“The perfect hotel for a city break”

The Old Waverley Hotel
Ranked #107 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 24 September 2012

The location in Princes Street opposite Waverley Station makes it the perfect hotel for a short city break. Tourist sites are within walking distance and and buses to Ocean Terminal (Royall Yacht Britannia) leave from outside the hotel. The bedroom had an excellent view across Princes Street Gardens and was both clean and comfortable with good bathroom shower. Breakfast offered a wide choice and service throughout the hotel was very good. The Old Waverley is good value for a city centre hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,163)

Reviewed 14 September 2012

stayed here in Feb 12 over Valentines day etc and had the most amazing time. We've stayed here before years ago and the standards are still high as ever. We were booked on a B&B basis which was a buffet breakfast of excellent quality. Also if you had wanted boiled egg e.g they cooked that especially for you. I love the charm of the Old Waverley, its the only place we would stay in that beautiful city. Thoroughly enjoyed it all. Lovely comfy, clean and modern room with nice bathroom facilities and I do like when hotels supply the shower gels etc, nice little touches which make all the difference. I wont forget the gorgeous smells throughout the hotel but that is mostly because LUSH is just next door and the scents waft up to the hotel! Any time I pass a Lush shop now I remember my Edinburgh weekend with fondness :)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I'd like to start by saying that the staff was absolutely outstanding. However, no amount of good customer service will make up for the state of the room I was staying in. The mattress has definitely seen better days and there was a nasty stain on the wall just above the radiator. I was staying in a room on the first floor that had no double glazing (and absolutely disgusting looking) windows. With buses travelling right under the windows throughout the night, it was literally impossible for me to get some sleep. I ended up checking out at 04.30 am

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ted44
Reviewed 11 September 2012

This hotel is walkable to the castle, Royal Mile, and shopping in New Town, which is a major plus with cabs being expensive. Accomodations are good, maybe not as exquisite as the price tag may indicate but definetly comfortable especially the space available. The breakfast was the same, good but not exquisite. Staff was very courteous and helpful. Con is hotel has no close or convenient parking and driving in Edinburgh is CRAZY especially for those who normally drive on the Right. My suggestion would be either take day trips from travel companies going out of the city or wait to rent a car until you are finished seeing the city.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2012

It was my first time to travel to Edinburgh & won,t be the last . we stayed inThe old Waverly hotel on princes st. It is very central to everything.
I found it very strange though to see the reception area up 1 flight of stairs.
The staff were very friendly & helpful, our room was small but very cosy & spotless. Food was very good. I will definitely stay again here at the "Old Waverly Hotel" thanks guys for making our stay very comfortable & relaxed. Mary- Dublin

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Location - perfect! If it had been anywhere other than on Princes St then I would have been disappointed.

Cleanliness - excellent. Housekeeping staff clearly take pride in their work.

Bedroom - Window did not close properly, so at 7.30am on all 3 days I was woken by the roadworks taking place outside. I have no problem with my room being on the Princes St side of the hotel but I do have the expectation that the hotel will ensure that their guests are not disturbed by noise.

The room I booked was classed as an "internal" room - what neither the hotel website or any other website says is that this room is actually tiny. For the amount I paid - I expected better

For what I paid which was £359 - I dont think this hotel actually gives value for money at all. I will not be returning to this hotel.

I will be writing to the hotel manager directly to make a formal complaint regarding my stay

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 September 2012

This hotel is in great location in the centre of Edniburgh but that's about it as far as things to recommend it. I booked in here for a business trip which was during the Fringe festival and the Tattoo so rooms in Edinburgh were at a premium and pricey. This hotel still had vacancies (now I understand why) but at £175 a night for double room on a room only basis. As it turned out my wife was able to accompany me on the trip so knowing I had a double room she came along. At the reception the receptionist told me quite curtly that I would have to pay another £30 for my wife. I asked why as nothing extra was being provided for this (i.e. no breakfast or anything) and was told that this was the rate for a double room occupied by two people???
I questioned it and got nowhere but normally I am used to paying a price for the room and it doesn't matter if there is one or 2 people in it.
The room itself was incredibly small and quite dingy. The hotel is in dire need of refurbishment the carpets are threadbare and it is generally shabby. The room we had was also quite noisy early in the morning as traffic started to flow.
There are much nicer cheaper hotels in Edinburgh than this so unless you want to walk out of the door in Princess Street I'd look elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business