk to express concern regarding the smell and requested another room. They immediately told us that they would move us to another room without asking us for any explanations. We believe that their willingness to transfer us was because they were already aware of the offgassing from previous complaints and did not care to contest our concerns. We were moved to a much nicer but smaller corner room on the second floor for the second nights stay.

Overall, the proximity to Princes Street was convenient but not worth the hassle with the parking or constant noise of the tour buses and tram rail construction. I would suggest picking a hotel off the main drag with parking.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ready2Depart
Whilst I am deeply troubled to hear of anyone leaving the Old Waverley without being entirely satisfied, I really must take issue with this review and its accuracy. We are as accessible as any other hotel on Princes Street and we have a porter that will help you bring in your luggage – all you need do is press the bell on the ground floor to alert us of your presence. The NCP car park is less than a 5 minute walk away and you simply follow Princes Street to find it – no navigation required. If in any doubt – call us prior to arrival and we will assist. As to the key point of this review, it is unreasonable to criticize a room for being dirty in one sentence and then criticize it for smelling too clean the next. Our rooms are spotless as countless other reviews demonstrate and only the safest of cleaning products are used – as with every other hotel in Edinburgh.
I also find it unreasonable to criticize the front desk staff for being too eager to assist in moving rooms – they do this not because they are used to it but because they are in the business of service – a point I would have thought would have been reflected upon more positively.