“Misleading Lobby..”

The Old Waverley Hotel
Ranked #107 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 29 September 2012

When you arrive at the Old Waverley, it's all very beautiful and Scottish. Great location, lots of plaid, historic building, and good views over the city. But, on the whole, the hotel disappoints.

I was there with my family and we found the hotel pretty expensive for what you get. Our room was on the top floor with lovely views, but had a very leaky window and old beds. It seems that they've gotten feather top (or something similar) mattress covers to improve the situation, but generally the beds were old. Our bathroom was redone, but the rest of the room needed a face-lift. The lobby is very gorgeous, though, with tons of beautiful Scottish plaid, so maybe we had gotten our hopes up when we arrived.

We found the staff just OK as well. We asked for assistance in booking afternoon tea and taxis and neither worked out, so we wound up figuring it out ourselves.

Personally, I'd try to stay a bit closer to the Royal Mile the next time. Although it's a good location, it's still quite far from most of the main sites.

Room Tip: The top floor has the best views.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2012

I am encouraged that this review is on the whole very complimentary about the Old Waverley but I am disappointed to learn that this guest found the bed to be uncomfortable. However, I am pleased to announce that we have just recently completed a full upgrade of all our beds and every one has now been replaced.

Reviewed 29 September 2012

We stayed for a long weekend for my wifes 50th and had looked for a quaint central place and found the old waverley. Staff very polite, friendly and helpful especially Dawid the top notch barman in the lounge. Excellent views of Princes street and the Scott monument from our room, a little disappointed with the standard of the Carpet and Decor both tired and frayed. we had booked a taxi for the Friday evening at 7.15pm, sadly it didn't turn up and we had to dash to the taxi rank along the road to get to our booked table on time, then awoken with a call to say the taxi had arrived, at 7.15am Saturday!!
We know it is a 3 star hotel but even given the location we feel they do need to up their game to justify the prices. We would stay there again if there were improvements made.

Room Tip: the higher you get the less traffic noise you get
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2012

A great review and I am glad to hear that this traveller found so much to love about the Old Waverley. I am sorry that they were disturbed by the tram works but these will be drawing to a close soon - one point, the door needs to be heavy so that it doesn't bang during windy days as we dont have the space for a sliding door!

Reviewed 25 September 2012

The Old Waverly has an ideal location in Edinburgh, which is the main reason I chose it. I was staying over a few days with no car so it was nice and fairly central to everything I wanted to see and do.

It is a short walk to the the Royal Mile and Edinburgh Castle as well as several nearby restaurants. That's the good and the reasons why I took it.

Coming from outside of the UK I am dependant on adapters for my electronics and there was only 1 available outlet in my room without moving all of the furniture (and this was in the bathroom).

I had to pay for wireless access, which in this day and age in simply unforgivable, especially since it was such a terrible signal (I had to choose whether I wanted my phone or tablet online because the signal couldn't handle two devices, and further if a device went to sleep I had to put the key back in).

I was shocked at the expense of getting a few shirts laundered prior to leaving - it turns out that they send them out to a dry cleaner rather than do them on site with their sheets and towels which is all I want. It cost £25 for each the laundry and the crappy wireless (so £50).

The building maintains a historic look but that's no reason to have ancient single pane glass. All that results in is heat loss and a lot of street noise coming in every single night I there when the bars let out, invariably waking me (I didn't go there for night life I was there for other reasons).

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank sabrefreak
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at The Old Waverley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2012

Many thanks for the feedback and I am sorry that not everything was to your satisfaction during your stay. Our wifi charges are fairly standard and at only £5 for 24 hours are exceptionally reasonable, and we do not have an in-house laundry so we have to send items out which are always returned on the same day, and again these charges are exceedingly modest.

Reviewed 25 September 2012

Short stay whilst visiting the tattoo found the location perfect, it took us longer to find our way out of rail station than the walk to hotel. Stayed in budget room which was as described and couldnt complain about that except the shower rail which was fitted over the bath and it fell down. Then noticed it was in bad state red rusty. A let down not what should be found particularly when considering the room rates which were a premium. In general found staff to be helpfull and polite, but I had booked over internet room only where offer was take print out of invoice for half price breakfast yet reception kept asking for voucher despite having been shown invoice and written confirmation of instructions. Then found it somewhat annoying when having breakfast to be told it not included this even happened after I had settled the extras bill. Would stay there again but would look for a better deal first.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank barney h

Great to hear this guest enjoyed themelves at the Old Waverley and many thanks for the kind words, especially regarding our fantastic location. Apologies for any confusion regarding booking of breakfast but we have simplified the process now and would urge all guests to book directly on our own website for the very best deals.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

Sick of those chain hotels? Like something with old age charm yet comfy beds and nice big T.V screens right in front of the bed so you can comfortably watch telly after walking around the city? Then is the hotel for you.
Can't knock the location of this place with views once you walk out the door and some great pubs and places to eat within a stones through. Friendly and efficient staff, clean and spacious rooms albeit with a fairly slow elevator! I had a fairly basic room, mainly because of budget, not a great view but great size room for city centre with nice comfy bed.
Didn't opt for the breakkie as it was a bit pricey but little greasy spoon round the corner (snax cafe) which does a fine full Scottish for a few quid. Also just around the corner you can find the Guilford arms pub and many shopping places, stones throw to Rose's street, Waverley station etc etc..

All in all great hotel and would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: you pay more for the view so keep that in mind, my room looked out over an alley!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

A great review and my thanks to his guest for sharing their kind words with the wider community. I look forward to welcoming this guest back sometime in the near future.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

The location in Princes Street opposite Waverley Station makes it the perfect hotel for a short city break. Tourist sites are within walking distance and and buses to Ocean Terminal (Royall Yacht Britannia) leave from outside the hotel. The bedroom had an excellent view across Princes Street Gardens and was both clean and comfortable with good bathroom shower. Breakfast offered a wide choice and service throughout the hotel was very good. The Old Waverley is good value for a city centre hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2012

stayed here in Feb 12 over Valentines day etc and had the most amazing time. We've stayed here before years ago and the standards are still high as ever. We were booked on a B&B basis which was a buffet breakfast of excellent quality. Also if you had wanted boiled egg e.g they cooked that especially for you. I love the charm of the Old Waverley, its the only place we would stay in that beautiful city. Thoroughly enjoyed it all. Lovely comfy, clean and modern room with nice bathroom facilities and I do like when hotels supply the shower gels etc, nice little touches which make all the difference. I wont forget the gorgeous smells throughout the hotel but that is mostly because LUSH is just next door and the scents waft up to the hotel! Any time I pass a Lush shop now I remember my Edinburgh weekend with fondness :)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple